Thinking of getting into a Glock...

This is a discussion on Thinking of getting into a Glock... within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; ...please talk to me about shooting reloads in them. I have heard horror stories. What is the general problem...lead loads, over-loads, unsupported case-head, etc. I ...

Thread: Thinking of getting into a Glock...

Thinking of getting into a Glock...

...please talk to me about shooting reloads in them. I have heard horror stories. What is the general problem...lead loads, over-loads, unsupported case-head, etc.

I want to know what I am getting into before I jump...

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Ah, shooting a bad reload in any gun can blow it up. Glocks just rarely fail, and when they do, it's when somebody blew it up with an over-charged reload. Reloads do violate the warranty, just as they do with just about every other gun.

Glock is good.

quote from Glock Pistols - GLOCKMEISTER - Glock Parts, Glock Accessories and Lots of FREE Glock Information.

"It is not a good idea to shoot bare lead bullets from your Glock. There are two basic reasons, the first is that the polygonal rifling in a Glock barrel really grips the bullet - this causes lead bullets to leave heavy deposits of lead when the gun is fired"

I have heard this elsewhere but This was the first in a google search.

Glocks, like every other handgun I know, have their own idiosyncratic characteristics. A Glock owner and shooter must know what they are and react accordingly. The polygonal rifling and how it reacts to lead bullets has already been discussed.

Glock's "Safe Action" system is another. On a Glock, if you pull the trigger, it will discharge as there is no manual safety system. If carrying concealed, do so in a holster that keeps the trigger covered. Do not put your finger on the trigger unless you are absolutely sure you are going to discharge the gun. (Always good advice!)

As to shooting reloads I can only say that, as a reloader, I have put literally hundreds of reloads through Glocks with no problems at all. I shoot only jacketed bullets, loaded well within glock's capabilities and have never had a problem. Don't make and shoot unsafe reloads, lead bullets, etc. in a Glock and you should be okay!

Personally, I am not a Glock fan but, having said that, they are a simple, reliable, and effective pistol.
    GOOD SHOOTING
    ALWAYS PROTECT YOUR VISION AND HEARING
    De gustibus non est disputandem

Speaking of the Glock and loads, specifically the .40..I hear it can be a problem being too light and not cycling, and also since it's a high pressure load to begin with, being too hot and having issues with the exposed head. Is there a simple solution to this? Load mid-range, I guess?

I have heard to avoid bare soft lead bullets. I personally would only use FMJ reolads from a trustworthy souce, if I had to. I prefer to stick to WWB, UMC, or whatever new ammo I can find.

joker1
    NRA Life Member

With great power comes great responsibility.-Stan Lee

Quote Originally Posted by smousefam5 View Post
    ...please talk to me about shooting reloads in them. I have heard horror stories. What is the general problem...lead loads, over-loads, unsupported case-head, etc.

I want to know what I am getting into before I jump...

like i just mentioned on another thread, glock "kabooms" are cause by improper reloading. as long as you use factory fresh fmj ammo, you'll be fine.

I think there were a few publicized "kabooms" that got a LOT of attention. These were early on and in .40 cal. They were the result of too high a pressure (reloader's fault, like in any other gun) or defective ammo. No, the barrel is NOT fully supported, but many (most?) guns aren't either.

Emrah

VIP Member
    My G21 has roughly 25K of my reloads through it and it's still going strong.

I shoot only jacketed through it for reasons previously mentioned.
    CCW permit holder for Idaho, Utah, Pennsylvania, Maine and New Hampshire. I can carry in your country but not my own.

Senior Member Array Ride4TheBrand's Avatar
    Don't shoot lead in an OEM barrel. If you want to shoot lead, get a replacement drop in barrel by Lone Wolf. Also, their chamber specs are a bit tighter than OEM barrels, but at least the entire casing is supported.
    "We must remember that one man is much
    the same as another, and that he is best
    who is trained in the severest school."
    ~Thucydides, History of the Peloponnesian War

Ya, I only shoot lead in my revolvers, so that won't be a problem. I have "heard" I may have to have a special sizing die to safely shoot reloads in a glock...any truth to that?

Ya, I only shoot lead in my revolvers, so that won't be a problem. I have "heard" I may have to have a special sizing die to safely shoot reloads in a glock...any truth to that?

i'd stay away from using reloads in glocks due to their generous chamber dimensions and unsupported chamber. however, a lot of people press their luck by doing so.

get a lone wolf barrel, then you can shoot lead and reloads till the cows come home, without worry of blowing up your gun.

No, you don't need a special sizer die. I do run my auto loads through a Lee Carbide Sizer Die though.

Links