Another Wheel Gun...

This is a discussion on Another Wheel Gun... within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I was browsing on Gunbroker last week and came across some police trade in revolvers. They looked to be in pretty good shape, the auctions ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Another Wheel Gun...

VIP Member

Another Wheel Gun...

I was browsing on Gunbroker last week and came across some police trade in revolvers. They looked to be in pretty good shape, the auctions had no reserve and the prices started at $0.01. I thought it would be fun to bid because I'd never bid on any guns before. I ended up winning an auction on a S&W 64-6. A typical 'pre-lock' SS K-frame, .38+P, DA/SA with a 4" barrel. I was planning on using it for a range/fun gun, so I wasn't too concerned about the finish.

I picked it up today from my FFL and was surprised at the condition of the gun. It was in much better condition than the auction photos showed. The bore looks like new, the timing/lockup is great and it has that smooth S&W trigger. My wife picked it up, tried the trigger and thinks we should use it for a house gun, once we shoot it. I went and got a set of Hogue Monogrips for it, because they fit her best. I think I got a pretty good deal. Including transfer fees, shipping costs and the Hogues I ended up spending just under $275. Here are before and after pics...

The original auction photo...

These are after I got it home and gave it a quick 5 minute 'wipe down' and put the Hogue Monogrips on it...

"Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas!".... Sam Houston

Retired LEO
    Firearms Instructor
    NRA Life Member

2. Remove Ads

Sweet, I've been thinking about looking for a used/reliable/lower-cost wheel gun. Do you remember the seller username?

Awesome grab!

That is one very nice S&W.

Hope you get very good service out of it.
    NOT LIVING IN FEAR, JUST READY!!!
    I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness,
    nor the arrow for its swiftness,
    nor the warrior for his glory.
    I love only that which they defend.
    -J.R.R. Tolkien

Wow, even in the first photo it looks great. That was a nice find TX.
    How is the cylinder gap and lockup?
    For as the lightning comes from the east and flashes to the west, so also will the coming of the son of man be. Mathew 24:27

NRA Member

That's a solid gun, and at a very fair price. These are in very good supply these days as police trades, some with the NYC double-action only conversion as well. I picked one up at a gun show a couple of years ago... must have been a desk guy's gun, since it has no holster wear and barely appeared fired. Nice heavy barrel, and shoots to point of aim with 158 grain +Ps. About as sophisticated as a mailbox, and that's a plus. Perfect house gun, especially since my new bride is learning to shoot with her M63 .22 revolver and finds auto pistols too complicated.

About 6 months after I got that one, a 2" model with factory DAO and a trigger job fell into my hands as well. Dressed it up with Eagle Secret Service stocks and it's a sweet companion to the 4 incher. I love my autos, but I'd never be without wheelguns, either.

Nice catch!
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

VIP Member
    The seller was G.S.D. They still have some 64's and GP-100's on auction....They were excellent to deal with. They shipped the same day I called with credit card info... The cylinder gap is .006 and lockup is tight...
    "Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas!".... Sam Houston

Retired LEO
    Firearms Instructor
    NRA Life Member

Nice gun, great price.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

Distinguished Member Array Rugergirl's Avatar
    Very nice!!!!
    Disclaimer: The posts made by this member are only the members opinion, not a reflection on anyone else, nor the group, and should not be cause for anyone to get their undergarments wedged in an uncomfortable position.

Very cool.

Distinguished Member Array REVMAN's Avatar
    Looks nice! Enjoy
    Always put Jesus first in your life.
    NRA (Lifetime Member)
    U.S. Navy Vet.

Excellent buy.
    Healthy children will not fear life, if their parents have integrity enough not to fear death.
    -TIME DEUM ET OPERARE IUSTITIAM--

Beautiful gun, I've got a 686 that looks to be shaped much like that one and I absolutely love it. Great buy. How about those Hogue grips? They never looked comfortable to me, are they really that good? They must be popular for a reason...

Distinguished Member Array Doc Holliday's Avatar
    Congrats on a fine wheelie.

I've got a M65 I am fond of. It was a police trade in. Mine was a gift from my brother. The old hand ejector in the pic was my Great-Grandfather's.
    Attached Images
    Why Ike, whatever do you mean? Maybe poker's just not your game Ike. I know! Let's have a spelling contest!

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by peckman28 View Post
    Beautiful gun, I've got a 686 that looks to be shaped much like that one and I absolutely love it. Great buy. How about those Hogue grips? They never looked comfortable to me, are they really that good? They must be popular for a reason...
    They're not my favorite, but my wife has very small hands and needs a grip that doesn't cover the backstrap or she can't reach the trigger. I liked the grips that were on the gun when I got it.

Retired LEO
    Firearms Instructor
    NRA Life Member

Very nice.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links