Sig 1911 revolution...ANYONE??

This is a discussion on Sig 1911 revolution...ANYONE?? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Well, many of you know, I am a Kimber fan. BUT I went a gun show this weekend, and in a case with all those ...

Thread: Sig 1911 revolution...ANYONE??

Distinguished Member Array snowdoctor's Avatar

Sig 1911 revolution...ANYONE??

Well, many of you know, I am a Kimber fan. BUT I went a gun show this weekend, and in a case with all those kimbers was a Sig 1911 Revolution XO is Stainless 5". So in the middle of fondling varioius Kimbers, I asked to hold the lonely Sig. At first I didn't want to like it, but did it ever feel good in my hand.
    I am wondering if anyone owns or has shot one? Sig makes awesome auto's, but this is the first 1911. anyone have any news on them. been to 1911.com but I want you, my friends here, to comments. Thanks for the help. For the money, it feels like a great firearm.

photo added by QKShooter
    ----DOC-----

--people ask why I carry, and I show them this picture. I think it says it all.--

NRA Certified Instructor--many disciplines

2. Remove Ads

Lead Moderator
    They have gotten good reviews, but are fairly new. And I think there might have been a thread here about them.

For more you can check the SIG website at http://www.sigarms.com or the SIGForum at http://sigforum.com
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

Had one of the first SIG 1911's to come out and it was a lot of trouble. Bought it NIB but it was trouble, trouble, and more trouble. The "word" was that SIG had contracted out the assembly of the gun and that was not a good move. I believe that the Revolution is their second try at marketing a 1911 and, once again, the "word" is that they got it right this time but I have no experience with this gun.
    GOOD SHOOTING
    ALWAYS PROTECT YOUR VISION AND HEARING
    De gustibus non est disputandem

Assistant Administrator
    I am still awaiting more feedback over time to decide on this - sounds great and I am pretty sure it will feel good - just a case of function reliability etc - but does seem SIG would be crazy to trumpet this one and not have things well sorted out.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

I have one.

Enter, the caveats:

- I don't worship at the altar of JMB or the 1911. For me, they are strictly range toys now.
    - Sig purchased back the first run of GSRs (not the revolutions) from dealers that still had them in stock because they were not happy with the quality. It indicates there *was* a problem, and that the company was willing to take steps to alleviate it.
    - I work at a gun shop that is a Sig dealer ;0

That said, I bought a Nitron-finished Revolution without rail almost as soon as it was available. The trigger and fit and finish work exceeded everything I've handled in the sub-1500 range, and functional fit and trigger holds its own above that point.

The weapon is a bit heavier than a traditional mil-spec 1911, but lighter than say a S&W 4506. For recoil and follow up shots, it's a big plus.

Front strap checkering is *extremely* aggressive. I stress, sandpaper aggressive. You'll love it or you'll hate it - or be a wierdo like me and just accept that's how the gun was made. The lack of front serrations, rails, and other tacticool accessories made me extremely happy.

The included grips are very nice, but substantially wider than traditional 1911 grips. For me, with monster-sized hands, this is a major plus. For others, it may not be - but this is an area where there will be a quick fix if desired.

The firearm required *no* break-in period. It shot out of the box after checking for bore obstruction for 200 rounds or so the first session without a hitch with Wolf, UMC, and Remington Golden Sabers. It passed the old Israeli nipple-shaped wadcutter test, which for me is a requirement for reliability in a .45 - but sadly, my stock of them is pretty well thrashed now and I may have to beg or borrow a few more from a friend. Subsequent range sessions have pushed it up to 2k rounds fired and about a dozen individual shoters with no functional issue.

One set screw for the FPS on the slide began to work its way loose around round 500. A quick application of loctite fixed that. No further problems have been reported.

Accuracy-wise, it shoots as well as I'd ask it to. It passed my "clay pidgeon" 50m offhand test, and my 50m offhand offhand (since I'm a lefty who shoots mostly righty these days) with flying colors.

For the $$$, it's the nicest 1911 out there right now in my experience. Even not for the money, it had everything I wanted and none of the extraneous crap.
    Driver carries less than $45 worth of remorse.

Driver carries less than $45 worth of remorse.

Assistant Administrator
    Well Robert - if that doesn't sum it up real nice I don't know what will. Excellent and informative write-up and from you I read that as total plain comment with no BS - I have the impression you will certainly not be saying anything nice on a gun unless it is true as you see it.

Most useful and nice pics too - thx.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Distinguished Member Array snowdoctor's Avatar
    Robert,
    thank you very much. I appreciate your honesty, and thorough review. I am seriously considering the X0 stainless over the Kimber TLE II. That is something I never thought would happen. Thanks for the un-biased no BS review, hope I can do the same for you someday. and if not you, someone else here on the forum. Anyone else's comments are certainly welcome.
    ----DOC-----

--people ask why I carry, and I show them this picture. I think it says it all.--

NRA Certified Instructor--many disciplines

I kind of like the looks of the revolution seems they worked out the bugs of the first gsr run

I might be tempted to get one later in year

looks good but for my money i would go with a colt. i would look for an older model colt

Gee thanks....I want one o'them really bad now.

Distinguished Member Array AutoFan's Avatar
    I own one and I don't think I could have put it any better than rfutcamp.

Personally, I would like mine better with an ambi safety and adjustable sights, but only because of the shooting games I am currently using it for.

Do make sure you get one of the newer ones marked Revolution, as these are post-Quality Control problem models.

Links