Tell me if this is a good deal: LCP+crap ammo

This is a discussion on Tell me if this is a good deal: LCP+crap ammo within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I've been interested in the Ruger LCP as a BUG. I carry a 9mm primary. Through a gun forum in Virginia I struck a deal ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tell me if this is a good deal: LCP+crap ammo

Tell me if this is a good deal: LCP+crap ammo

I've been interested in the Ruger LCP as a BUG. I carry a 9mm primary.

Through a gun forum in Virginia I struck a deal to buy a used Ruger LCP (post-recall) and 1 extra mag (2 mags total), 15 carry rounds (Golden Sabre JHP's), and 400 rounds of 380 range ammo for a very low price: $320.

Here's the catch. The range ammo included is Herter's steel-cased ball ammo. I believe it's a Cabela's exclusive akin to Wolf, but from what I've just read online it's extremely dirty and highly prone to FTF's, FTE's and misfires, almost more trouble than it's worth.

It seemed like the deal of a lifetime until I realized how bad Herter's is (apparently it used to be good some years ago, then somebody bought the name and started putting it on crap, kinda like what happened to Schwinn bicycles).

My working theory as to why the price is so low is that this guy has become totally frustrated with the LCP mainly due to the Herters ammo. He probably bought 500, used 100 and gave up.

The price seems good even without the Herter's. So, should I proceed with this deal? What say ye?

Any chance the 100 rounds of Herter's may have damaged the LCP? (Herter's is supposed to be rather high pressure).

Anybody want to buy 400 rounds of Herter's? :)
    Last edited by cz2075bd; February 25th, 2010 at 10:23 AM. Reason: typo
    pro-CZ's, pro-AR's, anti-CZAR's

2. Remove Ads

Offer him $250 w/o ammo. Or just sell the ammo. Sounds like a ok deal. Most gun shops are selling the lcp for 280-325 new. Add 20-25 for extra mag.
    “The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing.”.... Albert Einstein

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

Distinguished Member Array PastorPack's Avatar
    Buy it! Keep a hundred rounds of ammo and sell the rest to recoup your purchase price.
    God is love (1 John 4:8)

Maybe a quick call to Ruger would help regarding the use of that steel cased ball ammo. My local range has a NIB LCP for $339.00. It's your call, but remember sometimes selling ammo is a pain. Maybe try a lower price and he keeps the steel ball ammo.
    May we never forget those in uniform who protect us night and day in lands far away. And those in all wars who paid the supreme sacrifice in defense of our country. May God Bless our Troops and First Responders.

Quote Originally Posted by PastorPack View Post
    Buy it! Keep a hundred rounds of ammo and sell the rest to recoup your purchase price.
    My thoughts exactly. Sell the surplus ammo to recoup some costs and make the pistol purchase that much better of a deal.
    "Get out of my dreams and into my Kahr"

http://designlinetx.com/

Quote Originally Posted by cz2075bd View Post
    I've been interested in the Ruger LCP as a BUG. I carry a 9mm primary.

Through a gun forum in Virginia I struck a deal to buy a used Ruger LCP (post-recall) and 1 extra mag (2 mags total), 15 carry rounds (Golden Sabre JHP's), and 400 rounds of 380 range ammo for a very low price: $320.

Here's the catch. The range ammo included is Herter's steel-cased ball ammo. I believe it's a Cabela's exclusive akin to Wolf, but from what I've just read online it's extremely dirty and highly prone to FTF's, FTE's and misfires, almost more trouble than it's worth.

It seemed like the deal of a lifetime until I realized how bad Herter's is (apparently it used to be good some years ago, then somebody bought the name and started putting it on crap, kinda like what happened to Schwinn bicycles).

My working theory as to why the price is so low is that this guy has become totally frustrated with the LCP mainly due to the Herters ammo. He probably bought 500, used 100 and gave up.

The price seems good even without the Herter's. So, should I proceed with this deal? What say ye?

Any chance the 100 rounds of Herter's may have damaged the LCP? (Herter's is supposed to be rather high pressure).

