Defensive Carry banner

New 2010 CBOB Range Report + Pics

2K views 16 replies 12 participants last post by  rustynail 
#1 ·
Well I had been thinking of making the plunge, but I really did not think it would be TODAY! I rented a used Kimber Compact stainless and shot the last 50 FMJ's the shop/range had yesterday with a buddy. Well it was my first 4" .45. It shot like a dream. I looked at the DW on the shelf as I left...
Today I left the house with errands to run with the CBOB on my mind. I just could not decide what would make me decide whether or not it would even be the DW let alone how to decide when to buy.
Then when I stopped for gas as I walked around the back of my car I found a $5 bill on the floor.
My lucky day I thought.
Well, if it's my lucky day I wondered just how lucky I was. I knew that if I did decide to buy it that they would have no FMJ for me to shoot there. So I decided to take a ride to a gunshop a little further away.
If I was lucky they would be open on Sunday.
If I was really lucky they would have some.45 ACP FMJ for me.
They did, (my lucky day so far) I bought a hundred rounds and a cheap leather IWB holster (less than $70 total) At this time I do not even own a .45, or even know if the DW is still there to be bought...

So the next thing was to drive back to my town to the shop with the CBOB on the shelf and stare down the CBOB and see who blinked.

:blink::blink::blink:

Hehehe, it was my lucky day.
How spur of the moment was this? I have been waiting to clean it ALL DAY since shooting it, and just as I started to post this... as the pics were uploading I realized I DO NOT have a kit to clean .45 caliber pistols!!! HA!

It is still dirty in these pics, not the best but good enough for now.

This is the first 50 rounds of Remington 230gr FMJ @ approx 18ft (probably rounds 50-100 of .45 in my life and rounds 1250-1300 total for pistols in my life)
I now know what "Tack Driver" really means.

This is the next 50 rounds of FMJ + 14 rounds of Black Hills 230gr JHP @ 18ft
... Gettin better all the time....

And here is the new joy C124CZ

I did NOT take it apart before shooting (at this writing I still have never disassembled a real 1911) I just oiled it a little and shot 50 rounds, then oiled and shot 50 more with no issues.
When I switched to the JHP's I had some FTF's (only on the first round from the mag) so I looked in side and just sort of cleaned the dirty gray ramp with my pinky finger.
At that point the mag only had 7 in it, but this time it fed in and shot fine. I took 1 round from the next magazine and it fed fine.

Wow it is fun to see the center of the paper target fly away.

SledZep01

See less See more
#4 ·
I have some cheapo $16 leather clip on in the car (forgot to bring it in) for right away.
I do not know what to use. I want IWB. I have a belt/holster/mag pouch all picked out for my P238 but I bought a nylon? IWB clip on for it (Just to have something) and it already dissappears on my hip so I never bought it.

This iron will need a real belt and holster

Sled

#5 ·
All the Dan Wesson 1911's are outstanding handguns. Maybe the best quality semi-custom 1911s out there.

#7 ·
nice looking piece there :hand10:

spend some time to get to know her better. Check out one of the hundreds of videos on youtube how to take down a 1911. I think even Limalife has one.

#9 ·
the bore is the first step

make sure its unloaded

Refer to above pic
push the checkered button enough to rotate the barrel bushing counterclockwise from 6:00 to about 4:00. Then release the tension and take the button off the spring. Rotate the barrel bushing clockwise from 4:00 to 9:00 then remove the bushing.

Refer to above pic
pull the slide back till the slide stop notch (the one on the left) reaches the shaft of the take down lever (in the middle of the frame). Push on the dimple in the back to push the take down lever toward you then remove the lever.

Remove the slide

Remove the recoil spring

The barrel comes out the front of the slide

You have field stripped the gun :hand10:

#11 ·
It was more like
Rotate the barrel bushing clockwise from 4:00 to 9:00 then remove the bushing.
Oil
Oil
OIl etc etc

That was/is one tight bushing!

Sled

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.