eye dominance questions

This is a discussion on eye dominance questions within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have a general question about eye dominance, years ago when I was shooting handguns constantly I was right eye dominant , quit shooting handguns ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: eye dominance questions

eye dominance questions

I have a general question about eye dominance, years ago when I was shooting handguns constantly I was right eye dominant , quit shooting handguns for years , but continued hunting with long guns , still shoot them with my right eye with a scope . Now I am getting back into handguns , rented a few diffferent ones trying to decide what to buy. I plan on getting an SA xdm 40 but for now I bought a new S&W SW40VE (sigma) havent shot it yet , but all the different gun rentals (SA xds, 1911's, etc. )were off target a little , did a couple different tests to check eye dominance seems like I'm now left eye dominant . I am right handed my questions are , continue right hand try left eye , try left handed left eye , or could it work by moving rear sight sideways to move POI to where it will hit COM using left eye right hand Thanks for help or suggestions

2. Remove Ads

I am right handed and am left eye dominant...I shoot right handed with my left eye.I have taught myself to shoot with either hand and am proficient enough to protect myself left handed.. I wouldn't change the sights..it won't take long for you to get used to it...Robbie

There is no shame in closing your left eye.

I've always closed my left eye when aiming down the sights

The nice thing about eyes is that they can be retrained. Try blackening the left side of your eye protection at the range. If the left eye dominance persists, switch hands. Being ambidextrous in a shootout is a good thing. If all else fails, whichever hand the gun is in, close the opposite eye.
    "A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have." - Thomas Jefferson

Distinguished Member Array Rexster's Avatar
    I am left-eye dominant, but carry my "primary" handgun on my right hip. My sights are not set-up off-center to compensate, and I would not recommend doing so. I don't use the "Classic Weaver" stance, so there are no issues about lining the gun up with any certain eye. I use a symmetrical hold, handgun centered, and just look at the sights with both eyes. Yes, sometimes I will squint one eye, or tilt my head just a bit, but if one's arms are symmetrical with a two-handed hold, then we are really making a big fuss about a non-issue.

I have trained myself to fire one-handed with either hand, bringing the pistol up in front of my face, so both eyes can do their work. Don't get all concerned about a "proper" bullseye stance, unless you are shooting a bullseye match.

In a defensive situation, things are dynamic, anyway, and a stance is what my teacher SouthNarc terms "...a moment in time; a moment in time." (He repeats it for emphasis.) Don't get all concerned with foot position and holding the handgun in front of the dominant eye. Center the handgun, use both eyes, and be done with it.

With rifles, I do shoot from the left shoulder nowadays. I used to shoot from the right shoulder, and shut the left eye, but long ago figured that was a bad idea, as I carry firearms for deadly serious purposes, along with a badge, and the responsibility of having sworn an oath. If I have to shoot a long gun fast, it is best to shoot from the shoulder corresponding to the dominant eye, and keep both eyes open for multiple bad guys.

FWIW, I am left-handed, too, overall, but have always shot some handguns better right-handed, including the heavy double-action revolvers which I had to use at the start of my police career. The right hip is also a much more accessible place from which to draw a handgun when seated inside many vehicles, in particular a mid-1980's patrol car.

Edited to add: Just to be clear, I do train to be ambidextrous with my serious handguns!

Distinguished Member Array REVMAN's Avatar
    I always shoot with both eyes open.
    Always put Jesus first in your life.
    NRA (Lifetime Member)
    U.S. Navy Vet.

Quote Originally Posted by REVMAN View Post
    I always shoot with both eyes open.
    +1 Why would anyone want to forfeit about 80 degrees of peripheral vision and depth perception too? Unless a scope is involved anyway.
    “Owning a handgun doesn’t make you armed any more than owning a guitar makes you a musician.” Jeff Cooper

http://carniakcustom.com/

Rexster is right. The "Classic Weaver" stance works great for eye dominant shooters. However, a straight on, bent knee, arms in front, leaning forward position gives you the ability to keep both eyes on target. Right or left hand at 7-15 yards will result in 1-2 inch variations in grouping. So my suggestion, as always, 2 to the chest 1 to the head. Always shoot twice. Double taps will compensate for target shift. As for rifle shooting, whatever is more comfortable is your best bet. It is very hard to get a second shot at long distance, so make the first one count.
    "A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have." - Thomas Jefferson

Eyes

I shoot right handed but left eyed. Reason: I wear contact lenses and the left eye has better vision for close and far. The right is set for far only and I have a hard time with it trying to pickup the sights. Left eye, I can put all the shots where it counts, rapid fire.
    Gotta do whatevers best for you.

I am Right handed, left eye dominant. In a defensive situation, most times, stance will not mean a hill of beans! Weaver, Isoceles, i.e....WHO CARES! You had best be "getting off the X" and MOVING...Did I say M.O.V.E. (Motionless Operators Ventilate Easily). Of course if you ask the BG nicely, he may allow you to assume a straight on, bent knee, arms in front, leaning forward position giving you the ability to keep both eyes on him. If you ask nicely he may also allow you to double tap to COM and give him one to the head. As Rexter says: In a defensive situation, things are dynamic, anyway, and a stance is what my teacher SouthNarc terms "...a moment in time; a moment in time." (He repeats it for emphasis.) Don't get all concerned with foot position and holding the handgun in front of the dominant eye. Center the handgun, use both eyes, and be done with it. Now if you are just in to punching holes in paper and not training to protect yourself and your family, then by all means find a stance that will allow you to utilize your abilities to the max. JMO
    Sometimes in life you have to stand your ground. It's a hard lesson to learn and even most adults don't get it, but in the end only I can be responsible for my life. If faced with any type of adversity, only I can overcome it. Waiting for someone else to take responsibility is a long fruitless wait.

I have the same affliction...practice practice practice. the gun will go to your dominant eye with muscle memory. It wont know its not supposed to.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

VIP Member
    I also have this issue. I used to close my left eye, and that is a perfectly valid option. (If you only close the eye for the split second you're actually taking a shot you're not losing anything, if you're using your peripheral vision at that point there's a very good chance you're not hitting what your aiming at anyway.) But I found it became easier to just move the gun over an inch or two and let me left eye do the work.
    "The only people I like besides my wife and children are Marines."
    - Lt. Col. Oliver North

Distinguished Member Array Rexster's Avatar
    On a summer night in 1993, I put a hole right through the sternum of an armed opponent. Had he been a B-27, it would have been an X-ring hit. Both eyes open, arms symmetrical, looking OVER the top of my gun, so the sights were at the bottom of my visual field. Out to about seven yards, this is how I shoot at human-silhouette targets, too, and get good hits. As the range gets longer, bring the pistol up to line of sight. Slightly tilt head as necessary, but try to keep both eyes open. This is my way. Basically, it is Massad Ayoob's Stressfire method, as I learned it from his book. (GOOD book! I never adopted Mas' revolver speedloading method, however.) Later, my PD adopted it.

rexter does that mean you pretty much point aim up to about 7 yards then go to the sights?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links