Question on "Trigger work"

This is a discussion on Question on "Trigger work" within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I don't much (anything) when it comes to gunsmithing or having custom work done so please forgive me if the question is poorly worded or ...

Thread: Question on "Trigger work"

I don't much (anything) when it comes to gunsmithing or having custom work done so please forgive me if the question is poorly worded or just dumb. I have read about some people having work done to the triggers of some gun to have some (or all) of the "take up" taken out of a trigger mechanisim. Is this possible on some guns or did I missunderstand what the writer meant?

I have a pt145 that I love and while I don't think the trigger is bad by any means I wouldn't mind having some of the slack removed if it were possible.
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Most custom target firearms have little if any creep. They tend to have a "hair trigger" so to speak (no creep, light trigger pull weight). But they are that way for a specific purpose: accurate target shooting. Carry and defensive firearms tend to have more forgiving triggers, to prevent NDs and other liabilities.

I don't have a problem with my Glock trigger (many do) and don't understand the compulsion to install the NY1 triggers. If it were a big deal to me, I wouldn't have bought an off-the-shelf firearm to begin with and would have bought a "tuneable" custom job.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Quote Originally Posted by Rollo View Post
    I don't much (anything) when it comes to gunsmithing or having custom work done so please forgive me if the question is poorly worded or just dumb. I have read about some people having work done to the triggers of some gun to have some (or all) of the "take up" taken out of a trigger mechanisim. Is this possible on some guns or did I missunderstand what the writer meant?

I have a pt145 that I love and while I don't think the trigger is bad by any means I wouldn't mind having some of the slack removed if it were possible.
    There's a little slack in my PT140's trigger in SA mode, but no more than in most other striker-fired pistols. To my knowledge, there's nothing that can be done to eliminate that little bit of slack in Taurus pistols.
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

Distinguished Member Array razor02097's Avatar
    take up is usually due to the firing pin stop. The first part of a trigger pull disables the firing pin stop.

Take up on a CCW piece is normal and is something you want to have.
    There is something about firing 4,200 thirty millimeter rounds/min that makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

Rollo: May I start by saying that any time you express a lake of knowledge and ask a question, there is no such thing as a dumb question.
    I noticed you have a nice selection of hand guns listed, but ask this question of your pt145. Since you own another taurus. I take it they have different trigger actions. You should be able to take them to a gun smith and have them adjusted them to match. Or take which ever pistol you like the trigger pull the best and a good smith can get them very close to match.

I like a little creep in my carry pistol. However, I HATE over travel. Getting a good light trigger (3.5-6lbs) is good, a bit of creep (you dont what the trigger to fire when you barly touch it) is good, but NO over travel. Over travel screws more people over on accuracy and they dont even realize it. A good over travel stop is easy to instal on most firearms and will run about $30.

That pre travel in your PT145 is there for the "second strike". If you try to remove it the gun will not cycle in double action.

Also, the safety only engages when the trigger is all the way released. Any work to remove that pretravel will result in a gun that is only single action, and will not engage the safety.

I dont advise it. That and after a few hundred rounds the taurus triggers get down right nice

Quote Originally Posted by Avenger View Post
    I like a little creep in my carry pistol. However, I HATE over travel. Getting a good light trigger (3.5-6lbs) is good, a bit of creep (you dont what the trigger to fire when you barly touch it) is good, but NO over travel. Over travel screws more people over on accuracy and they dont even realize it. A good over travel stop is easy to instal on most firearms and will run about $30.
    What is over travel?
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

Quote Originally Posted by booyah View Post
    That pre travel in your PT145 is there for the "second strike". If you try to remove it the gun will not cycle in double action.

Also, the safety only engages when the trigger is all the way released. Any work to remove that pretravel will result in a gun that is only single action, and will not engage the safety.

I dont advise it. That and after a few hundred rounds the taurus triggers get down right nice
    Ok, that makes perfect sense. Never throught about it like that. Thanks!

Distinguished Member Array razor02097's Avatar
    What is over travel?
    Over travel is the distance the trigger travels AFTER the sear breaks during a trigger pull.
    There is something about firing 4,200 thirty millimeter rounds/min that makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

Quote Originally Posted by razor02097 View Post
    Over travel is the distance the trigger travels AFTER the sear breaks during a trigger pull.
    Makes sense. Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by razor02097 View Post
    Or on the PT145 basically none as it doesnt fire until its pulled to the very end.

On many if not most semi-automatic handguns, the only safety device is the slide, with a heavier trigger pull. I had mine lightened and tightened, for free, on my S&W Sigma 40 caliber pistol, with $43 for shipping and handling. A waste of money and time in my mind.

Well, I can only speak to the 1911 as that's the only trigger work I've personally done myself. First, don't confuse take up with creep. A small amount of take up is necessary to ensure proper reset. Creep is movement of the trigger due to the sear not letting off the hammer crisply and can be eliminated with perfect engagement geometry via very careful stoning. A small amount of overtravel is required to ensure the sear clears the hammer hooks completely. If not, the nose of your sear will be quickly worn.

Making the pull too light can result in hammer follow. What happens is the rapid slide movement jars the sear off of the hammer notch. This is dangerous as the pistol could go full auto. The reason that the bullseye guys hold their hammers back when chambering a round is to keep the wear of the sear to a minimum because of the slight bounce of the sear against the hammer notch, especially due to their weak main springs.

Quote Originally Posted by Cold Warrior View Post
    On many if not most semi-automatic handguns, the only safety device is the slide, with a heavier trigger pull. I had mine lightened and tightened, for free, on my S&W Sigma 40 caliber pistol, with $43 for shipping and handling. A waste of money and time in my mind.
    Not the situation with the Taurus MilPro series. All have a manual safety.
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

Links