STI Guardian or Kimber Compact CDP II

This is a discussion on STI Guardian or Kimber Compact CDP II within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm in the market for a 1911 to carry. My original thought was the Kimber compact CDP. 4" barrel and smaller grip. Great size gun ...

Thread: STI Guardian or Kimber Compact CDP II

STI Guardian or Kimber Compact CDP II

I'm in the market for a 1911 to carry. My original thought was the Kimber compact CDP. 4" barrel and smaller grip. Great size gun for carry. I was at a gun show today I came across a STI Guardian and it felt great in my hand and a perfect size. Just curious, what you guys think on these two. Which would you buy and why?

2. Remove Ads

I recently order a Guardian from STI. I have a pre series II Kimber Compact, but I'm not a fan of the series II line myself. (Just a personal thing). I've shot a few STIs and just love the way they feel and shoot. The Guardian is an officers size frame and just under a 4" barrel and will be a great carry gun. Not as light as the CDP, but with the right belt and holster it will be fine. I like the feel and weight of the steel frames over the alloys.

I'm doing some research, on here and a couple other forums and I haven't found a negative about the Guardian. Just seemed like a really well built pistol. Wasn't crazy about the grips but that's an easy fix. Just dry firing it the trigger was great.

I saw a Guardian at a range near me about a month ago. Got a chance to play around with it a little (unloaded of course.) I really like everything about it except the weight. Seems a bit too heavy. Compared to my Glocks it seems real heavy actually.
    Bob Mayne
    HandgunWorld Podcast
    www.handgunworld.com
    Suarez International Instructor

Smile

STI is building a strong reputation for high quality guns at reasonable prices for their type. I would purchase the STI over the Kimber and have a couple of them on my radar right now. That is my opinion and may not be shared by all.

I will be the odd man out & say Kimber. I own the CDP II, and while I would prefer the series 1, this one is OK.

I have owned 2 STI pistols and shot another and all 3 had feeding problems. One of those was a Guardian. I sent it back- Their communication was good, turn around was average. I got the gun back... Same thing. I tried different mags and it didn't help. Ultimately I traded it away.

I like the idea of STI and I'd love to have one of their pistols- but they have not been reliable for me and that's a NO GO.

One thig I would say about the Kimber is they only want you to shoot FMJ ammo and it voids the warranty if you use hollow points or +P ammo and have a problem. It shoots well & is a very light gun.
    G-23, 27, 35 (all .40)
    G-29 10mm
    H&K 45c
    Les Baer Thunder Ranch 5"

Links