did I make a good deal?

This is a discussion on did I make a good deal? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hey guys, it's been a while. I looked around my place the other day and noticed that I had a lot of handguns... That isn't ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: did I make a good deal?

did I make a good deal?

Hey guys, it's been a while.

I looked around my place the other day and noticed that I had a lot of handguns... That isn't a bad thing, lol, but I realized that I only used one or two of them on a consistent basis. My first carry gun was a Bersa .380, then when I had the money I upgraded to a Taurus .38, then to a Ruger .45LC (which was not so easy to carry), and then to a Taurus 9mm and so on until I had built this "collection", but I only carried the newest one that I had, which wasn't all that great of a gun to begin with. So I thought that I would trade them all in, and get a really nice gun!

So I traded them in, and got a new Springfield G.I. 1911-A1, a nice leather holster, a couple boxes of ammo, and some profit. I'm pretty proud of it since it's the nicest gun I've had so far, but some people are questioning my reasoning behind trading in some good "concealed carry guns" for a large, antiquated, pistol that was meant more for collectors of WWII gear than for concealed carry. So I have to ask the experts, did I make a good deal?

I've spent some time getting aquainted with it, and shot it a few times on the range with no problems, and even though I'm skinny it conceals pretty well for me.
    Eat a moose... 50,000 wolves can't be wrong.

2. Remove Ads

I carry a commander size 1911 and have a Springfield 1911 SS 5" that I could carry and conceal almost as easy
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

I would have to say its all in your preference. I have told myself I do not want to ever sell any of my guns. I would love to have a ridiculous "collection" that I could pass on to my kids one day. I have also seen some friends who have sold their weapons regret it shortly after. That being said, I could see the point of streamlining down to 1 or 2 guns of the same caliber to save on money so as to be able to shoot 'em more. If you are happy with your trade and are confident you will be able to defend yourself with your new gun it doesnt matter what anyone else thinks.

My personal taste..I would have went for something else but thats just me. if it works for you thats all that matters.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Question

for a large, antiquated, pistol that was meant more for collectors of WWII gear than for concealed carry.
    Huhh???
    "Those who would give up essential liberties for a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty or safety" -Benjamin Franklin-

Mic
    Quote Originally Posted by Wiggy View Post
    , but some people are questioning my reasoning behind trading in some good "concealed carry guns" for a large, antiquated, pistol that was meant more for collectors of WWII gear than for concealed carry.
    Great gun, enjoy it. Defiantly a trade up, Bersa and Taurus are not on my top ten list of guns to own or CC. I carry a Glock 22, about the same size as your 1911 so I don't See any problems with CC, the right holster will do it. Ever see the movie Grand Torino? Clint Eastwood is tall and slender, wearing a light jacket and where did that 1911 come from? not like homie's situational awareness was up.
    Timid people sleep peacefully at night because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Molôn Labé!

Distinguished Member Array Brady's Avatar
    What ever you want is what counts. Probably should have kept one for a backup though.
    ...he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one. Luke 22:36
    USN/VET; NRA; GOA, jpfo.org
    Life in a Jar: The Irena Sendler Project www.irenasendler.com

Administrator

Thumbs up

I would not have owned the 2 Taurus handguns in the first place (a personal quirk of mine) but, since you did....you made a good trade.

You WILL soon find out how good that 1911 holster is though.

You should also note that you will need a really good and proper gun belt to "daily carry" that 1911.

It certainly is possible to carry a 1911 every day provided that you also own good gun leather.

Gee Willikers....I carry that large, antiquated, pistol that was meant more for collectors of WWII gear than for concealed carry almost every day.

But, then again...what do I....(a lowly dumb & uneducated successful gun forum administrator) know about carrying handguns?

I'm (for sure) not carrying mine only because I owned two Taurus guns and a Bersa that I wanted to dump.

You did just fine.

Don't let anybody tell you any different.
    Or rather...you can allow them to tell you different...just don't pay any attention to whatever it is that they tell you.

If your happy that's all that matters!!!
    When Seconds Count, The Cops Are Just Minutes Away!!
    Carry On!
    NCHornet

I had to buy a brand-new stainless steel 1911 Colt .45, because that old $150 black steel sloppy-slide military model was not accurate or pretty or tight enough. I deserved it. So, it now lays hidden within a nice padded plastic box. A Kel-Tec P-11 is inside my HHR car door pouch. An H&R .32 revolver is atop of this end table next to me. That old Colt is loaded and ready inside my night stand. Someday, after the globe gets warmer, I am going to have to shoot my pretty new big shiny 1911 pistol! Will it hurt it to get it dirty?

GM
    I guess the answer can vary drastically, depending on whom you ask. I do not sell any of my guns unless I am very disappointed with them; I just get new ones. On the other hand, I never would own two Taurus; and you got a very nice pistol.

Concerning the people that says “a large, antiquated, pistol that was meant more for collectors of WWII gear than for concealed carry”; IMO they do not know what they are talking about. I am a huge fan of 1911 and Browning Hi Power, and I my primary carry is a BHP. Hopefully, I will soon be able to get a Colt 70 series replica which I am planning to carry too.

And the most important of all … the only that matters is that you are happy
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

cmb
    I love my 1911, its a Springfield light weight full size, carry it most days, I think the lightweight helps, save about 1/2 a pound but as was stated a good belt and rig make the difference. I too would have kept a BUG. just something about having a second gun to access if needed. If you are happy with your trade then it shouldn't matter what I think! You now have a reason to buy something else!

The "large, antiquated" part was other people's words, not mine, lol. Obviously, if I didn't like 1911's, I wouldn't have bought one. I think they were just commenting on the specific model being marketed more to collectors than for concealed carry.

I still have two other handguns that I could carry in case something happens to this one, they just aren't great calibers for SD (.22mag and .32). So far, I've had no problems with the 1911, although I can see that I may need a better belt.

And about the Taurus pistols, I never had a problem with them either, one was the ultra-lite and the other was a PT-111 Mill Pro. After hundreds of rounds, I never had a hiccup with either of them. I must have been lucky. The Bersa did break a spring at one point, but it was fixed free of charge and I never had another problem with it. Overall, I'm happy with my upgrade, I've just never seen too many other people pack a full sized 1911 for EDC.
    Eat a moose... 50,000 wolves can't be wrong.

All looks great to me, the Taurus guns work fine for me too..

I carry a 1911 everyday with no problems. If you are happy than it does not matter what others think. Good Luck and stay safe.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links