9mm revolvers???

This is a discussion on 9mm revolvers??? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My dad is considering getting a 9mm revolver. What's your thoughts on these and do all of them have to have the "ring clip" (not ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 9mm revolvers???

Distinguished Member Array REVMAN's Avatar

9mm revolvers???

My dad is considering getting a 9mm revolver. What's your thoughts on these and do all of them have to have the "ring clip" (not sure what you call it) for the ammo?
    Always put Jesus first in your life.
    NRA (Lifetime Member)
    U.S. Navy Vet.

2. Remove Ads

The only reason I could see to buy a 9mm revolver would be that I had 20 or 30 thousand rounds of ammo and really wanted a revolver. Shooting 9mm in a revolver causes a loss of velocity and power due to the venting caused by cylinder gap. Why not just go with 38spl? Or 357mag?
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

Charter is supposedly going to make one that doesn't use moon clips. Who knows if they are really going to release them or not.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Yes, moonclips are generally needed until some maker devises a way to eliminate them. The 9mm is a rimless case and the clips hold the shell in place.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

VIP Member
    Smith and Wesson made one some years back that did not require clips as described here Vintage Pistols - Smith & Wesson 547 Range Report.

I almost picked one up a short time ago. Upon listening to the advice of the local Smith rep, I declined. He described their reputation as "twitchy".

Having said that, I am a wheelgun fan. I do agree with the others. If you want a wheelgun, get a 38/357. If you want a nine, get a semi.
    CCW permit holder for Idaho, Utah, Pennsylvania, Maine and New Hampshire. I can carry in your country but not my own.

Taurus has one too. Saw it at a gun shop. Not sure if it uses moon clips.

Emrah

Quote Originally Posted by GunnyBunny View Post
    Having said that, I am a wheelgun fan. I do agree with the others. If you want a wheelgun, get a 38/357. If you want a nine, get a semi.
    My heroes are Veterans and My Father (who was a veteran).

I believe prayer and the Pledge of Allegiance should have REMAINED in schools, and the Ten Commandments should have REMAINED in schools, courthouses, and everywhere else it was before the ACLU got involved.

I do not have a 9mm revolver for testing. I would not be surprised if a 9mm shot in a revolver had ballistics closer to a 380.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

VIP Member
    The real question is why? A 9mm revolver serves no purpose other than novelty.
    Mark Twain:
    The government is merely a servant -- merely a temporary servant; it cannot be its prerogative to determine what is right and what is wrong, and decide who is a
    patriot and who isn't. Its function is to obey orders, not originate them.

Administrator
    Moon Clips

I own a like new Smith & Wesson 940 revolver. That's the j-frame 5 shot all stainless steel model with a 1 7/8 inch barrel and it's production predates the internal lock by quite a few years. It uses moon clips but they are not actually needed for the gun to function. The rounds seat fine in the cylinder without their use but make extraction easier. With some ammo it doesn't matter anyways. You see, a lot of 9mm ammo has thinner brass than a rimmed cartridge because it doesn't matter to the function of an auto if the brass expands slightly. In the revolver cylinders some ammo cases will expand such that they can not be ejected easily with the extraction pusher (whatever the name for that is). I have been forced to use a hammer with to tap out brass. Better quality ammo, that is, ammo loaded to higher pressures such as 9mm NATO rounds do not even need to use the moon clips to eject, just open the cylinder and tilt the gun barrel side straight up and the brass just falls out in your hand. These 940's go for 700-800 on Gunbroker, plus shipping.

To the poster that commented 9mm revolvers are just a novelty, that's not really true. The Akron Ohio PD has a policy that personally owned weapons carried off duty must be certain minimum calibers and the .38/.357 is not on the list while the 9mm is. For those officers who are revolver men (or women) the j-frame 9mm is the only option available.

PS My 940 is available for sale and I'd be glad to ship from my FFL to your FFL.

another advantage to moon clips - watch Jerry Miculek - he uses revolvers with cylinders relieved to accept them as it makes for faster reloads and more positive extraction under stress... IIRC he is on the S&W factory team and has some great videos on Youtube for technique...

I thought the Taurus version was cool. Especially for a bug if your primery is a 9mm semi.
    Last edited by warmxd9; February 20th, 2010 at 06:46 PM. Reason: Spelling

GM
    I would like to have a 9mm revolver; I wanted to get an S&W 940 with the 1 7/8’’ barrel, but I could not find one. If Charter makes a 9mm snubbie that does not use moon clips I will get it right away.
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

On this board i learn something every day. Dont think i would want one though.
    You may not like guns. You may choose not to own one. That is your right.
    You might not believe in God. That is your choice.
    However, if someone breaks into your home at 3AM the first two things you are going to do are:
    1) Call someone with a gun.
    2)Pray they get there in time." - A wise man

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links