G23c vs G23

G23c vs G23

This is a discussion on G23c vs G23 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Looking to pick up a G23 and the only con I can think of would be the snappy recoil. So, I wanted to hear form ...

View Poll Results: Does the 23c (compensated) reduce recoil???

Voters
24. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes. I have shot both and yes it does.

12 50.00%
  • Probably. I have not shot both but I think that it does reduce recoil

4 16.67%
  • No. I have shot both and did not notice a difference.

1 4.17%
  • Probably Not. I have not shot both but I don't think it would make a difference

7 29.17%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: G23c vs G23

G23c vs G23

Looking to pick up a G23 and the only con I can think of would be the snappy recoil. So, I wanted to hear form those have shot both, the G23 and the G23c, to see if there is a reduction in recoil with the compensated model. Also, are there any disadvantages that come with the G23c? Thanks

If you are using the G23 for concealed carry, it would be very difficult to get any sort of sight picture after your first shot. And I really doubt a compensator is going to make a huge difference in a handgun. Just my 2 cents.

kpw
    It does...a little. Not enough of a practical difference to make me buy one though. It's a little louder indoors but outdoors, you won't notice it. Some loads will give an impressive flash in the dark but no worse than a .357 snub. The 23 can be a bit snappy depending on the load but hardly unmanageable. Others like the C models but I have no use for them. JMO
    "In a republic this rule ought to be observed: that the majority should not have the predominant power." -
    -- Marcus Tullius Cicero

I would not have a compensated pistol for SD. Try point shooting from the hip...you'll get the idea about the negative aspects of "c" rather quickly.
    I've shot other compensated pistols, but not the G-23, and I just don't think that the negatives outweigh the need for a compensated barrel.IMHOYMV
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I've shot the G23c, a very nice pistol. However, like retsupt said, if you gotta point shoot with that thing close to your clothing, or face; could get a little warm. Another drawback, maybe subjective, is the flash at night. It could disrupt your night vision, again that's a subjective view.
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

C = Too much flash for defensive use. Also, not legal for IDPA. The slight recoil benefit is not worth the flash in my opinion.
    "Being PARANOID is just plain smart thinking when they are really out to get you!"

Last edited by Danimal; February 22nd, 2010 at 12:01 PM. Reason: Deleted due to irrelevancy

VIP Member
    The "c" does make a difference. I'm quicker with a friends G23c than I ever was with my own 23 (but only a digital timer can tell). However, as others have said, the trade off is too high for a defensive weapon. The flash can damage night vision, hot gases escaping through the ports can be very problematic in non-ideal shooting positions, and it is just one more possible thing to cause problems.

You'll be fine with the regular 23, just spend enough time with it to get used to the recoil and soon you'll wonder why you even considered it. Unless you're using a shot timer, the difference is pretty small.
    "The only people I like besides my wife and children are Marines."
    - Lt. Col. Oliver North

I'm with Echo Four; it absolutely DOES make for faster shot recovery. That's verifiable on my shot timer as well.

In terms of the flash blinding you--the jury is out. The normal barrel produces a 6"-8" fireball at the end of the muzzle too. Both that and the "C" version flash, but it ain't exactly a supernova. Kinda of a dull orange, and at least as blinding to the guy you just put a hole in as it is to you. Not a factor, IMHO.

What IS a factor is if you have to shoot from retention, as Retsup mentioned. That's with the gun tucked up under your pectoral muscle and pulled back so the bad guy can't take it away from you (a vital skill to learn and practice). Ports on the barrel will direct the gas right at your face when you kip the gun out to avoid having it hit you when it cycles. I've seen those blow out contacts in "major" loadings.

So--Yep, you can shoot faster and more accurately. Don't think the flash is a huge problem, but the gas venting certainly is when you shoot from retention.

My recommendation would be to perfect your grip and shoot the conventional barrel for self defense.

Dan
    "What does Marcellus Wallace LOOK like?"

if it were me id go Glock 23 c I had a Glock 23 and wished it was the c version...when I got a LW conversion barrel to shoot 9mm out of it I made sure that one was ported and I loved it worked great. And after shooting a regular 23c I can tell you there is NOT too much flash for defensive use. Some of the guys on the PD I was on had the C versions and they like them just fine and they were fine in qualifications and their night fire retention drill fire(from the hip) for me its the C :)

The C is loud and bright.....not worth the fraction of a second. In SD its more important to see your follow up shot than have it be a infinite fraction of a second. Now if you were talking IDPA or something Id say go for it. But SD I would say no go.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    I would not have a compensated pistol for SD. Try point shooting from the hip...you'll get the idea about the negative aspects of "c" rather quickly.
    I've shot other compensated pistols, but not the G-23, and I just don't think that the negatives outweigh the need for a compensated barrel.IMHOYMV

+1. i would also avoid compensated guns for self defense.

If you are going to use it for self defense I would not get the compensated. It will have more of a flash and reduce your vision in a low light scenario. You will also not be able to shoot from retention if need be unless you want powder burns.

Seems like a no-brainer to me to get the Compensated model and then if one chooses to, they can always buy an aftermarket non-ported barrel which would essentially be the same as a non-compensated model - right?

The only reason I would ever think about getting a Glock 'C' model would be for competition. I wouldn't have one for carry.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links