Looking for feedback on 1911's

This is a discussion on Looking for feedback on 1911's within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm a retired Delaware State Trooper and have a Delaware CCDW License, I presently carry a .38 S&W Airweight. I will be qualifying for the ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Looking for feedback on 1911's

Looking for feedback on 1911's

I'm a retired Delaware State Trooper and have a Delaware CCDW License, I presently carry a .38 S&W Airweight.

I will be qualifying for the HR218 National Permit and am looking to purchase a new 1911. I have narrowed it down to a new Sig Saur RCS Nitro, but a gun shop close to home has a very lightly used Kimber Royal II for around $800.00. I would appreciate any feedback on either weapon.

2. Remove Ads

I've got a SIG GSR 1911 that I bought new over the summer. I have to say, based on my experiences I can't recommend it. It's been back to the factory twice now with extractor problems. The first time it was too sharp and caused numerous FTF problems, about 1 in 8 rounds on a good day. When it came back, the extractor was too dull seemingly and I had the opposite problem. It went back again, and it still has problems now, like the first time it came back but not so bad.

However, in the interest of being balanced, if you get a reliable one, it is a very accurate and comfortable pistol. The night sights it came with are excellent and make shooting it a real pleasure. I also think it is my "prettiest" pistol as well, just a beautiful gun. If it was not for the reliability issues, it would be close to my favorite gun. As it stands now, my Springfield GI, which cost barely over half as much as the SIG, is infinitely more reliable and close to the same accuracy out to 25 yards. I can't speak for the Kimber, or even every other SIG 1911 out there, but I know mine has been a real headache.

Depends on the amount of money you want to put in it. I think if I was shopping in the Sig category, I would look at other manufacturers like Ed Brown, or NightHawk.
    Healthy children will not fear life, if their parents have integrity enough not to fear death.
    -TIME DEUM ET OPERARE IUSTITIAM--

Thanks to both of you for the fast response.

The NightHawk and Ed Brown are a little expensive for me. I'm looking for a nice .45 that I can actually carry and conceal comfortably, if that's even possible? Are there any other suggestions for 1911's? I don't want a bulky weapon, it won't do me any good at home in a drawer.

I'd suggest taking a look at the Springfields. Like I said, my GI model has been nothing but awesome since I got it. You could do a mild upgrade to the Mil-Spec model, which adds lowered ejection port, better sights, and throated barrel to the basic GI design. Doesn't cost too much either, since it sounds like you don't want to drop an entire month's worth of paychecks on the thing. Hope you find something you like.

Is the Springfield Mil-Spec small enough to carry concealed comfortably (compact)?

Looks like it only comes in 5" barrel. Honestly though, with the .45 auto you are better off staying at 4" and above, otherwise you risk unreliable expansion because the bullet moves so slow already. The GI model comes all the way down in 3" micro compact models though. It's up to you what is compact enough to carry though...

Colt Combat Commander XSE,they also make a lightweight model,conceals well shot 100% out of the box cost was in the High 900.00 plus night sights added,I also have a RIA 1911 compact model 3.5" bbl,they cost about $400.00 conceal well and even tho they are a bottom end 1911 mine has been perfect,I put ambi safety on it and a heavier Firing Pin spring I would say that in 2 years I've put at least 5000 + rounds thru it and it eats everything,I have a Springfield Armory 1911A1 full size that has been perfect and has several thousand rounds thru it.
    You can conceal a Mil Spec 1911 comfortably with a good holster,the barrel length is only 3/4" longer than the commander

Some of the members on here have the Sig 220 SAO(Single Action Only)carried with the hammer cocked safety engaged and they like them a lot
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hiram25 View Post
    I'm a retired Delaware State Trooper and have a Delaware CCDW License, I presently carry a .38 S&W Air weight.

I will be qualifying for the HR218 National Permit and am looking to purchase a new 1911. I have narrowed it down to a new Sig Saur RCS Nitro, but a gun shop close to home has a very lightly used Kimber Royal II for around $800.00. I would appreciate any feedback on either weapon.
    The used Kimber at $800. is too much to pay. They retail new about $825.00.

This is an OKAY 1911 but would not be my choice.

I like a 5" the match grade Kimber Custom TLE/RL II. It meets my needs for around $1,000-1,200.00 and is a fantastic 1911 in the true John Browning tradition.

I sell Sigs. a .45 is not always a true 1911 design. I have to go with the Kimber for true 1911 design. I don't think 99% of shooters need to spend $2,000 or more for a Wilson or any other 1911.
    If you understand, things are just as they are... If you do not understand, things are just as they are....
    - Zen Saying

sgb
    Quote Originally Posted by Hiram25 View Post
    Are there any other suggestions for 1911's? I don't want a bulky weapon, it won't do me any good at home in a drawer.
    CZ-USA -> DAN WESSON CCO Bobtail

Dan Wesson CCO.

Officers size frame with Commander size Side.

"There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

Hi All,

I appreciate your information.

Distinguished Member Array razor02097's Avatar
    I have a para GI expert and I like it. Price is nice too
    There is something about firing 4,200 thirty millimeter rounds/min that makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

I'm only 5'9" and between 175-180 lbs, and carry a full size 5" barreled Kimber Custom TLE II in an OWB Galco holster with no problems. I don't consider it too heavy or bulky and have no problem concealing with the "proper" clothing.
    Live to ride, ride to live. Harley Road King And keep a .45 handy Kimber Custom TLE II

Here's some advice; no matter what 1911 you decide to buy, take it to a good gunsmith (someone that makes his living off of them) and have him go through the gun to check it out. This can save you a lot of heartaches. Especially if somebody was dumping the gun because they didn't like it or became frustrated due to reliability problems. Spending that extra hundred bucks or so to get the gun checked out and fixed if need be will be the best money you ever sped on a 1911 I promise you. I have shot, carried and competed with these guns since 1985, and that part of owning a 1911 has not changed.

Personally, if you can afford to having one built from scratch or buying a GI issue and having that built up is still the best way to travel IMHO.....
    "Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined". - Patrick Henry

I was (& am) lucky to be associated with a # of fellow instructors that carry & use 1911s. both as CC & comp. (Colts,Kimbers,Para Ord.,Springfield etc. )

I ended up opting for this from Springfield.(several years ago )
    Springfield Armory

This gun, right out of the box was smooth & reliable (After firing 500 rnds. I did have my gun smith due some " very minor tuning")

After a "few # of rnds", (note I Do Not shoot comp.) I have never had a prob. ( EXCEPT ones that were "OPERATOR CAUSED"

Puffer

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links