Anybody want to buy 400 rounds of Herter's? :)
    well the owner of the range i go to has seen double charged 45acp herters ammo blow the barrel off of a thompson. plus that lacquer stuff on the shell melts off into your chamber, which people pay him to clean. (even with a brass bore brush on a drill can't get it all off).

although unlikely with only 100 rounds, it's possible the steel cases of the herters did some damage to the extractor or ejector. just call ruger, they'll fix it for free :)

i damaged my glock 19's extractor and ejector with steel cased copper plated S&B, but i fired 1,000 rounds of it, and glock sent me the parts for free.

i wouldn't shoot any steel cased russian stuff in any of my guns, but that's just me.

I think the Herters is actually manufactured by Wolf. They are very careful to say that it's "Russian Made" but don't mention the parent company or the plant. While this may not be the case I know that I don't trust the Wolf ammo in my surplus guns. In the Mak world I know that the general consensus on the Wolf steel cased 9x18 ammo is that it damages the firing pins on surplus guns. This may not be true for the .380 but I wouldn't run a lot of it through any Carry Gun.

I know that you can get a NEW LCP locally here for $279 +Tax. The Extra Mag would be $25 and a box of carry ammo is running around $25 now as well.
    .......YMMV

Blue Jacket -- good advice to call Ruger and ask them about the ammo. My experience with Ruger service folks is A-1. (I am about to get either a LCP or LCR -- or maybe both (perhaps giving one to my adult son).

Those whose experience I respect and respect have also told me to always buy quality US-made ammo -- and shop aroound for the best price.

Thank you for your double service to the country and community. By the way, I do like your closing manta.

2nd Amedment Democrat
    Vietnam Vet
    NRA Dis. Life Member

Thanks for all advice guys. I took the deal. He wouldn't split or move on price (he had already come down from 350).

I may sell the Herter's but I shot six rounds of it yesterday and it seemed fine. (Granted 6 is not a big enough sample to inspire confidence, but at least no failures. Some of the Herter's reviews online said Herter's would have an issue with every other round.)

I will say that the LCP is a zinger, definitely not a range gun! The ammo should be called Hurters. So I probably don't need 400 (er, 394) rounds of Herter's anyway. Maybe I'll sell 300, keep 100.

I may sell the Herter's but I shot six rounds of it yesterday and it seemed fine. (Granted 6 is not a big enough sample to inspire confidence, but at least no failures. Some of the Herter's reviews online said Herter's would have an issue with every other round.)
    Good deal on the gun, enjoy. I always have my P3at in my pocket regardless of what else I'm carrying.

Just know that there is nothing in the way that Wolf shoots that will tell you that you are destroying your firing pin. It will just go "click' one day when you least expect it. It happens a lot to 9x18 surplus guns. be aware and use at your own risk.

Distinguished Member
    Crap ammo. No amount of crap ammo is worth it for me, no matter how ridiculous the price. Other than the risk to the firearm I'd be scared it would take an eye or cheekbone out somehow.

Sounds like a pretty good deal. I saw a new LCP at my local GS the other day for $349 and change. Depending on what shape it's in, it sounds like a decent deal.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." – Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." – Thomas Jefferson

Ok, I sold 350 rounds of the herter's for $100, and kept 50 for myself (only because I had already used 6 rounds).

So that brings my final cash outlay to $220 for the LCP + 1 extra mag + 15 rounds of golden saber and 50 rounds of herter's. The guy also threw in a pearce grip extension.

I'm pretty psyched about my new BUG.

Ok, I sold 350 rounds of the herter's for $100, and kept 50 for myself (only because I had already used 6 rounds).

So that brings my final cash outlay to $220 for the LCP + 1 extra mag + 15 rounds of golden saber and 50 rounds of herter's. The guy also threw in a pearce grip extension.

I'm pretty psyched about my new BUG.
    Enjoy the new (to you) pistola...
    You did just fine!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Sounds like a sweet deal! Congrats!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links