Who carries with a HK45c?

This is a discussion on Who carries with a HK45c? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; New to the forum. I have been lurking around a while though. I currently carry a SA Loaded Champion for my CCW. It is nice ...

Thread: Who carries with a HK45c?

Who carries with a HK45c?

New to the forum. I have been lurking around a while though. I currently carry a SA Loaded Champion for my CCW. It is nice to carry, but the gun has always been a bit finicky. I have my doubts that I would bet my life it would work flawlessly at the moment of truth. About 2 months ago I picked up an HK45 that I absolutely love. It is incredibly accurate, to hell and back reliable and has excellent quality, craftsmanshift and fit/finish. I love it so much I am considering getting rid of my 1911 to pick up an HK45c for CCW. For those that carry them, how are your experiences? I ordered a Crossbreed Supertuck with horsehide and combat cut for my full size HK45, but it is a bit too big for my liking. This holster accepts both models, btw. Thanks in advance.

2. Remove Ads

I have and carry an H&K 45C (see avatar). I don't carry it 100% of the time, but it is my main carry gun. I love it. It is the size of of a 1911 Commander but with a thicker slide. Mine only has between 500-600 rounds through it, but it has been flawless from round one. I put 200 rounds through it to "break it in" and test for reliability before carrying it. Not necessary for the gun; as mentioned, it has been flawless -- peace of mind, I guess.

I used to carry either a S&W 1911Sc Commander or a Colt New Agent 1911, but I got away from 1911 carry because I obviously didn't practice enough with the platform to achieve muscle memory for always swiping the thumb safety. I like the H&K because it can be carried either decocked with the safety off, decocked with the safety on, or cocked and locked like a 1911. I carry it decocked with the safety off. The DA trigger pull is heavy, and I may look into lightening that. The glow-in-the-dark sights leave much to be desired in low light situations, but there is a tritium replacement available for those now. I am also going to replace the pinky-extension magazine base plates with flat ones.

I carry it in an R. Grizzle Southern Sidekick Holster in the appendix position. Holsters by RGrizzle. I use the "P" clip for a 1-1/4" belt, and it really disappears on the Beltman. I really like Ryan's holsters as they are of very high quality at an affordable price. My wait time for two Southern Sidekick Holsters and a Tuckable IWB Mag Pouch was only one month from the time of order to the door.

I perosnally think they are a well built gun. I dont carry one but I have handled them. I wouldnt hesitate to buy one.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

I have a HK45 and broke it by shooting an IDPA and USPSA match with absolutely no failures even shooting my handloaded JHPs. I would not mind a better trigger. I passed on the HK45C because I liked the grip better on the HK45 but that is a personal issue. I also have a P2000 and P2000sk and would trust either one all day long.

Thanks for the replies. I have to decide if I want to keep my Loaded Champion and send it off to SA to have them look at it and maybe get some work done to it while its there, or sell it and pick up an HK45c. If I get the HK45c, I will have straight eight sights put on it like its bigger brother. Decisions....decisions...

Gaz
    I switch between a Kimber Pro Crimson Carry and a H&K 45C. I love both guns and have had no problems with either. I slightly favor the Kimber, because of the laser, if Crimson Trace would come out with a laser for the H&K 45C, it would likely become my primary carry piece.

go hk45

I carry an HK45C, it's the only one I have right now. It's pretty accurate and once I can build up a stronger grip I should be able to do double taps easily. Have tried point shooting with it, it's pretty decent. I carry cocked and locked with the safety off. I plan to get the tritium replacement sights soon. You might want to shoot an officer's M1911 first if you want help in deciding - I got MUCH better groups with the HK45C with a fat grip than an officer's M1911, although the lack of a hogue grip on the M1911 took it out of the running for me...

I would recommend getting a raven concealment holster for the HK45C if you're a small guy like me (5'9" 150 lbs) because the supertuck is nice but it looks a little off if you're thin and your pants are bulging a little bit. As a new carrier (about to turn 22 in March) I went with IWB initially thinking that people could possibly catch the barrel peeking out of my shirt (I wear my own size medium instead of large) but with OWB I realized that no one seems to pay attention unless your gun is bright friking pink - I'm still conscious about body and clothes placement though.
    Medical College of Virginia School of Medicine Class of 2013

Senior Moderator
    I carry the full size HK45, and am very happy with it. It's also the gun I shoot IDPA with.

Matt
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

Links