S&W SC Commander bobtail finished

This is a discussion on S&W SC Commander bobtail finished within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Just finished the bobtail and trigger work on this S&W Scandium commander. Customer wanted a smooth stainless MSH and I am happy with his choice. ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: S&W SC Commander bobtail finished

Just finished the bobtail and trigger work on this S&W Scandium commander. Customer wanted a smooth stainless MSH and I am happy with his choice. Looks very nice. Polished all of the trigger internals and with the sear and hammer work, now has a very nice lighter side of 4 lb trigger that is much crisper than the original. Pretty creepy before. I will be cutting the grips to match tomorrow, but thought you might like to see the skeleton. Enjoy.

I just finished the gun and the pics. I have a LOT of pics of it as I was playing with lighting and so on. Not that this gun needs this many pics, just a lot of a gun and me playing with the camera. Sorry for the number of them, but enjoy!! The grips were fun to do, not easy and they turned out well. I also replaced the blued MSH pin with a stainless one for a more seamless, blended look. I don't like bobtail grips that are drilled for the MSH pin, I think they look better without.

Jess

I noticed that when I was looking this pistol over that the barrel crown seemed to be a bit rough from the factory. It had several significant "snags" that you could feel with your thumbnail running it across the crown. Since the pistol was already here and the owner was agreeable, I did a crown and polish on the barrel before it goes home. Here are a few more pics.

Please excuse the fuzz and polishing/cleaning residue on the gun. I did not get it as clean as I would have like for the pics, but it has more of the used "lived in" look this way. This is one that I would not mind keeping myself. With the bobtail and weight of the Scandium frame and commander size, it makes for one tight little carry gun! I really need to work on the gallery for my website, but at least photobucket is a fast way to post for now.

Jess

Administrator

Whoa! Lots Of Pics

Thanks for posting them.
    Nice Job.
    What's it like working on that Scandium alloy?

I've worked on Titanium & Aluminum...is Scandium closer to one than the other...with regard to the way it files and finishes? I'm just curious about that.

Yep, For Sure if you are posting pictures for a gunsmith website then your pics need to be as perfect/flawless as possible.

Have you seen the setup that Chris (P95Carry) uses to photograph his guns?

He gets his lighting really perfect.

He has an instructional post somewhere on the forum.
    He'll know right where to locate it.

Hey...Keep up the great work. Real nice.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Administrator

Thumbs up

BTW: If you have not done so already....be sure to open up a thread telling us what gun types you prefer working on & detail what sort of custom work you do & prices.

Maybe you'll catch some business from some forum members.

Are you doing all types and manner of custom work?
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Lead Moderator
    Looks great. Very nice finished product too. I would not hesitate to send my business your way if I ever need it done.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

very nice work .. The first batches of smith 1911sc's had very rough Muzzle crowns ..

What did you use to refinish the frame after doing the bobtail.. I have heard lots of places wont fool with them or other lightweights because they have no way to re-anodize the frame

Assistant Administrator
    Great - and wow yeah - huge pic selection. I will edit to separate each pic - I think it'll help stop them merging into one another (coupla return hits between each image tag set.)

The lighting seems to have worked out pretty well so doubt you need much help - but QK referred to a suggestion I'd made re just that - so in case of interest this thread is where I refer to my absurdly simple set-up, which happens to work moderately well --------

http://www.combatcarry.com/vbulletin...ead.php?t=6865 - posts #8 and 9 are I think the relevant ones. Doesn't seem like you need too much help tho!

Very nice work Jess, tho to my eye the looks are not as appealing as the std profile - just me! Age ya know!
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    Real Nice looking work
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

VIP Member
    Excellent work....I'm thinking about getting my Dan Wesson 10mm bobtailed.
    USAF: Loving Our Obscene Amenities Since 1947

I got this pistol home yesterday and it is GORGEOUS!!!!!!!!!! I think it can hold it's own with any Hi Dollar Custom Gun. It is as lovely as the pix show it. Jess' trigger job is as crisp as biting a carrot and his work on refining and polishing the crown shines like a new shiny dime. I have a Dan Wesson Commander Bobtail which was high in my regard but it can't hold a candle to this S&W Scandium Commander. I plan to test drive the pistol this afternoon and when it passes, it will become my #1 Carry Gun. Being scandium and Bobtailed, it carries and conceals better than my 3" Ultra Carry II. If anyone is considering a Bobtail or any other Gunsmithing, Jess Gypin at, On Target Custom Gunworks www.ontargetcgw.com , is the man!!!! THANK YOU JESS, I can sure strut now!!!
    People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence in their behalf. - George Orwell

Senior Member Array ssssthesnake's Avatar
    nice checked out the 1911 a-1 on his site nice checkering of the front strap might be going to colarado to visit my brother might be worth checking in to thanks good looking work although im no expert on gunsmithing

Senior Member Array CombatEffective's Avatar
    Beautiful work!!
    Shooters' Legacy

Special sections for S&W and Ruger

RANGE REPORT: I took her to the range today and put 100 rounds thru her flawlessly. I wish the shooter had done as well. In one of the forums someone wished me luck in maintaining my grip on the smooth Main Spring Housing. In 93 degree, humid Fla. heat I had absolutely NO problems. As a matter of fact I like the Bobtail better than the standard 1911 grip which tends to poke into the heel of my hand. THANKS AGAIN JESS and congrats on a GREAT job.
    People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence in their behalf. - George Orwell

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links