Turning 21 soon - need advice

This is a discussion on Turning 21 soon - need advice within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hi guys, Before I begin, I'd like to thank everyone for the amount of information available on this forum. It's almost been overwhelming studying some ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Turning 21 soon - need advice

Turning 21 soon - need advice

Hi guys,

Before I begin, I'd like to thank everyone for the amount of information available on this forum. It's almost been overwhelming studying some of these threads. I'm a 20 year old student in Arizona. I plan to take my CCW course in the months before my 21st birthday, and apply for my CCW license as soon as possible. I own a couple of rifles, but not any handguns. I'd like to purchase a carry-capable handgun when I turn 21. I have the budget of a student though - so I'd like to list a couple of ones that I like so far and hear your expert opinions.

Kahr CW9

Glock 26 9mm Night Sights - the more expensive of the few. This would come just under $600. Not sure that I want to spend that much.

Ruger SR9c - heard they have barrel peening issues. Any credence to that? Though some people seem to complain about it, I like the fact that it has the flip safety as well as the trigger safety.

Taurus 709 Slim

I'm planning on attending the Crossroads of the West gunshow in Phoenix this weekend. Can I expect to save any money there? It's my understanding that it is legal for me to purchase a handgun from a private party.

Thanks in advance everyone,

Tyler,
    Arizona

2. Remove Ads

Buy 2 or 3 times 'cheaper' and not be satisified, buy more expensive once and be happy...buy the Glock-26...dependability right out of the box.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Distinguished Member Array razor02097's Avatar
    Keep checking around don't settle for one or the other or just cause a person here says get this or that. Get something that fits you and your budget

Welcome to DC
    There is something about firing 4,200 thirty millimeter rounds/min that makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

Agreed. I feel that a 9mm Glock is one of the best beginners handguns out there. But that being said....check here and see what you find, and dont buy a Taurus. Their CS stinks.

Firearms, Guns, Rifles. Grain Valley, Missouri.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    Buy 2 or 3 times 'cheaper' and not be satisified, buy more expensive once and be happy...buy the Glock-26...dependability right out of the box.
    Alright that leads me to my second question. If I can save a hundred bucks, is there any reason I shouldn't get a used G 26? Are they hard to find? What about surplus?

Distinguished Member Array Spec's Avatar
    Add the Smith and Wesson M&Pc in (9mm .357sig .40S&W .45ACP) to your list

Glock is Good don’t take this the wrong way but…..

I will tell you that the M&P is better for a lot of reasons. First a lot of different safety options if your into safeties or not alot that is up to you.

Ambidextrous slide release(If your Left handed this can make or break a purchase), easy take down, very well balanced, light weight, slim, no sharp edges, accurate right out of the box, the grip and over all feel fit exactly as your hand is made.

Three different back-straps to fit you hand exactly. Low bore axis= better accuracy which= lead on target where it is supposed to be.

I have a M&P40 over 2000 rounds, no failures. 15+1 rounds, easily concealable. (It is not to be mistaken for the Sigma Series from S&W which many complained about).

Police Departments are switching over to them, and a lot of people are call them "Glock Like" (In my opinion i think the M&P is EQUAL if not better then a Glock that’s why i bought it)

Oh and the best part "Yeah It's American Made"

GO TO THE RANGE AND SHOOT ALL OF THEM.... PICK THE ONE THAT CALLS OUT TO YOU...
    NRA Certified Rifle/Pistol Instructor
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G18CFw0lnD8

Accuracy ALWAYS WINS! So carry what you can hit with.

If you find yourself in a fair fight your tactics stink.

Go to a range that rents guns and try different kinds, what works for one may not work for another. Give XDs a try, you might like them.
    Always remember that others may hate you but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them. And then you destroy yourself.
    Richard M Nixon
    Owning a handgun doesn't make you armed any more than owning a guitar makes you a musician.
    Jeff Cooper

I plan on going to a range to test it out. The one issue that brings up is that no ranges in my area have the Ruger SR9c, which I would really like to try out.

tlaz...

A used Glock, from a reputable source, with a proper inspection...I would have no problem buying.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Oh, forgot one. What about the Kel-Tec PF-9?

If the range does not have exactly what you are looking for then ask the salesman what he has for rent that is close. Shoot it, understand it. Then, find one and put it in your hand. Remember what that one the salesman pointed out and combine it with how it feels in your hand. Nothing beats shooting a rental and then buying the new one, but if you cant find one to rent, this is your best option.

I am doing something similar right now actually. I think I want a FNP 45. I have fired the FNP40 and like it, but I want the .45. This gun is a bit different, but similar enough. I just want to find someone in my area that has a FNP 45 for me to hold so I can feel the grip and balance. I dont need to shoot it, I have fired .45's in the past, have read up on the FNP 45's from people posting reviews, watched videos online, talked to people who knows someone who knows someone who went shooting once and fired it, etc. I know what I want, but I will not commit to a purchase until I hold one in my hand.

Find something that fits you, fire it if possible, talk to people about it, do your homework, and make an informed decision. Dont rush. This is a major step in your life and you want to start out on the right foot. So far, so good. Keep you mind and your eyes open, something will happen shortly. Good LUCK!

Quote Originally Posted by tlaz View Post
    Oh, forgot one. What about the Kel-Tec PF-9?
    Good for a BACK UP gun, go for the Glock for primary carry and you'll be a happy camper.

Marry a wealthy widow or a woman with an education and a good job...or one with many family members who have. The guns will come.

Check out the M&P compact also...I went with the Ruger SR9c because of the ambi safeties and mag release plus its size. it s been working great for me now that ive ran a few hundred rounds through it. if it fits your hand Glock is hard to beat but at $600 you can get it cheaper probably...look used also I saw a used Glock 26 at the shop I got the Ruger at it was $450 probably could have gotten it for $425 and then just add some night sights and your closer to $500 than $600...possibly even get it used WITH some night sights..thats what id be doing if I were you ...IF I were me id get the Ruger or the M&P toss up between the 2 just what ever fit your hand best I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by NC Bullseye View Post
    Good for a BACK UP gun, go for the Glock for primary carry and you'll be a happy camper.
    There are a few people here who have Kel-Tecs as their primary carry piece and they are quite happy with them in that role. Not everybody wants to shell out 450+ for a Glock.* Not everybody can conceal a Glock as well as a Kel-Tec either, even something like the 26.

If he's a starving college student like myself**, a Kel-Tec would be perfect because it won't break the bank and will be easy to hide on even the most emaciated of frames (which will be of primary importance if he decides to carry to a 'zero tolerance' environment like a college campus.)

*Heresy! Blasphemy! Sacrilege!
    ** Unless he's a Scum Devil from that other university in southern AZ, in which case he can go to hell. ;)

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links