What to do? What to do?

This is a discussion on What to do? What to do? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am in the market for a new carry piece and am considering a S&W M&P compact. I currently have a Springfield Champion 4" .45 ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What to do? What to do?

What to do? What to do?

I am in the market for a new carry piece and am considering a S&W M&P compact. I currently have a Springfield Champion 4" .45 and also a Smith & Wesson 5904 9MM. I bought the Smith because it was a great deal and it was back in the day when 9MM was all the rage. It is a little thick to carry concealed due to the fact that it's a duty gun. So, do I buy a S&W M&P 9c/.40c (same frame size) or get one in .45 though it's a thicker grip. I like the feel of the 9/.40 in the hand. I load 9MM currently (.45 soon) and .40 would be a "new" caliber entirely. Since I have a lot of 9MM rounds already would I be missing much in the way of terminal performance if I stick with that caliber over the .40? Looking forward to all the expert opinions and though this seems like a no brainer...it's not really.
    Last edited by Munch; February 23rd, 2010 at 06:25 PM.
    “Owning a handgun doesn’t make you armed any more than owning a guitar makes you a musician.” Jeff Cooper

http://carniakcustom.com/

2. Remove Ads

"I like the feel of the 9/.40 in the hand."
    There's your answer...
    Kimber Pro Carry II; Night Sights
    S&W 340PD

Distinguished Member Array Der Alte's Avatar
    After carrying a .40c for the past two years that would be my choice.
    Its a shame that youth is wasted on the young.

If it was a complete no-brainer, this forum and others like it would simply dry up and go away! And there are few true "expert" opinions out there.

You asked about terminal performance. Simply put, modern expanding ammo in modern guns minimizes any significant advantage of one caliber over another, at least within the 9mm - .40 - .45 range.

After the big police transition to auto pistols happened in the 80's, the most common LE round was the 9mm. But cops face a wider range of threats than we mere CCW'd "civlilians" and some ammo deficiencies were identified over the years, particularly with regard to barries such as auto glass and sheet metal. The heavier projectiles in the bigger calibers do a better job here, and the .40 gained a huge following so it is now the most common LE round in the US. It's not a death ray compared to the 9mm and the .45, but it does seem to do a lot of things right, while offering the advantages of reasonable round count in a duty gun and manageable recoil.

All things being equal, which they never are, the .40 ammo is a tad more expensive than 9mm, simply because the components are bigger (case, powder, bullet). If you shoot a lot and cost is a driver, keep that in mind. Reloading-wise, you have more choices in bullets and loads with the 9mm and .45 than with .40. Accuracy is highly dependent on the gun itself and the shooter, but you'll search long and hard to develop 9mm or .40 reloads that are as accurate as what you can get with the .45.

So - no easy answers! If you leaned on me for an opinion, I'd say go for the 9mm since you're already set up with reloading that caliber, but that's about the only reason.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Thanks for taking the time to respond gasmitty.... I'll more than likely go with the 9c when the times comes.
    “Owning a handgun doesn’t make you armed any more than owning a guitar makes you a musician.” Jeff Cooper

http://carniakcustom.com/

Handguns are poor man stoppers in general. Go with whichever you like better and choose good defensive ammo. 9mm or .40, doesn’t matter.

Get the best of both worlds...... go .357 SIG!!!
    Weapons list suppressed...........

VIP Member
    I'd say go with the 9, since you reload it already.
    "Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas!".... Sam Houston

Retired LEO
    Firearms Instructor
    NRA Life Member

I'd go with the .40 myself. The top 9mm loads get fairly close in terms of performance and stopping power, but you'd have to be willing to put +p+ loads in your gun to get there. The .40 is just a better manstopper, and you already indicated that model felt really good in your hands, so I say go for it. Get yourself some good 165 gr hollow points for it and carry with confidence.

.40 has never been a round I would consider. Go with 9mm or .45 I have never seen a reason to settle somewhere in the middle. If you want a big boy round go with the .45, if you want a more compact weapon then the 9mm works.

Someone once said " A 9mm round might expand to somewhere near half an inch, but it is a fact of life the a .45 round will never shrink"

As for the .357sig, why? LOL, the Edsel of self defense rounds.
    You may now carry on with your absurd non-directional bantering.
    Yocan

TGC
    Go with the 9...the stopping power is plenty...cheaper to practice with.

Quote Originally Posted by mirage2521 View Post

Oh no, the quintessential insult..... but wait why do I see all the State LEO's in Texas carrying it?????

Weapons list suppressed...........

Distinguished Member Array GWRedDragon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TGC View Post
    Go with the 9...the stopping power is plenty...cheaper to practice with.
    +1. More practice is good
    "Trust in God with hand on sword" -Inscription on my family's coat of arms from medieval England
    ---Carry options: G26/MTAC, PF9/MiniTuck, PPK/Pocket, USP40/OWB---
    ---NOTE: I am not an expert. If I ever start acting like a know-it-all, please call me on it immediately. ---

Quote Originally Posted by toaster View Post
    Oh no, the quintessential insult..... but wait why do I see all the State LEO's in Texas carrying it?????

LOL.....I have no idea why. It always seemed to me it was round that did not need to be made. In my very very limited experience with them they seem hard to find and a little pricey. True?

I have grown into a .45 guy. The only time a carry anything else it because there was a reason I could not carry .45
    You may now carry on with your absurd non-directional bantering.
    Yocan

Distinguished Member Array PastorPack's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mirage2521 View Post
    Hey, I thought the .45 GAP had that title all wrapped up!
    God is love (1 John 4:8)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links