Kel-Tec PF9

This is a discussion on Kel-Tec PF9 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I recently switched from the Glock 23 .40 cal to the Kel-Tec PF9 as my primary CCW. The Glock's slide scars my hand everytime no ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Kel-Tec PF9

Kel-Tec PF9

I recently switched from the Glock 23 .40 cal to the Kel-Tec PF9 as my primary CCW. The Glock's slide scars my hand everytime no matter what model and I'm tired of it. My Sig P226 and Mosquito never do because of the higher slide clearance. The Kel-Tec PF9 kicks a little but feels smooth in my hand and doesnt scar. I am concerned I took a downgrade because I love the .40 caliber. Please tell me I made a good decision. I know the balistics of 9mm vs .40, but comfort and concealability are more important then slug size. Thanks.
    "A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have." - Thomas Jefferson

2. Remove Ads

9 vs 40

Quote Originally Posted by wllmandre View Post
    I recently switched from the Glock 23 .40 cal to the Kel-Tec PF9 as my primary CCW. The Glock's slide scars my hand everytime no matter what model and I'm tired of it. My Sig P226 and Mosquito never do because of the higher slide clearance. The Kel-Tec PF9 kicks a little but feels smooth in my hand and doesnt scar. I am concerned I took a downgrade because I love the .40 caliber. Please tell me I made a good decision. I know the balistics of 9mm vs .40, but comfort and concealability are more important then slug size. Thanks.
    Its just like the 380 vs 9 debate.
    On paper the 40 has more power. However, the question is would the BG know the difference? I think not. Lets not get into a debate of the relative power ratings of each. Thats not what this is about.

Apparently the glock was causing some problems in operation which MAY effect your ability to place the first shot where it would do the job. If the KT (or any other 9) allows you to place the shot where its intended to go, its a better gun for YOU. What this is about is the best gun for YOU, not someone else.
    A 9 in the upper chest is certainly better than a 40 in the stomach. Shot placement is the key. And, the KT PF9 is certainly no mouse gun, especially with todays high performance ammo.

caliber wars again. any caliber is better than no caliber.
    An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Red State State of Mind

IMO it's a downgrade not because of caliber but in the quality of pistol. I made the same switch but in reverse going from the PF9 to the Glock 19/23 because they are closer to a full size pistol and therefore much easier to control. Not to mention a much higher capacity.
    For me the PF9 was too jumpy/snappy and I had a hard time putting follow up shots on target accurately. But to each his own and since I can't say I've had any problems with slide scar I will be sticking with the Glocks.
    Colt New Agent, Dan Wesson V-Bob, Glock 19,20SF, 23, 26, 27, 29, 30SF, 36, Kahr P380 w/CT, PM9, PM45, CW9(SOLD), Kel-Tec P32, P3AT, PF9(SOLD), Kimber Ultra Crimson Carry II, Stainless Pro TLE/RL II (SOLD), Rohrbaugh R9s, Ruger LCP w/CT, LCR, SP101 S&W J-Frame 638 w/CT, M&P 340 w/CT, Walther PPK/S

Check Corbon's DPX in 9mm. Now THAT'S ballistics! Don't worry, you're not under-gunned with a 9mm.

Anything with enough horsepower to hit the vitals and provided you can put the rounds on target is key to any fight.

9mm vs .40 horsepower goes to the .40. Will it do a better job at stopping the fight, I wouldn't worry about it. For me, I'm not looking for a one shot stop no matter what caliber I'm carrying. Truth be known, I feel just a confident in my ability with my .380 for CC. I say carry what makes you comfortable, both physically and mentally. IMO they both have a great deal to do with CC. I've been CC for a long time and the comfort factor along with the ability to provide deep concealment goes a long way in the professional world. I'll take a .380 in my pocket any day, cause I know I can dot the head up pretty good at 10'.

GBK
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

Ron
    I also recently started carrying a PF-9, particularly for pocket and OWB carry. I practice quite a bit, and have gotten quite accurate with it, at least at realistic distances. Follow up shots are also not an issue once you get a feel for the reset.

It is not a Glock or 1911, but for me the ease of carry is worth it.
    "It does not do to leave a dragon out of your calculations, if you live near him."

J. R. R. Tolkien

If you feel more comfortable shooting it and have confidence in it, then you made the right decision. It is your opinion that counts. You are the one who has to be comfortable shooting it - not us.
    If you shoot it better, then it was a good choice.
    "Being PARANOID is just plain smart thinking when they are really out to get you!"

Distinguished Member Array razor02097's Avatar
    PF9 is a good CCW. Take care of it and buy good quality SD rounds for carry. Practice with it and clean it after shooting. Keltec has good CS and never has a Keltec product let me down.

Don't worry about the "downgrade" the 9mm may not have as much velocity or as heavy a bullet but you shouldn't worry both rounds will get the job done. It will be easier to conceal the PF9 then a Glock.
    There is something about firing 4,200 thirty millimeter rounds/min that makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

I think you made a good decision, the glock was uncomfortable for you. The pf9 is a great reliable gun and its easy to conceal. I carried a pf9 for quite a while and loved it, glocks are great guns but they don't do it for me either, 9mm is a great round and it has been around for a long time because it works. I carry a .357 mag mostly nowadays but I also carry a 9mm S&W which I have just as much confidence in.
    Vermont does not issue Permit/Licenses to Carry a Concealed firearm. Vermont allows anyone
    who can legally own a firearm to carry it concealed without a permit of any kind.

My primary CC is a G23. But Ive been considering a chrome PF9 mainly for bug. Nothing wrong with a 9mm. Get that PF9 broke in and your good to go. This gunsmith is supposed to be great with Kel-tecs. He will do a reliability condition and trigger job real cheap. GoldenLoki.com
    Glock 22 Gen 4, 27
    Ruger SP101 .357mag
    S&W 637 Airweight
    Ruger Single Six
    Ruger Blackhawk Bisley 45 Colt
    Mossberg 835 Grand Slam

CMR
    Quote Originally Posted by gottabkiddin View Post
    Anything with enough horsepower to hit the vitals and provided you can put the rounds on target is key to any fight.
    Exactly.
    I have a PF-9 that I use mainly for the summer time (easy to conceal in cargo shorts). Its a great CCW gun. Now if Kel Tec would only come out with one in .45acp.....
    I do have two recommendations for the PF-9 though-
    1) Get one of those Hogue Hand-All grips for it. Trust me, helps with grip and recoil.
    2) The PF-9 really doesn't feed well with 147gr bullets so I recommend the Speer Gold Dot 124+p Short Barrel ammo. CorBon is also good stuff but I prefer a heavier bullet weight.
    For a lot of people, being a victim is a way of Life. That's a Life I choose NOT to live.

A Shepherd must tend to his Flock. And at times........fight off the wolves.

Does anyone have thoughts on what type of finish to get on the gun (blued, parkerized, or hard chrome)?
    On duty: Glock 21 SF (.45) w/ Safariland Cobra Tactical holster & Remington Hallow-points
    CCW: Glock 19 Gen 3 (9mm) w/ Crossbreed Supertuck IWB holster
    Magtech Hollow-points

If you like it, can shoot it well, and it is dependable that is all that matters. Comfort in shooting is a plus also, if it hurts you, you won't want to shoot it. If you are happy I think you did well.
    Tom

Distinguished Member Array ArmyCop's Avatar
    My first CC was a 9mm Keltec - the double stack one. I like what I read about their thinner one now - the single stack.

Which one is the PF9?
    For God, Family and Country!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links