My Kimber

My Kimber

This is a discussion on My Kimber within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Well I just thought I would post a pic of my Eclipse Ultra hoping maybe I would have a week of good luck with it. ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: My Kimber

My Kimber

Well I just thought I would post a pic of my Eclipse Ultra hoping maybe I would have a week of good luck with it. After several weeks of bad luck. I am supposed to get it back from Kimber this week. It is on it's second trip there for extraction and feeding issues. They have had it a total of about 12 weeks and I am hopefully supposed to get it back late in the week. Hopefully running 100%. I am also supposed to get my Max Con V from Gary this week. Cross your fingers for me guys. Thanks :)

Fingers crossed!
    I really hope it works out, never had a problem with my Kimber.

Distinguished Member Array RSSZ's Avatar
    I,as a Kimber owner(two UC II CDP's) I would be very much interested in >>>1.the problem with the weapon, 2. what Kimber did to fix the problem,and 3. how did they treat you during the process.

I am not affiliated with Kimber in any way,but I am in a position to reccomend weapons to shooters for both CC,target,and competition.

What mag(s) were you using during the problems? Did you do a F&B on the weapon? If so,what did you do? Was the weapon bought new? How often,where,and what type of lube did you use on the weapon? How many rounds does it have thru it total? What type of ammo did you use or try?

As a fellow shooter I can relate to this problem and just hope that Kimber makes the "gettin' it fixed process" as painless as possible. --------

A belated welcome to the forum yellowv. If someone here can't help with your Kimber problems you may want to try 1911forum.com. they have a section dedicated to Kimbers. Good luck.......Bob
    The power of the future is in its ability to inspire the present.

Sorry about those pistol issues - hope Kimber straightens it all out for ya
    "To disarm the people is the best and most effective way to enslave them."
    George Mason

"Gun control is a job-safety program for criminals."
    John R. Lott

The gun was bought new. It was originally an external extractor gun.

First trip to the range using mine as well as several of my buddies kimber mags (which work flawlessly in his ultra) I had a bunch of FTE's using WWB 230 gr FMJ. It went back to Kimber and they replaced the slide with an internal extractor slide. Took about 5 weeks and the customer service sucked. They never called me once to let me know what was going on and acted bothered every time I called to find out.

It pretty much sat at their shop the entire time they had it, and actually sat for just short of two weeks after the slide was replaced just waiting to be test fired. I got it back and went to the range and on the first shot took a casing to the forehead. Took another shot and then a failure to feed. This continued until I finally gave up after about 100 rds and about 10 FTF's. This was using the Kimber mag and a couple of brand new Wilsons and both WWB and Remington UMC 230gr ball. Sent it back again.

The same brand of bad customer service has continued and they say the new slide they put on is out of spec. So now I have been waiting six weeks. Hopefully it will work this time after I get it back. Oh it was properly cleaned and lubed.

Obviously the problem was not me if Kimber is willing to change the slide twice.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    (Spaced out your post to aid readability! P95)

Distinguished Member Array RSSZ's Avatar
    yellowv, Thank you sir, for your reply and explanation. Hope your weapon will be flawless apon its return to you. --------

Good luck to ya that sucks for my taste send me a new gun

Quote Originally Posted by Bud White
    Good luck to ya that sucks for my taste send me a new gun
    Amen to that. I actually hope upon their test fire it still doesn't work and they will just replace it. It's going to take a lot for me to trust a gun for carry that has had this many problems.

Well I finally got a call from Dennis at kimber today. He said my gun was done and should be back to me tommorrow. He said they put 8 mags of ball though it and about 8 mags of hollow points and it had no malfunctions. Hopefully it runs like that for me.

Quote Originally Posted by yellowv
    Well I finally got a call from Dennis at kimber today. He said my gun was done and should be back to me tommorrow. He said they put 8 mags of ball though it and about 8 mags of hollow points and it had no malfunctions. Hopefully it runs like that for me.
    i hope so nothing like buying a new pistol and wont run out of the box

That's a sweet looking Kimber Yellow, really hate to hear it's giving you fits. I've heard similar reports of PP customer service from Kimber in the past but I was under the impression they had gotten better.

You're probably already aware of this but those really short slides need a death grip to run right. I had a similar problem with an SA Ultra Compact Hicap and the only way I could get consistent cycling was to use a lighter recoil spring AND 185 +P ammo to monkey with cycle timing. It worked but it wasn't at all fun to shoot ... and talk about LOUD!!! I was also concerned it would end up battering the slide and frame so I ended up trading it for something else at the shop where I bought it. Loved the size for carry but just didn't feel like I could trust it anymore. Because of that gun I won't trust a 1911 under 4.25" anymore (4.00" at the very minimum).

Keep us up on how the relacement runs for you. I was considering a Compact Carry II as my next purchase because of the lightweight frame but now I think I'll hold out for a LW XSE Colt Commander.
    Jack

Great looking firearm...wish you luck with the service call.
    -Bill

"Better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it."

My buddy has used a Stainless Ultra carry as his CCW piece for years. It has always run great. He has thousands of rounds through it (several hundred of them fired by me with no problems) with only a FTF here and there when he lets it get real filthy. That is why I picked this one up. I have heard of many 3" Kimbers that run fine as well as some that have their problems. Hopefully it runs good this time. If not I will except no less than another gun. So far when the gun didn't jam it has been an awesome shooter. It is the only 3" Kimber offers with a steel frame and if it would run right it would be a joy to shoot. It handles MUCH better than my buddy's aluminum framed Ultra. It's a heavy little bugger.

Sound a lot like my SA UC HC. That was an all stainless gun as well. I tend to like all steel guns for the most part as they help absorb recoil - wouldn't trade my 642 though.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links