Declaring the Ruger SR9c fit for CC!

This is a discussion on Declaring the Ruger SR9c fit for CC! within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; After a good cleaning and taking out the firing pin/striker after the last range trip and cleaning the gunk out of that I took the ...

Thread: Declaring the Ruger SR9c fit for CC!

Declaring the Ruger SR9c fit for CC!

After a good cleaning and taking out the firing pin/striker after the last range trip and cleaning the gunk out of that I took the Ruger SR9c back to the range day for a getting it ready for CC range test. Previously id put a box of 115 grain Blazer aluminum through it with absolutley no failures. Then I had some troubles with some WWB 115 grain stuff...Took gun home cleaned it up good. Took it back out today for a test so far 100 rounds through it B4 this and decent.

Well im convinced it was just the WWB that screwed up the gun or the gun does not like.. Shot another full box of WWb 115 grain today 49 perfect/1 did the same thing as last time, the primer was hit(dent in primer) and when I tried to refire it it did shoot.. the other 49 went off perfect 49/1.

second box up for trial was another box of Blazer Aluminum 115 grain fired enter box no failures of any kind..checked primers all the ones i picked up exhibited solid hits. 50/50

third box up was a box or 115 grain Remington UMC this box also ran 100% 50/50.

4th box up was American Eagle 147 grain flat points(all the others to this point were round noses FMJ). This grain and ammo seemed to be a softer shooter than the others. This box also fed and worked 100% 50/50

last was a box of my proposed carry ammo full box of Speer Gold Dot 124 grain HP's all fed 1005 no malfunctions...you know your shooting something relatively hot with this SD round compared to the practice ammo. it was easily picked out as the sharpest recoil but very manageable still.

accuracy was great out to 12 yards where it starts to open up some(from 1 ragged hole) and at 15 all still center mass but not all in same hole like closer 3-12 yards. Thats about 270 rounds including a box of my carrry ammo..she worked great today. im declaring it fit for carry after a good cleaning...now I just gotta go buy more Gold Dot....frakin $19 a box :)

2. Remove Ads

Mine eats everything i feed it. It is a great carry gun because it is so thin and snag free sights. extremly accurate... i wish my pf-9 was as accurate but thats probly shooter error.
    You may not like guns. You may choose not to own one. That is your right.
    You might not believe in God. That is your choice.
    However, if someone breaks into your home at 3AM the first two things you are going to do are:
    1) Call someone with a gun.
    2)Pray they get there in time." - A wise man

agreed!

VIP Member
    Congrats. Nothing like a good test run.

Enjoy!

Does anyone think that the SR9C could be pocket carried?

Quote Originally Posted by rammerjammer View Post
    Does anyone think that the SR9C could be pocket carried?
    I'm sure some would but I personally wouldn't pocket carry anything larger then a LCP/P3AT. However I also try to avoid pocket carry because of the amount of crap I have in my pockets haha. Pocket knife, flash light, OC spray and multi tool. Everything clips to my pockets.
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

Distinguished Member Array Spec's Avatar
    good good....
    NRA Certified Rifle/Pistol Instructor
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G18CFw0lnD8

Accuracy ALWAYS WINS! So carry what you can hit with.

If you find yourself in a fair fight your tactics stink.

Distinguished Member Array nutz4utwo's Avatar
    Personally, I am not convinced you have solved all your light primer strike issues. I would not be comfortable carrying that firearm until I was confident it will operate under less than ideal conditions.
    "a reminder that no law can replace personal responsibility" - Bill Clinton 2010.

Quote Originally Posted by nutz4utwo View Post
    Personally, I am not convinced you have solved all your light primer strike issues. I would not be comfortable carrying that firearm until I was confident it will operate under less than ideal conditions.
    I am. thats what counts..if it fires 100% with EVERYHTING else and only had 1 bad today and only on the exact brand it had the problem with before and could NOT be replicated with over 150 OTHER shots on various brands im convinced. plus I picked up over 50% of the other brands to check their primers and they were just fine and so were all the WWB except the one that didnt go off...so I have no worries..it would have been different had I gotten even 1 other brand do the same thing but over 200 rounds through it of other brands and nothing wrong runs 100%..I have no doubts anymore.

heck if id not had bought the WWB and just used my Blazer and the Remington UMC and American Eagle only it would have peen perfect..like I said im more apt to think bad ammo than bad gun if its something that cant be replicated with ANY other rounds...now since I practice quite a bit IF I had problems or started having problems with any other rounds id tell Ruger about it but at this time im convinced its fine.

Distinguished Member Array nutz4utwo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by C Bennett View Post
    at this time im convinced its fine.
    I am glad you are confident and practice often. True-it is your behind and your decision.

Keep up the good work. Keep us posted if you have any more issues. I can always learn from experiences.
    "a reminder that no law can replace personal responsibility" - Bill Clinton 2010.

Thanks for a good report. WWB presents a lot of problems in small light semi-auto 9mm. I think you're good to go with your defensive rounds. Sounds like a great CCW. I would not hesitate to pocket carry with a good holster that covers the trigger. Hope all goes well, keep us updated. Stay safe.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Links