Question About Buying Used

This is a discussion on Question About Buying Used within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; When you're looking for used guns, and you see "Only fired x amount of rounds through it!", do you believe that number or do you ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Question About Buying Used

Distinguished Member Array BlueNinjaGo's Avatar

Question About Buying Used

When you're looking for used guns, and you see "Only fired x amount of rounds through it!", do you believe that number or do you do a quick mental calculation.

For example, I saw a used Glock online and the seller said "Only 30 or so rounds through it." and I couldn't help to think "B/S!".

My buddy told me he always doubles the number for a better estimation.

So, do you typically believe the owners, or what? (Assuming you're not friends/family with the original owner.)

2. Remove Ads

I believe nothing that is said when someone wants to sell me something.

I look carefully at the bore. I look at the hammer surface if it has an exposed hammer. I look at all visible moving parts for wear and to determine the level of care with which it has been maintained.
    Gun Control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound.

-- L. Neil Smith

VIP Member
    I am not inclined to buy anything used/refurbished sight unseen, especially guns. 30 rounds fired but maybe the last round was a squib that bulged the barrel.

Unless I look at it, feel it, no sale.
    "Mind own business"
    "Always cut cards"

Caveat Emptor. Inspect the gun and make your own estimation.

At 30 rounds the GLOCK will only have little smilies on the barrel, no serious wear. If you see silver, it's been shot more.
    "What does Marcellus Wallace LOOK like?"

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    30 or so rounds? Unless the guy had the sales receipt that showed he bought it last weekend, no. And the amount of care a firearm receives is more important than the number of rounds. Look for obvious wear and tear. A gun with 30 or so rounds shouldn't have any. If it's been cared for properly, an often fired gun can still be a great buy.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueNinjaGo View Post
    When you're looking for used guns, and you see "Only fired x amount of rounds through it!", do you believe that number or do you do a quick mental calculation.

For example, I saw a used Glock online and the seller said "Only 30 or so rounds through it." and I couldn't help to think "B/S!".

My buddy told me he always doubles the number for a better estimation.

So, do you typically believe the owners, or what? (Assuming you're not friends/family with the original owner.)
    I believe it, just like I believe the used car salesman who says "It was only driven by a little old lady to church on Sundays."
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

VIP Member
    I wouldn't buy anything used online.
    Mark Twain:
    The government is merely a servant -- merely a temporary servant; it cannot be its prerogative to determine what is right and what is wrong, and decide who is a
    patriot and who isn't. Its function is to obey orders, not originate them.

I have bought only a few used. Follow the advice above. I get nervous with previous owners, careful.

I always prefer to buy new but that being said..I just bought a used pistol today myself. Like they've said above, talk is cheap..look it over and you'll be able to tell. Look for the silver on moving parts of blued weapons, look for the ring on cylinders of revolvers, are the chamber ends burned and discolored? etc., etc. None of these things are disqualifiers by themselves, but if someone is trying to tell you that it has'nt been fired and it obviously has...that's a disqualifier for me because you now have no idea what else the weapon has suffered, because that same person is sure not going to tell you!
    From then on its seen with a BIG red warning flag.
    Good luck..there are some great deals out there.

I dont buy anything used online either. In person, I ask if I can disassemble and then I look over EVERYTHING! If the gun is dirty, its a no go or $$ off. As I start pointing out defects the $$ goes down unless I see something that is major and then I just walk away. If they are selling the gun, there is a reason and they probably wont tell you the truth. I dont listen to the "round count," I examine the firearm and make my own guesstimation. This comes with time. (the ability to look down a bore and see the wear and come up with a rough idea of how many rounds.) I want to shoot the gun too, before I buy. If I dont get to, its not a big deal. I take snap caps with me for the caliber and I WILL dry fire it.

30 Rounds?? I dont think I have ever met someone who buys a gun, puts half a box through it, puts it away, and then sells it. Your going to shoot at least a box and then if you dont like it, sell it immediately. Paper work also comes into play.

Mic
    Who only shoots 30 rds? I don't even buy a box of ammo that small.
    The ol saying goes "buyer beware"
    Timid people sleep peacefully at night because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Molôn Labé!

Administrator
    Actually some folks only do shoot a few rounds out of a firearm and then go and trade it in for something else.
    At least here in PA they do.

It's very possible to get a "used firearm price" on say...a S&W Airweight Snubbie that some guy bought for his Wife.

Distinguished Member Array BlueNinjaGo's Avatar
    Thanks for the good advice.. nothing i didn't already know but good advice nevertheless. I think I'll stick to buying new, just because I love the satisfaction. I brought it up because I see on websites and on here, people saying "i bought a used guns that only had x amount of rounds through it." I was just curious who actually believes that. (Whether or not they believe it, I assumed they all look it over, inside and out.)

Quote Originally Posted by Mic View Post
    Who only shoots 30 rds? I don't even buy a box of ammo that small.
    The ol saying goes "buyer beware"
    I can't find the glock, but here's someone....

I actually see a surprising amount of used guns with low "round counts."

You'd be surprised.

I bought a used G17 last month at a gun show; the seller said that it had been very lightly used, "probably less than 200 rounds"; and while this was from a very reputable seller, I did do a double check--the copper anti-seize was still on the slide, the trigger was still fairly stiff...which usually means very few rounds have been fired.

I bought it with confidence that it was as described, and am quite happy with it.

Caveat emptor, of course, and know what you're looking at...but there are some pistols out there which have been shot very little that can be had for a very reasonable price.
    There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.--RAH

...man fights with his mind; the weapons are incidental.--Jeff Cooper

There is a reason they try and make small bullets act like big bullets--Glockmann10mm

IHS
    Many first-time buyers will purchase a new pistol or revolver, shoot a handful of rounds through it, then decide they don't like it or can't hit with it.

Also gun shops around here sell a brand new gun as "used" if it walks out the door, then comes back a day or a week later. I have bought a few "used" and unfired handguns and rifles in my day. I have owned new pistols that began to show bluing wear after only half a box of ammo...

A simple visual inspection will tell you a lot.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links