ruger LCP maintnance questions

This is a discussion on ruger LCP maintnance questions within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; just bought a ruger LCP. Do I really need to clean it before I shoot it? How often should I break it down and clean ...

Thread: ruger LCP maintnance questions

ruger LCP maintnance questions

just bought a ruger LCP. Do I really need to clean it before I shoot it? How often should I break it down and clean it? Should I unload the magazine every night or is it OK to leave it loaded for extended periods of time? Will the springs stand up to extended use without unloading occasionally?? This is my first semi auto so I have a lot of questions; (I have a ton of revolvers) any advice is appreciated!!
    II Kings 2; 23-25

2. Remove Ads

I would at least be sure the barrel has been cleaned, and eye ball the rest. As far as giving the springs a break, think about all the SD carriers, their weapons are carried in the full ready 24/7. If it's for show or target shooting than it wouldn't hurt to store it like a collectors item.

I would field strip it and clean everything, if for no other reason than to get to know it and how it works. I haven't seen any magazine spring related problems since about 1965 if that helps.(you can always order new springs as needed). Learn all the different safety features and learn how to always carry it "One in the chamber/with the manual safety off. Varies with some different autos, learn how your's carries safe.

You might be interested in this link as well.... http://rugerforum.net/
    Chinese Proverb:
    "When someone shares something of value with you and you benefit from it, you have a moral obligation to share it with others."
    VCDL member (DE.357;Ruger 4" GP-100 .357;Ruger 2.2" SP-101 cc hammer .357;BT .380cc.

i would clean it and oil before the first time. i would clean it/ oil it after each shooting. as for the mag i would load it and forget it.
    An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Red State State of Mind

Distinguished Member Array razor02097's Avatar
    it has been said many times but

Springs don't loose strength via compression. They loose strength when they are cycled. So loading and unloading often will actually weaken the spring more then leaving it loaded.
    There is something about firing 4,200 thirty millimeter rounds/min that makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

Clean it. Fire it. A bunch. Not a fun gun to shoot. Take care to watch out for "walking" frame pins. They tend to walk out on their own under recoil. Easy enough to push in with finger strength. Annoying though.

Emrah

VIP Member

I always do a clean and lube on all my new pistols before I take um to the range for the first time. I'm wanting to function test the pistol and a clean and lubed gun is gonna run better than one that's not. This will eliminate some factors in the event the pistol has a few hiccups for what ever reason.

The mags are fine fully loaded. I used to unload mine while in storage in the safe, but not anymore. As far as cleaning and oil. I'd suggest not using oil as your primary lubrication, but a good gun grease. Oil can dry up, the grease will out last the oil and IMO it's just a better choice for a CC pistol. I still use some CLP in the mix too. I use it to lube the springs and guide rods, as well as a dot on the hood of the slide.

For cleaning I'd suggest a good cleaning after a range trip of 25 or more rounds. By good cleaning I mean break down, clean and lube. For less than 25 rounds or so I'd say just run a gun mop with some hoppes on it through the barrel and swab it until it's clean, unless you're about to put it up for storage, then I'd say you should do a better cleaning. Others may have better methods, but that's just what I do.

Congrats on the new Ruger. The LCP is one of my favorite little autos, so much so, that I have it with me always. Runs like a top and for it's intended use, fills the pocket auto bill perfectly.

GBK
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

Good advice from all above. All I'll add is that I would recommend always cleaning a new gun before firing it for the first time. If you experience any issues, you want to know that it is not due to the gun being dirty.

With the pinky extension, I actually DO find that the LCP is fun to shoot - and very accurate, too. If only the ammo wasn't so expensive and hard to find (though availability is getting better...).

It's a great little gun. Enjoy it!
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

Distinguished Member Array MinistrMalic's Avatar
    If it is a new firearm, clean it before you shoot it. They get shipped with all manner of gunk in them to keep them from having ugly problems at the dealer, so clean it thoroughly.
    "...whoever has no sword is to sell his coat and buy one." (Luke 22:36)
    Christianity and Self Defense from a Biblical Perspective

Quote Originally Posted by gottabkiddin View Post
    I always do a clean and lube on all my new pistols before I take um to the range for the first time. I'm wanting to function test the pistol and a clean and lubed gun is gonna run better than one that's not. This will eliminate some factors in the event the pistol has a few hiccups for what ever reason.

The mags are fine fully loaded. I used to unload mine while in storage in the safe, but not anymore. As far as cleaning and oil. I'd suggest not using oil as your primary lubrication, but a good gun grease. Oil can dry up, the grease will out last the oil and IMO it's just a better choice for a CC pistol. I still use some CLP in the mix too. I use it to lube the springs and guide rods, as well as a dot on the hood of the slide.

For cleaning I'd suggest a good cleaning after a range trip of 25 or more rounds. By good cleaning I mean break down, clean and lube. For less than 25 rounds or so I'd say just run a gun mop with some hoppes on it through the barrel and swab it until it's clean, unless you're about to put it up for storage, then I'd say you should do a better cleaning. Others may have better methods, but that's just what I do.

Congrats on the new Ruger. The LCP is one of my favorite little autos, so much so, that I have it with me always. Runs like a top and for it's intended use, fills the pocket auto bill perfectly.

GBK
    GBK is right on....
    For as the lightning comes from the east and flashes to the west, so also will the coming of the son of man be. Mathew 24:27

NRA Member

Links