Attn; Detonics Gurus

This is a discussion on Attn; Detonics Gurus within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm looking for a feedback on a beautiful Detonics MK VI 45acp that I have had stashed in my safe for almost 20 yrs. To ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Attn; Detonics Gurus

Attn; Detonics Gurus

I'm looking for a feedback on a beautiful Detonics MK VI 45acp that I have had stashed in my safe for almost 20 yrs. To my knowledge there has been less than 50 rounds thru this weapon, (only 12 rounds from myself), and it shows! She's still nice and tight. With the slide locked back, it takes quite a bit of force on the slide release to send it home.

It is stamped "Professional Model" on the right side of the slide and it's an original made in Seattle weapon. SN is CR116XX and all parts match the serial number on the frame, (it's engraved on inside of slide and side of barrel). She has the original wood grips and 2 mags, both are stamped Detonics 45acp.

Is this weapon considered a Combat Master? Any input on what it may be worth? Ballpark? Considering taking it to a local auction house. Unfortunately the PO didn't keep the box or papers. Knucklehead!!

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the MK VI's were all SS chambered in 45acp. MK V's were SS as well, but 9mm. The MK VII's were orginally designed for the CIA and had no sights, (front or rear). I know the company moved and/or changed hands twice moving from Seattle to Phoniex to Illinios, with some work stoppage in between.

I'm not to familiar with the earlier MK#'s, so if someone could give me a bit more history/detail on these I would love to know. Goggle did not turn up too much I didn't already know.

Thanks in advance!!
    You never see a motorcycle parked ouside a psychiatrist's office!

2. Remove Ads

Post a picture - it would help a lot.

Hi I always have liked the little detonics guns. I'm a young guy so I may be wrong about this but.,I believe the gun you have is a combat master that was made before they started marking them as such. Sought of a precursor model Is the gun blued or stainless steel?

I've always wanted one of these guns,I think they are so cool. I also think the rear sight being mounted more forward is neat as well. All of our 3" and 3 1/2" 1911's today owe their lineage to the combat master,it was the first subcompact 1911.

One more thing was your gun made in Seattle,Georgia or Arizona? As another said please post a pic of your detonics.
    Snub nose revolvers,the original concealed carry guns.

OD*
    I would suggest you contact "melensdad" on the INGunOwners - Forum , Bob is quite the collector/historian of the Detonics pistols
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Diligentia Vis Celeritas"

"There is very little new, and the forgotten is constantly being rediscovered."
    ~ Tiger McKee

Administrator
    The Detonics Professional Model would be a version of the Combat Master.
    Great vintage carry gun.

los
    I was a proud owner of a pristine [non-professional model] MK-VI DCM a few years ago. It was one of the most accurate CCW I'd ever owned. I had custom African Ebony stocks made for it....

They maintain their value fairly well.

What we've got here is failure to communicate.

Distinguished Member Array AKsrule's Avatar
    Judging by the Auction sites , Dectonics guns in
    great condition seem to start at $600

-------
    -SIG , it's What's for Dinner-

know your rights!
    http://www.handgunlaw.us

"If I walk in the woods, I feel much more comfortable carrying a gun. What if you meet a bear in the woods that's going to attack you? You shoot it."
    {Bernhard Goetz}

GM
    Quote Originally Posted by los View Post
    I was a proud owner of a pristine [non-professional model] MK-VI DCM a few years ago. It was one of the most accurate CCW I'd ever owned. I had custom African Ebony stocks made for it....

They maintain their value fairly well.

That was a sexy pistol! Do not tell that you sold it?!?
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

OMG! Don't shoot that thing... They are DANGEROUS. I't good it's been in the safe for so long, wheww! I will get that safely away from the premises for a couple hundred dollars. I know its alot of money, but you are a defensive/carry brother, so I'm here to help. I understand those combat ones are the worst even., maybe $175

Quote Originally Posted by boatail View Post
    OMG! Don't shoot that thing... They are DANGEROUS. I't good it's been in the safe for so long, wheww! I will get that safely away from the premises for a couple hundred dollars. I know its alot of money, but you are a defensive/carry brother, so I'm here to help. I understand those combat ones are the worst even., maybe $175
    Hey this guy is trying to low ball you, I'll give you $180 for YOUR safety.
    For as the lightning comes from the east and flashes to the west, so also will the coming of the son of man be. Mathew 24:27

NRA Member

HA!! You guys need to put down the crack pipe! Or you think I've been smoking one. Either way you semi-generous offers are a bit low to say the least, I'm sure.

As I said earlier, to my knowledge all MK VI's are SS, to which mine is. I also stated in my opening post that this is a Seattle built gun. I would give her a good A- or B+, only because of some fine scratches on the slide. Nothing major, but I'm kinda anal on that stuff.

Here's a couple of quick pics;

GM
    Quote Originally Posted by Fastball View Post
    HA!! You guys need to put down the crack pipe! Or you think I've been smoking one. Either way you semi-generous offers are a bit low to say the least, I'm sure.

As I said earlier, to my knowledge all MK VI's are SS, to which mine is. I also stated in my opening post that this is a Seattle built gun. I would give her a good A- or B+, only because of some fine scratches on the slide. Nothing major, but I'm kinda anal on that stuff.

Here's a couple of quick pics;

You are a lucky guy!!! That was a very nice pistol.
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

OD*
    Quote Originally Posted by Fastball View Post
    As I said earlier, to my knowledge all MK VI's are SS, to which mine is.
    They were, with the polished slide and a Caspian stainless frame. Is yours the later model with the three recoil springs?
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Diligentia Vis Celeritas"

"There is very little new, and the forgotten is constantly being rediscovered."
    ~ Tiger McKee

3 springs?? I'll have to take look closer, but I know I saw at least 2 the last time I field stripped it.

It is a sweet piece, but it's doing me no good sitting in the back of the safe and since I'm currently laid off, I could use some extra income.

That is a really nice piece!if I had the extra bucks I would make you a very reasonable offer.I have always been a fan of Detonics pistols.I think I hear the theme song from Miami Vice!!!
    Always be alert and aware!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links