Taurus PT709 Slim Range report

This is a discussion on Taurus PT709 Slim Range report within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I picked up a Taurus 709 for my wife this past weekend. My wife is only 4'11" with very tiny hands. While at the gun ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

I picked up a Taurus 709 for my wife this past weekend. My wife is only 4'11" with very tiny hands. While at the gun show in Charlotte we had her try many guns and this one fit her to a "T". I brought the gun to the range yesterday to give it a test run for her, and ran 200 flawless rounds through it. I was using Federal 115 grain FMJ and it ate it up just fine. At 30' the gun was accurate and able to hold a good grouping and I must say this gun was not only fun to shoot but a pleasure. My thinking was the slim grip and the light weight were going to make for a sore hand, but the recoil was VERY manageable and the grip was great. My only problem was my lunch time ran out and I had to leave. I have to say that if my wife doesn't like the gun it will become my summer carry, I love this gun already. If she does like it I WILL buy another for me. Cleaning was a breeze, it is the exact breakdown as my Glock 27. I had looked at the Kel-Tec PF9 at the gun show also but the 709 was a better fit for my wife.
    NRA Endowment Member
    USCCA Member
    Certified Glock Armorer
    Patriot Guard Rider

Congrats on the new Taurus. I'm hearing nothing but good reviews on the 709. A friend of mine has one and loves it. Glad it runs good for ya.

GBK
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

VIP Member
    Good report. Thanks for taking the time!

Good luck!
    "Mind own business"
    "Always cut cards"

Distinguished Member Array Paymeister's Avatar
    Daughter turns 21 this year... saving my pennies...
    Recently updated website: http://www.damagedphotorepair.com

Quote Originally Posted by Joeface View Post
    I picked up a Taurus 709 for my wife this past weekend. My wife is only 4'11" with very tiny hands. While at the gun show in Charlotte we had her try many guns and this one fit her to a "T". I brought the gun to the range yesterday to give it a test run for her, and ran 200 flawless rounds through it. I was using Federal 115 grain FMJ and it ate it up just fine. At 30' the gun was accurate and able to hold a good grouping and I must say this gun was not only fun to shoot but a pleasure. My thinking was the slim grip and the light weight were going to make for a sore hand, but the recoil was VERY manageable and the grip was great. My only problem was my lunch time ran out and I had to leave. I have to say that if my wife doesn't like the gun it will become my summer carry, I love this gun already. If she does like it I WILL buy another for me. Cleaning was a breeze, it is the exact breakdown as my Glock 27. I had looked at the Kel-Tec PF9 at the gun show also but the 709 was a better fit for my wife.
    Thanks. Mirrors my 709 experience. I've had mine 4 months or so w/ 600 flawless rounds. Out of 9 handguns, this one has become one of my favorite shooters as well as carriers. Accurate and not bad recoil. It is a pleasure to shoot. Glad you happened across it. One of my friends carries a G26 mostly, liked my 709 so much he bought one. He has several Gs, and said he thought if G made a single stack thin 9, it would closely resemble this. Thas was a huge compliment coming from him.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Thanks for the report. It's kinda funny - 10 years ago I would not have owned a Taurus under any circumstances. I now have two of them. So far, not a even a minor problem. The 709 just might be my next gun.
    "Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups"

Quote Originally Posted by Divebum47 View Post
    Thanks for the report. It's kinda funny - 10 years ago I would not have owned a Taurus under any circumstances. I now have two of them. So far, not a even a minor problem. The 709 just might be my next gun.
    I felt exactly the same way. Now my EDC is a pt145 and my deep concealment option is a 709.
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

I shot one of these this past weekend. A friend I had not seen in some time brought it to the range. For me the grip seemed as small as a Kahr PM9 or even nearly as small as my P238.

I had a problem where the mags would not drop free, we determined it was my "GI Joe Kung Fu Grip" that cased it. I was squeezing the polymer grip too hard.

It did shoot well, I will see if my wife likes how it feels as we are still searching for her gun.

Sled

You know Taurus is bringing out a .40 version this year, PT740. I've got it on my "Possible" list, along with Bersa .40 UC and CC.
    A 1911 is Not an obsession, it's simply a recognition that it's THE Gun. :-) All others are runner ups. And hey, if all else fails, aim for the nose and fling it to knock out your foe. Let's see y'all do that with a kel-Tec. ;-)

What holsters is everyone using on theirs? What is compatible?
    NRA Endowment Member
    USCCA Member
    Certified Glock Armorer
    Patriot Guard Rider

AzB
    Quote Originally Posted by Joeface View Post
    What holsters is everyone using on theirs? What is compatible?
    It fits in my front pocket fine, so I just use a BlackHawk pocket holster size 4.

I found a shoulder holster at the gun range that fit, but I forget what it was.

Az

AzB
    I've had mine for a couple months and several hundred rounds. No misfires, no FTEs, shoots perfectly. Only complaint was that the sights were off, and while trying to dial them in, I found that the rear sight was loose. A little loctite on the screw and a couple dozen rounds to sight her in and she's a great shooter. Pretty darned accurate to 15 yds.

Az

got pics?

Nice avatar pelco44.

Here are a few pics, from top to bottom and right to left.
    Glock 27
    Taurus 709
    Ruger LCP

NRA Endowment Member
    USCCA Member
    Certified Glock Armorer
    Patriot Guard Rider

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links