Kel-Tec ?

This is a discussion on Kel-Tec ? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hi All Found a Kel_Tec 9mm local for 289.00 new in box ,But dont know much about these guns can anyone give me the low ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Kel-Tec ?

Kel-Tec ?

Hi All
    Found a Kel_Tec 9mm local for 289.00 new in box ,But dont know much about these guns can anyone give me the low down was considering it. didnt know if it was reliable a good price ? or should I run away.
    Thanks all
    "If you want peace, prepare for war." Si vis pacem, para bellum.

Old Paratroopers never die , we just regroup!!
    82nd ABN DIV.. GOD Bless our Troops!!
    Foward Observer 3/505thPIR - A/319thAFAR
    87-91 "Just Cause - Desert Sheild/Storm"

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    As with most firearms, there's a wide range of opinions. In general, Kel-tec seems to be a hit or miss proposition. They either love it or hate it. It either works like a champ or wouldn't be good for hammering nails. For that price, it may be worth a try, if you're willing to give it a chance to break in and tinker with it some.
    Run some searches on Kel-tec reviews, especially for that model. That should give you something to think about.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

is it the pf9 or p11?

I had a pf9 9mm for years and absolutely loved it. Great gun, always went bang and ate anything I fed it. I never did any of the "tune" ups people suggested and I never had a problem with it. I put a slip on rubber grip on it and carried it everyday. It's got some bite when you shoot it but it's the smallest and lightest 9mm made, it's a great gun. Kelt-tec has some of the best customer service in the industry as well. If it were me, I would buy it, that's a good price.

You can literally conceal it with nothing more than a skintight tank top (not that I wear such things )
    Vermont does not issue Permit/Licenses to Carry a Concealed firearm. Vermont allows anyone
    who can legally own a firearm to carry it concealed without a permit of any kind.

Love my pf-9 . and keltec has great customer service. I have heard the P11 are good too. check out ktog.org in the f.a.q alot of the answers are hillarious.
    You may not like guns. You may choose not to own one. That is your right.
    You might not believe in God. That is your choice.
    However, if someone breaks into your home at 3AM the first two things you are going to do are:
    1) Call someone with a gun.
    2)Pray they get there in time." - A wise man

Thanks All Will do

Distinguished Member Array pirate's Avatar
    Many people here own Kel Tec products and like them. Others have had issues with them and consider then cheap and rough. Generally, I find their products are innovative and well designed CCW pistols but lacking in the fit, finish and polish of higher end (priced) guns. Thats why they sell at the price point they do. I think you still have to find them to be a decent inexpensive option but the question to ask yourself is would I be better served spending an additional $100 or so for a pistol with better fit, finish and and some would say better overall quality.
    When I leave the home port:
    S&W 642 Airweight, Ruger SP 101, Colt Detective Spec., CZ RAMI, Kahr PM9, Kahr CW40, S&W Model 10-7, Glock 30, 19, and 26, Browning Hi Power, CZ82, Colt Commander, Dan Wesson PM7, Ruger LCP

Is that a PF9? If you run away for $289.00 let me know and Ill run in and buy it. They are in short supply right now. If you can find one they are $350.00 in my town.
    Glock 22, 27 Gen 4
    Ruger SP101 .357mag
    S&W 637 Airweight
    Ruger Single Six
    Ruger Blackhawk Bisley 45 Colt
    Mossberg 835 Grand Slam

Quote Originally Posted by pirate View Post
    the question to ask yourself is would I be better served spending an additional $100 or so for a pistol with better fit, finish and and some would say better overall quality.
    Just curious, not disagreeing but what would you buy NEW for $389 that had a better fit, finish, and better overall quality than a pf9?
    Vermont does not issue Permit/Licenses to Carry a Concealed firearm. Vermont allows anyone
    who can legally own a firearm to carry it concealed without a permit of any kind.

Distinguished Member Array pirate's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Adkjoe View Post
    Just curious, not disagreeing but what would you buy NEW for $389 that had a better fit, finish, and better overall quality than a pf9?
    It may not be direct apples to apples as to what the OP is looking for but off the top of my head if you include CCW revolvers several handguns in the $100-120 more range than the Kel Tec PF9.....Kahr CW series can be found for $389-399 range, Ruger SR9 $398, Ruger LCR $389....and several Taraus models under $385. (I checked these prices at Bud's guns online site).

As you know many here will have opinions about this but all I can do is give my personal views since I have owned at one time an example all these handguns and would consider them more gun that the KT. I am not dissing KT I have owned a few through the years but just giving my opinion based on my experiences with these guns.
    When I leave the home port:
    S&W 642 Airweight, Ruger SP 101, Colt Detective Spec., CZ RAMI, Kahr PM9, Kahr CW40, S&W Model 10-7, Glock 30, 19, and 26, Browning Hi Power, CZ82, Colt Commander, Dan Wesson PM7, Ruger LCP

Hi All
    I have many guns that are more expensive as I love to shoot and collect them its my hobbie many Springfield and S&W, so its not like this will be my only pistol its a PF9 just thought of adding to collection just didnt want to buy junk !
    So thats why I ask and value many opions here at D.C .

I still have two KelTecs, a .32, and a P-3AT, and both have been flawless. I also had the P-11, but traded it in because it had a loooooong trigger pull. The gun functioned very well...I just hated the trigger. The PF9 is supposed to be an improvement.
    KelTec does have excellent service...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by pirate View Post
    It may not be direct apples to apples as to what the OP is looking for but off the top of my head if you include CCW revolvers several handguns in the $100-120 more range than the Kel Tec PF9.....Kahr CW series can be found for $389-399 range, Ruger SR9 $398, Ruger LCR $389....and several Taraus models under $385. (I checked these prices at Bud's guns online site).

As you know many here will have opinions about this but all I can do is give my personal views since I have owned at one time an example all these handguns and would consider them more gun that the KT. I am not dissing KT I have owned a few through the years but just giving my opinion based on my experiences with these guns.
    Thanks I was just wondering. I agree with you, I owned a KT and loved it but there are definitely nicer guns for the money.

Tomegun, KT's are not junk by any means (my opinion) and it's a great weapon to have in your collection especially if you CC. If you just like to shoot then I would probably save my money for something else but if your going to CC it, it's a great piece to have in the arsenal. They kick like mules but are good at what there designed for and that's to hide easily and go bang when it's called upon.

Kel-Tec builds quality guns and if you have a problem, their customer service is unparalleled. I have both the PF-9 & P-11 and have had nothing but good times with them. I carry the PF-9 daily in everything I wear. It is also a BUG to all my larger carry weapons. I highly recommend them. I will warn you though...the PF-9 is not a take it to the range for an all day shooting session gun. It starts to get uncomfortable to shoot after about 50 rounds. I did not buy mine for that purpose anyway.

tex45acp
    The only thing needed for evil to exist is for good men to stand by and do nothing!!!

Keltec makes good guns, no problems with mine. Excellent service.

I love my PF9. Its not meant to be a beauty or a range gun. Its meant for easy concealment, personal protection at a reasonable price.
    "Kimbers are the guns you show your friends, Glocks are the guns you show your enemies."

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links