Walther PPS .40 issue

This is a discussion on Walther PPS .40 issue within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hello All, I have an issue with my Walther PPS .40 and was curious if anybody else had this issue as well. After about 250 ...

Thread: Walther PPS .40 issue

Walther PPS .40 issue

Hello All,

I have an issue with my Walther PPS .40 and was curious if anybody else had this issue as well.

After about 250 rounds the slide locked to the rear and would not release. I sent it off to Smith & Wesson for repair. They replaced the slide stop and spring. I took the gun to the range today and it happened again, after only 4 shots fired.

I love Walther's. Never had an issue with my P99 .40 or PPK. Has anybody else ever had to deal with this? If so, was the gun repairable or was a total replacement made?

Christopher

2. Remove Ads

I have about 200 rounds through mine but have not had any issues. I will run another 100 or so this weekend so if I have an issue I'll post back.

I have 300+ through mine without issue, however mine is chambered for 9mm.

I seem to recall that early production PPS' has issues. Is yours an early one, or a newer model?
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Remington 870; Marlin 336 .30-30
    CT Lasers

VIP Member
    I too liked the Walters but I did have a similar issue with a P99 a few years ago. I sold it back to the dealer because I never trusted it after that incident.
    “Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.”
    ~ Stephen King

Quote Originally Posted by bealaskan View Post
    I took the gun to the range today and it happened again, after only 4 shots fired.
    Hmmm, when I've returned guns to S&W for service they told me they always test fire the repaired gun with five rounds. Maybe you should have someone else fire the gun and see if they can repeat the failure. Try different methods, one hand, two hand, rapid, slow. Nonetheless, for piece of mind and safety reasons, get another shipping label and send it back.
    May we never forget those in uniform who protect us night and day in lands far away. And those in all wars who paid the supreme sacrifice in defense of our country. May God Bless our Troops and First Responders.

The slide stop spring has been issue, particularly on earlier production versions. Send it back and Smith will replace with a spring from a different vendor. I have over 2500 rounds since I had my slide stop lock back and I have had no issues since.

Hello All,

This is a new version of the PPS. I contacted S&W and will be sending it back as soon as the shipping label arrives. And they are aware that this is the second time, the weapon has been sent for repairs.

@dwyermw - I will make sure to mention using a spring from a different vender. I am wondering if they are trying to use the same spring on the .40 that is being used on the 9mm. If so, that certainly would be a potential source of the issue.

Thanks to All.

I have approx. 400 rounds through my PPS (9 mm) with no problems.

I have managed to discover the cause of my Walther PPS .40 issue. The slide release spring, somehow came off the slide release. I have already contacted S&W and they are going to repair the gun. However, from what I can see, it looks self repairable.

Any ideas and what could have caused this to happen? Poor Quality Spring?, Poor Quality control at S&W's repair facility? etc....

Christopher

That has been an issue with the PPS, one of the reasons I haven't gotten one for the wife. They supposedly fixed it, but obviously not 100% yet. Sorry for your problems, issues like that make you wary to carry it.
    NRA Endowment Member
    USCCA Member
    Certified Glock Armorer
    Patriot Guard Rider

I have the same issue with my PPS 9mm. Just bought it yesterday and the slide stop broke after 90 rnds. I'm waiting for the shipping label. I've put 10000 rnds through my Glock 19 with no malfunctions at all. Same parts installed too.

Quote Originally Posted by Joeface View Post
    That has been an issue with the PPS, one of the reasons I haven't gotten one for the wife. They supposedly fixed it, but obviously not 100% yet. Sorry for your problems, issues like that make you wary to carry it.
    The slide lock problem affected some of the early units and was the result of bad springs from a vendor. This was corrected shortly after the problem surfaced. I contacted S&W who handle Walther repairs in the USA in December 2009 and they confirmed the problem existed but stated that they had not had a PPS returned for the slide lock problem in a long time and that the total returns were very low. I would think that that initial teething problem is behind the PPS now.

Links