Compact pistol for carry

This is a discussion on Compact pistol for carry within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Attended my CCW class last week, and once paperwork is done, I will issued a license to carry. I qualified with my Walther P22, but ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Compact pistol for carry

Compact pistol for carry

Attended my CCW class last week, and once paperwork is done, I will issued a license to carry. I qualified with my Walther P22, but am looking to add a centerfire pistol to my card ASAP. Caliber will be 9x19mm. My biggest difficulty has been deciding on the size of gun. Carrying a 4" duty sized gun seems a bit out of the question except for a month or two during the winter, so I limited this list to 3.5" or less (otherwise I would just get the S&W SW9VE or Ruger P95 and bulk up on ammunition!). It is not meant to be carried full time, due to dress constraints and valley weather, but it will be with me constantly.
    My picks so far are the new Ruger SR9c, the XD subcompact, Glock 26, and the S&W M&P9c. I have only fired full sized variants of them, never the actual compacts. I only wish the triggers were a little heavier as the Glock is too light in my opinion, and the XD was also; the M&P seemed inconsistent. The new SR9c is supposed to have a smoother trigger than the full sized gun, but since it was just added to the drop list here in CA, I might not get to handle one anytime soon.
    I am heavily leaning on the Ruger, I would like to buy American if possible, and even though I disagree with the magazine disconnect safety, I like the design and features on paper; I would be buying one sight unseen unfortunately. The XD is the heaviest and bulkiest, I trust its durability and sights are great, but I can't say I like the grip safety. The Glock is tiny and lots of accessories are available but I think the trigger is too light and it is also the second most expensive. The S&W is just in the middle of it all but it is the most expensive of the bunch and is also equipped with a magazine safety.

Another reason I am drawn to the SR9c (and P95) is the part of the FAQ (and manual) that states: "The Ruger 9mm pistols are chambered for the 9x19mm NATO Parabellum (9mm Luger) cartridge, compatible with the U.S. and foreign military or commercial 9x19mm loads manufactured in accordance with NATO, U.S., SAAMI, or CIP standards, including high-velocity, subsonic, tracer, hollow point, ammunition loaded in aluminum, steel, or brass cartridge cases, +P and +P+ ammunition." Ruger always knows how to make them tough.

2. Remove Ads

Personally I think if the choice comes down to a G26 or the ruger I would go with the G26 and this is why. I will never again buy a first generation gun (or any other product for that matter) because they simply don't have the bugs worked out yet. As far as the trigger being light I'm having a hard time understanding what you mean. Light compared to a revolver? Yes, I could see that. Light compared to other striker fired DAO gun? Not that I have noticed.
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

I also would go with the G26. However, if you feel it is too "tiny", then step up one size to the Glock 19. I also do not understand your statement about a "light" trigger. I'm not sure if you are looking for a SD weapon or a "Show" weapon. Good luck in your shopping and choice.
    Sometimes in life you have to stand your ground. It's a hard lesson to learn and even most adults don't get it, but in the end only I can be responsible for my life. If faced with any type of adversity, only I can overcome it. Waiting for someone else to take responsibility is a long fruitless wait.

Was the GLOCK that you fired stock, or had someone done some trigger work? There are aftermarket triggers and things you can do to lighten the trigger on them. I don't think a GLOCK can be beat for reliability and simplicity.

joker1
    NRA Life Member

With great power comes great responsibility.-Stan Lee

I have been looking hard at the Beretta PX4 sub compact in 9mm. It feels simply great in my medium size hand and looks good to me. But that is just an opinion.
    A Man's true character is defined by what he does when no one is looking.

Glocks aren't known for a lite trigger pull (5.5 lbs) unless it's been customized. Good luck on your search.

I did handle the Beretta Storm in a 4" but the subcompact isn't on our CA drop test list, also the FNP9 is a nice piece, but the new version is also not on our list; every gun must have a California edition it seems. The response I got from Kel-Tec was they have no intention of offering their handguns to Californians.

I guess I just prefer a smooth 0.5" long, 10 lb trigger, call me crazy =)

CC is not going to war!!!

I started out thinking I needed a tactical cannon for everyday, and after CCing for a while came to understand that as long as we have ROL and 911 working I did not need tactical firearm for CC.

If ROL brakes down I will up gun and up caliber.

