Need Advice on Series 80 MK IV Commander

This is a discussion on Need Advice on Series 80 MK IV Commander within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Greetings all, I once had a Springer Champion that was a lemon. I swore off short barreled 1911's after selling it. A good friend has ...

Thread: Need Advice on Series 80 MK IV Commander

Senior Member Array Sportsterguy's Avatar

Need Advice on Series 80 MK IV Commander

Greetings all,

I once had a Springer Champion that was a lemon. I swore off short barreled 1911's after selling it. A good friend has 2 stainless Colt Combat Commanders in .45. He's willing to sell me one with less than 100 rounds of ball ammo down the tube for $750.00 in fantastic condition. I shot 50 rounds of 230 gr. Speer GD LE HP's through it with no problem using 4 different mags (2 Colt, 2 Wilson 8 rounders).

Does anyone carry or know someone who carries this weapon for EDC and what are you're/their opinions on it? The CCC feels fantastic in my hand, has a decent trigger, and is more accurate than my 19 YO Springer Standard.

Any opinions would be really appreciated. After my bad experience with the Champion I'm gun shy on chopped 1911's.

Respectfully,

Roger
    Sportsterguy-NRA Life Member

Molon Labe!

Join the NRA today, or don't complain when your guns are taken away!

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array pirate's Avatar
    I have a Colt Commander (series 80) and have never had any issues with it. I don't carry it a lot now but I have many carry options so it nothing agianst the handgun which is very high quality.

Last edited by pirate; February 24th, 2010 at 05:51 PM.
    When I leave the home port:
    S&W 642 Airweight, Ruger SP 101, Colt Detective Spec., CZ RAMI, Kahr PM9, Kahr CW40, S&W Model 10-7, Glock 30, 19, and 26, Browning Hi Power, CZ82, Colt Commander, Dan Wesson PM7, Ruger LCP

Administrator
    I would not consider the Commander to be a typical "chopped" 1911.
    Personally I would consider the Colt Commander length (in the Combat weight) 1911s to actually be the ideal length 1911 with regard to heft and balance.

Some individual full length (as well as Commander length & even Long-Slide) 1911s experience initial feed reliability problems. That is almost always due to an improperly tuned extractor or a crappy (excess friction) slide to frame fit or poor quality magazines.
    Any of those problems could be easily rectified.

In short...there is no mechanical reason why a Colt Commander length 1911 should be any LESS reliable with regard to function than a full size 1911.

To answer the remainder of your question...I trust my life to the Colt Combat Commander nearly every day & I place great value on my life.

If the Combat Commander that you are interested in only has 100 rounds through it then that gun is (for all intent & purposes) still brand new.

Many custom gunsmiths put at least 100 rounds through every pistol before it gets sent out to the customer.

I agree completely with QKShooter and will add that I absolutely love my Colt Combat Commander. Colt could do a little better job in final machining but mine runs like a Cadillac and I wouldn't trade it. I carry mine regularly and am fully confident in it's reliability.

My Commander has been riding in my belt for 30 years, never a problem and I trust it like no other handgun. It's looking a little used at this point, but hey, that's a lot of miles in a sweaty wasteband. It now boasts a beavertail grip safety and an extended thumb safety, but I don't monkey with the innards-- no National Match parts, no tightening the tollerances to improve accuracy. That's the heart of its reliability, I believe, a slightly rattley slide and enough room that when dirt gets in there it won't shut the gun down. (That and the fact that JM Browning was an engineering genius). It's not meant for target shooting, but for practical pistol shooting and self defense it's about as good as a handgun can get.

AS QK said, a Commander is not a "chopped" 1911. It's just a real handy size and has proven reliable for probably 50 years now.

It's a solid gun and the price seems good. Go for it!
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

iv'e had a combat commander for over 30 years and it has always been nearly 100% reliable. i did research the short barrels and found there reliability lacking so i never bought one. 5 years after ccw permits in ohio [carry] i wanted something lighter and reliable so i went with a glock 23 and 27 in .40 caliber. i was told by many that a barrel in a 1911 below 4'' is a roll of the dice. at the price of short barrel 1911s i wasn't willing to roll the dice.

Links