My Kimber

This is a discussion on My Kimber within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have a friend that works for one of the largest sporting goods chains in the US. He works in their gun department. He and ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: My Kimber

South of Ol' Tascosa, two miles from water, twenty miles from Hell
    I have a friend that works for one of the largest sporting goods chains in the US. He works in their gun department. He and the other folks there say that they have to return about 40% of the Kimbers they sell to the factory for warranty work. Extremely Poor Quality Control.

I bought two Kimbers the first day they were offered for sale on the market. I've never had a hiccup with either using ball, jacket hollow point, lead or truncated cone bullets.

I wouldn't buy a Kimber that is made now. When you pay $800 to $1200 for a pistol, it should work right out of the box. I have several low end 1911s, Norinco and Rock Island, that run like Singer Sewing Machines right out of the box.

Jungle Work

2. Remove Ads

how did your kimber come out,
    I got my unrea carry back the other day. they put on a new slide barrel extractor and springs. really they rebuilt it from the frame up and its great. never had a problem with mt eclipse in 10mm

I have been keeping quiet until I know whats going to happen. As of right now it is back at Kimber again. Except this time I have one of the guys in Montana working with the custom shop to get things taken care of promptly. I have received exemplary customer service from him thus far and he has promised me this issue will be resolved in a matter of days and not weeks. He has told me he will push for the gun to be replaced. Hopefully that is what will happen. I will keep you guys updated.

I just sent mine back to the factory this past Friday. It is for a minor problem but I want it fixed and fixed right. My issue (primary issue anyway) is that the rear sight fell off this past week.
    I did email the Kimber rep on another forum and will state that personally I have never received the courtesy of a reply.
    Thankfully I have a "lesser quality" handgun that stays together and shoots every time. Kimber was recommended to me by two people whom I trust, A Marine Corps Captain and an Army Special Forces Colonel, I have notifed both of them and they agree that this should not have happened and said to send it in to have the factory make it right. We'll see. I am happy to say though that I bought it at Cabella's and they are handling it and not even charging me shipping, seems as if Cabella's at least is willing to stand behind what they sell.
    I'm waiting to get it back in a few weeks and see how it is but if a lack of response from "The Kimber Rep" is indicative of their customer service then this will be my last Kimber.
    I will keep you and other members of other forums advised.

George

Well, I was considering a Kimber Pro Carry II somewhere down the line ...was. Now I think I'll focus on that Kahr P45 for a smaller, lighter (than my Mil-Spec) ACP launcher.
    Jack

This past March I bought a brand new Kimber Pro Raptor II and was extremely happy with it till I went to the range, then I had nothing but FTE and FTF using various ammo.

Sent it back to Kimber twice and still had the same problems. Finally ended up selling it last week and went back to my Sig 220. I heard some stories about Kimber and their problems but figured I would give them a try for myself.

12 weeks is too long for a gun like this. for the price of them you can buy a gun that will not stay at the factory for 12 weeks.

Well I just got the gun back from Kimber. They left me a message yesterday saying it was on it's way back and I would have it today. So I guess the replacing it thing went out the window. Well Dennis said the ejector was a bit too long and they had to take 35 thousanths off of it and they adjusted the extractor and said it is running fine now. So they admitted there was a problem once again and it was not me. I can't shoot it until Saturday so I'll let you guys know how it goes. At least going through the guy in Montana they got it back to me quick. I sent it out last Thursday and got it back this Thursday. Maybe they did fix it right this time. All I know is if I get one hiccup I will be calling Montana and telling them to get this one picked up and get another one sent to me. Hopefully it will just work and I'll be done with all this crap. All I want is a gun that works.
    Last edited by yellowv; June 8th, 2006 at 07:38 PM.

Good Luck to ya on it let us know how it runs

Distinguished Member Array snowdoctor's Avatar
    wow, I am surprised about this thread. I have never had any problems with the kimbers i have owned or currently own. I called Kimber about six months ago to request some materials. I wanted an owners manual, and a takedown tool for a 3'', everyone was very helpful and i received items promptly. then again, I didn't have a firearm issue.
    ----DOC-----

--people ask why I carry, and I show them this picture. I think it says it all.--

NRA Certified Instructor--many disciplines

I am sorry to hear about those that have problems with their kimber. Especially after two trips back to the factory. I have a Ultra Tactical II with the external extracter. It has run flawlessly since the couple hundred round break-in. During that time I had a few failures, but now Everything is running great. I carry it with confidence. Good Luck to you all.

One week and I have my gun back already, it didn't cost me a dime as Cabela's paid the shipping.
    With the customer service that I received from Cabela's, I will be making further firearms purchases from them as well as other purchases there not only continuing but increasing.

I will also take the time to thank Kimber for the fast turn around time and at this time will continue to recommend Kimber.

George

j&k short for S&W is what i here all the time and S&W makes the frames for kimber. I won't buy S&W auto or kimber

Lucky

I was lucky in that my gun shop gives 1 year in addition to Kimbers for all new guns so the THREE times my full size Eclipse went back for the same problem I got it back quickly.

Someone on the 1911 forum suggected "breaking" the shoulders of the barrell. It has been flawless since.

BTW I do not know what this means but the gunsmith did.

Well after receiving my Eclipse back from Kimber the other day for the third time it still doesn't work. I was once again told by Dennis it was test fired and worked properly yet on the first mag I get a FTE, then another on the next mag, and yet another on the next mag. All different mags by the way. This continued as long as I continued to shoot the pistol which wasn't very long. The gun was clean and lubed. I also let my buddy shoot several mags and he had the same problem. The whole time he shot my Eclipse I shot his Stainless Ultra Carry with not one problem and vice versa. We also used all of my mags in his gun with no issues. This time I had my buddy video the shooting and as soon as he e-mails me the video I will post it. I did not have any FTF's this outing due to the fact I polished the feedramp MYSELF before I sent it back the last time. I will call on Monday and they will replace this gun or send me my money back. I will not send it back to be "fixed again". Obviously the Kimber custom shop doesn't know how to work on their own guns.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links