Used Glock 22 with modified trigger guard

This is a discussion on Used Glock 22 with modified trigger guard within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My father has been eager to get his hands on a handgun for a while now due to the changing world we live in. While ...

Thread: Used Glock 22 with modified trigger guard

Used Glock 22 with modified trigger guard

My father has been eager to get his hands on a handgun for a while now due to the changing world we live in. While he carried a pistol when he was in the Army stationed in Korea (tank crew) he was never a gun guy. So, he called me this morning and he had stopped in a pawn shop while out of town. They were trying to sell him on some off brands for jacked up prices. Then he mentioned, well they have a used Glock 22 (Gen 2) for $400.

He said it felt very comfortable in his hand, and since I have a 27, he wanted something in a .40 as well so we could share ammo. As a bonus, I've been looking for a Gen-2 22 as well since I like the flat grip so I'm thinking win-win all around. If he winds up not liking it I'll buy it from him.

Well, despite me asking the guy over the phone several questions, I forgot to ask, "Has it been modified" and thinking back, his wording was very careful about everything. My dad not being familiar with Glocks, didn't really know what to look for. He went for it and brought it to me to check out.

The front of the trigger guard has a large circular area drilled out and the back side of that which is the front interior of the guard has two smaller holes side by side. The underside of the guard where it meets the front-strap has a rectangular hole. They have been filled in with black silicone in an attempt to hide the holes. I am guessing there was some sort of light or laser attached. Anyone have a clue what was probably attached there?

After spending about an hour cleaning out the massive amount of excess oil it was swimming in, it seems structurally sound. Barrel interior looks excellent. Signs of it being carried quite a bit but not having been fired all that much. Plan on taking it to the range tomorrow. Gotta pick up some new mags though. One 15 rd, the rest are ban era 10 rd)

Fortunately, we live relatively close to the Glock facility in Smyrna so we'll ride up one day and get it checked out.

(and to the ones that scream buyer beware, as a business owner I point out any and all anomalies I am aware of on the products I sell, especially on used gear so yes, I am very PO'd)
    Glock 22 (G2) & 27 (G3)
    S&W 686 .357 4" Stainless Pre-lock
    Ruger 10/22
    Marlin Model 65 .22LR - 1968
    Remington Model 31 16ga - 1932
    Remington 1900 12ga - 1904

2. Remove Ads

While that is a bit annoying, I can't see the cuts in the triggerguard effecting it's reliability a whit.

Just tell people they're "speed holes" for faster draws.
    There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.--RAH

...man fights with his mind; the weapons are incidental.--Jeff Cooper

There is a reason they try and make small bullets act like big bullets--Glockmann10mm

Seems about right price wise for a used G22. I would have passed on it since it since the frame has been modified. If you get adventurous you can search youtube on videos showing how to detail strip the gun, and you can figure out if the trigger has been lightened etc.

I just bought a police trade in gen2 G22 for $350 delivered. Picking it up today.

VIP Member
    Decent find. $400 sound like the most I would pay. I'd try to talk them down a little, especially considering the "frame damage".

Certainly a good idea to take it to the factory if you are that close. They will do a full inspection and bring it up to date and let you know if there is anything to be concerned about.

Good luck!
    "Mind own business"
    "Always cut cards"

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    I doubt the holes have caused any "structual" damage. Some Glock owners grind off the squared front corner of the trigger guard entirely and/or re-worked where it meets the grip.

I don't think you dad got "took" but might have gotten a slightly better deal if he'd bartered about the mods (Maybe a free box of ammo thrown in). As long as the internal parts are OEM, I think the pistol is good to go.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Distinguished Member Array razor02097's Avatar
    IMO I would try to get it repaired. Never know... it may be structurally OK but you never know the holes may cause an unsafe situation. Glock's safety has a lot to do with the trigger guard. If its modified its like modifying a safety on a pistol.

YMMV
    There is something about firing 4,200 thirty millimeter rounds/min that makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

The holes exactly describe the early internal lasers mounted on the Glocks. Can't remember if they were CT or Lasermax or what. There should also be some modifications around the rear of the grip for a battery or charging cable and an activation switch.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Quote Originally Posted by razor02097 View Post
    IMO I would try to get it repaired. Never know... it may be structurally OK but you never know the holes may cause an unsafe situation. Glock's safety has a lot to do with the trigger guard. If its modified its like modifying a safety on a pistol.

YMMV
    Other than protecting the trigger from exposure, the guard has nothing to so with the trigger safety. It's a barrier, no more, no less.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Superhouse, I think you nailed it. There is a hex head set screw installed on the back strap and I think there was another hole somewhere back there. I figured it must have been from a fairly long time ago because I wasn't coming up with anything that looked like it fit that way in my searches but at the same time, the original cuts look very clean like it was done professionally. The patch job, not so much.

Has anyone used anything in particular to repair cosmetic damage to the polymer frame? I want to do a better looking patch job to it. I have a black epoxy I use to repair plastic clarinets that I may give a shot if someone else doesn't have a better option.

OldVet: Heh, he "threw in" an extra mag to sweeten the deal.....a 10 rd ban era mag of course. My Dad was clueless about all this. Now while he didn't get "taken" as badly as he could have been, while talking to the guy it was obvious he was familiar with guns, and Glocks in particular. When I asked him, "Is there anything in particular we should know about it?" he should have told me about the mods. Omission is dishonest. So, the pawn shop made the sale but they also got a couple people that will tell everyone they can not to do business there.
    Glock 22 (G2) & 27 (G3)
    S&W 686 .357 4" Stainless Pre-lock
    Ruger 10/22
    Marlin Model 65 .22LR - 1968
    Remington Model 31 16ga - 1932
    Remington 1900 12ga - 1904

Applied Laser Systems! I finally found it. I have snatched the Google from Master Po's hand.

Patent US5208826

Links