SIG GSR Blues

This is a discussion on SIG GSR Blues within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So I got a SIG GSR 1911 back in June of last year, and right from the start it was a jam-happy pistol. At first, ...

Thread: SIG GSR Blues

SIG GSR Blues

So I got a SIG GSR 1911 back in June of last year, and right from the start it was a jam-happy pistol. At first, it was FTF problems. I put 500 rounds through it, the problem remained, and so I sent it back to the factory. It comes back 2 weeks later and starts up with FTE problems. Sometimes the spent casing would just be sitting there on the top of the magazine on the last shot, sometimes it would wrap itself around the top of the slide and it would take a key to pry it out. Back it went.

Took it out after it was returned, and it did the same thing, but with less frequency. Called them this morning, and went through the whole gauntlet of possible problems. They asked about ammo, limp-wristing, modifications (none), and cleaning methods. It's got over 1,000 rounds through it now, so can't blame lack of break-in either. Finally convinced them by telling them I have another 1911, a Springfield, that has fed the same ammo with no malfunctions at all in my hands. Just got back from dropping the gun off for its third trip to the factory, and hoping for the best.

2. Remove Ads

Good luck with you gun. I was looking at the GSR until I rented one. I got so practiced at Tap-Rack-Ready during that 50rd session I lost all interest in that pistol. At the time I attributed it to the gun being a rental and dirty, but after talking with the guy behind the counter he said clean or dirty the gun performed about the same. I'm sure there are many copies that perform well, but I wasn't ready to take that chance.

I am surprised that a reputable company such as Sig would have a gun that so many have had a lot of problems with.

Distinguished Member Array kazzaerexys's Avatar
    Sorry to hear it. My g/f has a GSR (2nd Gen, 5" Stainless) that has overall shot well, but it has not been without problems. The out-of-the-box issues were solved with one trip back to SIG for a new extractor. There's been a few more things since then that are a result of some lower quality internal parts.

The rub, of course, is that it is a fantastic shooter. *sigh*
    “What is a moderate interpretation of [the Constitution]? Halfway between what it says and [...] what you want it to say?” —Justice Antonin Scalia

SIG: P220R SS Elite SAO, P220R SAO, P220R Carry, P226R Navy, P226, P239/.40S&W, P2022/.40S&W; GSR 5", P6.

Distinguished Member Array AutoFan's Avatar
    Weird, I have one of the early GSRs (with the "manhole cover") and I've never had a jam.

It too is very accurate.

Sigs Customer Service has been very spotty in recent years.

Quote Originally Posted by AutoFan View Post
    Weird, I have one of the early GSRs (with the "manhole cover") and I've never had a jam.

It too is very accurate.

Sigs Customer Service has been very spotty in recent years.
    Man must be nice. The gun is a great shooter and very accurate. Probably the prettiest gun I have too, and very comfortable to hold. Their customer service people have been very polite and turnaround has been very quick, under two weeks, but the thing needs to actually get fixed already...

Links