Today I carry defensively only Kel Tec P3AT.
    NOT LIVING IN FEAR, JUST READY!!!
    I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness,
    nor the arrow for its swiftness,
    nor the warrior for his glory.
    I love only that which they defend.
    -J.R.R. Tolkien

I haven't held or seen the new Ruger, but I like to stay away from new models of items, especially guns.

The XD to me is ugly, and has a very high bore axis. Ambi mag release is a nice feature though.

The Glock is very dependable, but for some people the grip is too small for their hands. Not sure if CA has a round limit in their magazines, but you can get the full size mags with a magazine sleeve for home defense or when you carry under a sweatshirt; or just as your spare magazine.

My personal favorite the M&P. Being left handed I love this gun for it has ambidextrous slide release and reversible magazine release. The grip is slimmer than one expects for a double stack gun. Mine has been perfectly flawless and I put reliability up there on par with Glock's. Even my little 115lb girlfriend can fire this thing without limpwristing it. I carry the 17 round magazine from the full sized gun as my back up mag. And then there is the interchangeable back straps. Comes with small, medium, and large, so it will pretty much accommodate anyone. I seriously suggest checking one out!
    Better to die on your feet, than to live on your knees.

Wow, 10 lb trigger, now I see why you think 5.5 lbs is lite. For me, 5.5 lb is still a little stiff and I'm a big dude. Anyways, you aint crazy, to each his/her own.

Distinguished Member Array ArmyCop's Avatar
    If possible - rent or borrow the ones your considering - shoot them (at a range of course) and then decide.

One thing to consider - is how you normally dress. If no cover jacket or shirt or other garment then you might have to pocket carry (or belly band, or ankle carry) that's something to consider in your choice too.
    For God, Family and Country!

I think CA is limited to 10 round magazines.

joker1
    NRA Life Member

With great power comes great responsibility.-Stan Lee

Yep, we in CA are limited to 10 rounds in the magazine, so full sized 9mm's are a little excessive.

I agree with the sentiment that a new firearms isn't always proven, and the Glock seems to lead the pack in reliability, with the XD close behind. This is meant to be a defensive piece, as I have no desire to 'impress' anyone that have a loaded weapon pointed at my reproductive organs. Having people around me know I am carrying could make my daily life difficult so privacy is important.

The Kahr PM380 was added to our drop list on Friday, and I am excitedly waiting for a price quote, but I would prefer to stick with the 9x19mm for cost effectiveness sake.

Quote Originally Posted by searcher 45 View Post
    CC is not going to war!!!

I started out thinking I needed a tactical cannon for everyday, and after CCing for a while came to understand that as long as we have ROL and 911 working I did not need tactical firearm for CC.

If ROL brakes down I will up gun and up caliber.

Today I carry defensively only Kel Tec P3AT.
    I think that it really comes down to is finding the middle ground. For instance, There no way I could carry a full size 1911 or something like a full size glock. For me it's to big, heavy and uncomfortable. That's what I would consider a "tactical cannon". I tried carrying one for awhile and it didn't work for me. Then I switched over to single stack 9mms. I tried the Taurus 709 and a S&W 908. Both were good guns and offered a good amount of fire power but I did feel slithly under gunned. Then I found the PT145 which I carry now and I think is a perfect compromise. It smaller and lighter then a full size duty gun but offers a bit more firepower then my single stack 9mm's. 10+1 .45 in a package not much bigger then a glock 26. Perfect for me.

However if your comfortable with 7 rounds of .380 then thats the perfect gun for you. If someone is comfortable with 4 rounds of .22 then thats the perfect gun for them. It's all about personal preference.
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

Quote Originally Posted by plumbum View Post
    Yep, we in CA are limited to 10 rounds in the magazine, so full sized 9mm's are a little excessive.

I agree with the sentiment that a new firearms isn't always proven, and the Glock seems to lead the pack in reliability, with the XD close behind. This is meant to be a defensive piece, as I have no desire to 'impress' anyone that have a loaded weapon pointed at my reproductive organs. Having people around me know I am carrying could make my daily life difficult so privacy is important.

The Kahr PM380 was added to our drop list on Friday, and I am excitedly waiting for a price quote, but I would prefer to stick with the 9x19mm for cost effectiveness sake.
    Keltec PF9 would be another one worth looking at. Plenty accurate, extremely light, very thin and the trigger is pretty heavy. They are also very afordable.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links