Concerning Walther PPS

Concerning Walther PPS

This is a discussion on Concerning Walther PPS within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I wonder is someone here carry/owns a Walther PPS 9mm. It will be interesting to hear what you guys think about this pistol. The PPS’s ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Concerning Walther PPS

GM [OP]

Arrow Concerning Walther PPS

I wonder is someone here carry/owns a Walther PPS 9mm. It will be interesting to hear what you guys think about this pistol. The PPS’s size is almost like the Glock’s, but it is slim as the Kahr PM9.
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

I don't own one but a guy at work/his wife just bought a PPS. He said the recoil was very manageable. He was surprised. My wife is starting to look for a possible carry gun for the future and the PPS is on the list.

I have a PPS it is a great carry gun very manageable, sufficently accurate, easy to conceal (carry mine in a Minatour) over all nice carry piece. Also I have a PM 9 I consider it more of a pocket pistol.

jyo
    I have owned a PPS 9mm for about a year and a half now---mine has been reliable and runs with all 9mm ammo I have tried (FMJ, JHP and JHP+P 115 & 124 grain, I have not tried any 147 bullets)---the pistol is quite thin and shoots very close to point of aim after drifting the rear sight a touch to the right (still a little low @7 yards but not an issue for self-defense). The trigger is very "Glock-like" (lots of takeup followed by approx 6 lb release) and I use the small grip rear insert because the large makes the gun point a few degrees upward (like a Glock). I also own a Kahr CW-9 and find the two guns very comparable in size and function---I can recommend both---good luck with this.

I have a PPS in 9mm. It's been my primary CCW for over a year. I like it. It's very concealable. I either pocket carry with a thin desantis pocket holster or use a Crossbreed supertuck.

If you use the crossbreed with velcro clips and a belt with a velcro lining the holster and PPS are practically invisible. Though, I'd love to be able to carry my Kimber the same way I carry the PPS.

The PPS is very reliable at the range and the fit and finish just feels right to me.

I have to go along with the above posts, its a great gun, light, concealable, reliable, with managable recoil. I personally found the grips a bit to narrow for my hand and the interchangable grip insert always seemed to have a very slight movement to it. The one thing I could never get used to was the mag release being on the bottom of the trigger guard.

EdC
    Love mine, for all the reasons in the other posts. I use the small backstrap. I had mine a while before I put a Hogue grip sleeve on mine and it made a world of difference having something with a little "sticky" to it.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by theheater905 View Post
    The one thing I could never get used to was the mag release being on the bottom of the trigger guard.
    Great gun, horrible mag release.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

I have a PPS in 40, my EDC......but here is where I differ from others...my hands are not overly large so I use the ambi mag release with my trigger finger, very easy to use and I don't have to change my grip to reach a regular mag release like I do with mt other guns....really like it!
    "I would rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy!" - Dorothy Parker

I love mine!

Some people like the mag release, and some hate it. I love it. I am used to an H&K USP in .40 which has the release in a similar spot. I like the fact that I can just use my trigger finger to depress the mag release and not change my grip. I think the fit and finish of my PPS 9mm is fantastic and it conceals very well. I am only about 5' 9" and 165lbs, so concealing a double stack pistol is tough for me without wearing really baggy clothes. I have about 500 rounds through mine with out issue, and that includes about 100 rounds of various hollow points. The only draw back I see with it is the base plate of the magazine is a little chunky for carrying a spare mag, but you can cut the back of a spare 6rd floor plate to make it a little more snag proof. I like having the 8rd, 7rd and two 6rd mags and the different extended grips that come with those base plates. The only other thing that is a negative in my eye is the higher cost of extra mags, etc. It is my every day carry, so it won me over! I would recommend it for sure, but try and go try out as many pistols as possible and see what "fits" you best. There are a lot of great pistols on the market right now!

Quote Originally Posted by harley2007 View Post
    I have a PPS in 40, my EDC......but here is where I differ from others...my hands are not overly large so I use the ambi mag release with my trigger finger, very easy to use and I don't have to change my grip to reach a regular mag release like I do with mt other guns....really like it!

GM [OP]
    I forgot to mention in the OP that I was referring to a Glock 26; bad me. Since it will be a BUG size and weight are important; the candidates are Kahr PM9, Glock 26, Glock 36 and Walther PPS 9mm. I might have narrowed it to only three of them, but it still is a tough decision to make.

are you going to carry the pistol primarily as a bug? what is your primary? if it is already a glock, i would say stick with a g26 just to have the ability to swap mags. That is huge in my opinion.

You can think of the PPS as a Single Stack Glock 26.
    Exodus 22:2 "If a thief is caught breaking in and is struck so that he dies, the defender is not guilty of bloodshed"

GM [OP]
    Quote Originally Posted by RockStrongo View Post
    are you going to carry the pistol primarily as a bug? what is your primary? if it is already a glock, i would say stick with a g26 just to have the ability to swap mags. That is huge in my opinion.
    It will be my new BUG. My primary is a Browning HP 9mm. Right now my BUG is a Kahr MK9 Elite, but I will replace it.

Not trying to be rude, but is your friend. An advance search on PPS in thread title only revealed 128 threads with PPS in the title.

Hoss
    Sig 239 SAS 40 S&W / Sig 239 9mm / Kahr PM-9 / Walther PPS .40 / Sig P-245 / Ruger LCP
    Beretta Tomcat / Walther PPK / BDA 380 / Taurus 85 / Kel-Tec PF-9 / Am. Derringer 357

NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links