Bought my son a PPK!!!

This is a discussion on Bought my son a PPK!!! within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My son lives with me and I travel alot for work and he stays here alot by himself and he has been asking me about ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bought my son a PPK!!!

Bought my son a PPK!!!

My son lives with me and I travel alot for work and he stays here alot by himself and he has been asking me about what it takes for him to get his CCW next year... (great kid...full time college kid, works 40 hrs on the the wkends in an ER and rides the ambulances 3 times a week) He is a German fanatic almost (he speaks fluent German and Spanish and has spent a month in Germany for the last couple of summers) He had been asking me about Walthers which one he should get..i was in the local funstore this morning and they had a brand new Stainless PPK 380 in stock and his Grandpa and I went in half on it and got him an early B-day present.... He was surprised and now can't wait to shoot it.. Kinda neat... a year or so ago he was kind of Liberal leaning...it took less than a year working in an ER to make him realize that everybody isn't our friends and you really need to protect yourself...just thougth i would share...Robbie

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Siafu's Avatar
    Nice going. I hope the S&W Walther lives up to the reputation. I carry a PPS every day and it is simply a work of mechanical perfection. It always works. It is like the Timex of guns. Nice gesture to get the kid a PPK.

Thanks...he is definitely proud of it...I bought him a P38 a couple years ago...when he first learned German...he can shoot that darned thing accurate...I can't hit anything with it... he wanted a PPS...but I got a great deal on the PPK and it is Old School German in his eyes anyway.... Robbie

Distinguished Member Array GWRedDragon's Avatar
    I really like the PPK. Sure, a PPS or Kahr or KelTec would be lighter and a more powerful caliber, but the PPK has a historical quality.

I guess in that respect it's the poor man's 1911/Hipower :)
    "Trust in God with hand on sword" -Inscription on my family's coat of arms from medieval England
    ---Carry options: G26/MTAC, PF9/MiniTuck, PPK/Pocket, USP40/OWB---
    ---NOTE: I am not an expert. If I ever start acting like a know-it-all, please call me on it immediately. ---

It coulda been a Nighthawk Custom/ Wilson super trick 1911 and he wouldn't have been more prouder...Robbie

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by southarkrob View Post
    My son lives with me and I travel alot for work and he stays here alot by himself and he has been asking me about what it takes for him to get his CCW next year... (great kid...full time college kid, works 40 hrs on the the wkends in an ER and rides the ambulances 3 times a week) He is a German fanatic almost (he speaks fluent German and Spanish and has spent a month in Germany for the last couple of summers) He had been asking me about Walthers which one he should get..i was in the local funstore this morning and they had a brand new Stainless PPK 380 in stock and his Grandpa and I went in half on it and got him an early B-day present.... He was surprised and now can't wait to shoot it.. Kinda neat... a year or so ago he was kind of Liberal leaning...it took less than a year working in an ER to make him realize that everybody isn't our friends and you really need to protect yourself...just thougth i would share...Robbie
    Now you need to get him an Aston Martin too.

Okay, maybe just a DVD of the James Bond movie "Gold Finger". That was 007's handgun in the movie.

The Walther PPK is a true classic. I love the looks of it but the technology is kind of old.

I have one but the trigger pull makes it something I do not shoot often.
    If you understand, things are just as they are... If you do not understand, things are just as they are....
    - Zen Saying

Walther PPK or PPS?

If you had posted before buying the gun and asked the question of which small Walther to buy for CCW, the PPK or the PPS - here is what I would have said:

I've owned a .380 PPK for 10 years and have shot it occasionally at the range, but don't use it for CCW in spite of its small size and concealability. My reasons are that the PPK's DA trigger pull is so heavy that it is difficult to shoot the gun accurately on that first shot, and I find the .380 caliber much less effective in stopping an attack than 9mm or .40 S&W.

Typical .380 ballistics involve a 90 grain bullet with muzzle velocity of 1000 fps and muzzle energy of 200 ft-lbs. Typical 9mm ballistics involve a 124 grain bullet with muzzle velocity of 1120 fps and muzzle energy of 345 ft-lbs. So the 9mm gives you over 70% more muzzle energy than the .380, and far better penetration. Your odds of stopping an attack are just a whole lot better with 9mm than .380.

The Walther PPS is double action only, so the first trigger pull and all subsequent trigger pulls are light and the same, about 6 pounds, and you can hope to hit your target without pulling the gun off target. The Walther PPK has a 13 pound double action trigger pull, and it is almost impossible to pull a 13 pound trigger on a gun this small and not pull it off target. So your first shot with the PPK might be a miss, and then you have a transition to a much lighter single action pull for subsequent shots, which in itself requires some training and familiarity for good results.

So I would have recommended the PPS in 9mm or .40 S&W for your son's CCW application. Here is an online comparison of the two guns by Walther:

Walther PPS description

Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the Peoples' Liberty's Teeth." - George Washington

He drives a Mini Cooper already... he likes anything German...Gonna have to get him a Sig or HK next...

Distinguished Member Array ripley16's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by southarkrob View Post
    He drives a Mini Cooper already... he likes anything German...Gonna have to get him a Sig or HK next...
    Get him one of these next. It just seems to go with a stainless PPK...like family almost.

Kudos on you and Grandpa. He should be so lucky!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Siafu View Post
    I hope the S&W Walther lives up to the reputation...
    They do as far as I'm concerned (I own two). I love the PPK design almost as much as the 1911. Excellent choice.

Distinguished Member Array Spec's Avatar
    I like the PPS simply because of the caliber options, and feel of the gun.

I shot a PPK awhile back and it kicked like a mule... (not like the one handed one shot stops in the 007' movies)
    NRA Certified Rifle/Pistol Instructor
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G18CFw0lnD8

Accuracy ALWAYS WINS! So carry what you can hit with.

If you find yourself in a fair fight your tactics stink.

Quote Originally Posted by Spec View Post
    I shot a PPK awhile back and it kicked like a mule... (not like the one handed one shot stops in the 007' movies)
    I don't find the PPK to have much recoil at all. It shoots .380 in a hefty all steel package.

I sold my PPK/S and bought a PPS/9mm, mostly because it is a little more left handed friendly. I have put about 400 rounds through it without a single issue. I do feel a little bit uneasy carrying it "charged" without a manual safety.

The Sig 232 is my next gun I plan on purchasing...I really like those..

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links