Smith & Wesson 340PD vs M&P 340

This is a discussion on Smith & Wesson 340PD vs M&P 340 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hi guys, I currently own a S&W 642 snubbie that the wife may be "stealing" soon and I am thinking of picking up an M&P ...

Thread: Smith & Wesson 340PD vs M&P 340

Smith & Wesson 340PD vs M&P 340

Hi guys,
    I currently own a S&W 642 snubbie that the wife may be "stealing" soon and I am thinking of picking up an M&P 340 Scandium framed J Frame as my new CCW. What is the difference between the 340 PD and the M&P 340? They look very similar to me at first glance, and I figured you guys could help me discern the differences quicker than I could research it. Thanks in advance for any insight you can provide.
    Glock 26 9mm CCW - - S&W 642 Super Tuned - - Remington 870 18.5" 12GA 6+1

2. Remove Ads

m&p is cheaper, better sights, no weight grain restrictions, and no titanium cylinder to take extra precautions with when cleaning. But it does weigh a little bit more than the 340pd
    Walk quietly and carry a big stick.

Big Larry covered it. Steel cylinder of M&P adds 2 more ounces and takes the weight up to just over 13 ounces from the PD's 11+ ounces. As mentioned, the titanium cylinder of the PD requires more care when cleaning.

I have the M&P, it does have the steel cylinder. My Friend has the PD with the Titanium cylinder. Mine weighs 2 oz more and you will need all the weight you can get. I also like the fact that my gun has the Big Dot triium standard on the front. Awesome lighweight carry gun. Get it.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

I'd get the M&P I've had one and loved it,I was forced to sell it due to finances. However when I went to my local shop to order another one they had a used LNIB 340PD with CT LG-405 laser grips.

The price on it was $580 OTD so I couldn't pass it up. I guess I'm saying I'd take the M&P if I had to chose between both new. The PD model is around $200-300 more because of the titanium cylinder,I figured for the price I got my PD for even if I spend the money to add the XS big dot sight I'm still coming out ahead.

I say get the M&P for the above stated reasons,you won't be sorry. Its a great EDC due to its lightweight,power and reliability.
    Snub nose revolvers,the original concealed carry guns.

M&P Over Another 642?

Thanks for all the great info guys. Based on what I have learned it seems like the M&P has the best sweet spot of weight/price/features when compared to the PD. However, I was wondering if you guys would choose an M&P over another 642? From what I have read, shooting .357 out of the M&P is pretty brutal. If I was primarily going to run .38 Special (+P) do you think the features of the M&P justify the price increase over simply buying another 642 (or 442)? Thanks.
    Glock 26 9mm CCW - - S&W 642 Super Tuned - - Remington 870 18.5" 12GA 6+1

I believe that the M&P is worth the extra money because of it extra features. Those being its much better sights,lighter weight,more durable finish and the option of shooting .357's.

I gotta say full power magnums are pretty bad but the mid-range defensive loads like speer's 135gr GD,remington 125gr. Golden sabers and such aren't THAT bad. I gotta be honest when I got my M&P I was almost afraid to shoot it,after reading all the horror stories on the forums about it hand breaking recoil.

I have to say I find the recoil of this gun to be greatly exaggerated. Also grips make a huge differance is felt recoil specially ones that cover the backstrap. Pacmayer and hogue both make such grips I'd say the hogues are slimmer and easier to poacket carry with.

I say give the M&P a try most guys that have them shoot mostly .38's from them so harm there. FWIW I used .357's in mine and could make good rapid shots COM at 7yrds no problem. If you go to the highroad.org there's a thread titled "M&P 340" and it everything you would want to know about these guns.
    Snub nose revolvers,the original concealed carry guns.

They are worth it. The recoil is stout on the 357. It is not unmanageable. practice with 38, then carry 357. Go for it.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Senior Member Array scgunlover1's Avatar
    I have the M&P 340. I love the Big Dot sights. As others have said the full house .357s are stout. I like mine so much I ain't parting with this thing. I have been looking at changing out the grips on it though. I believe the ones that came on it are Uncle Mikes if I'm not mistaken. Get the M&P you'll like it.
    SCGunLover1

The M&P 340 does not have Big Dot sights. It has the standard size XS front tritium sight.

Well it is an XS Tritium dot, and on that small a gun...trust me it looks like a BIG DOT.

VIP Member
    Personally I think the S&W M&P 340CT is the cream of the crop!

Just sayin'...

ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Quote Originally Posted by Thumper View Post
    Personally I think the S&W M&P 340CT is the cream of the crop!

Just sayin'...

Same setup I've got (different holster though) and I love it!
    BLONDIE: You may run the risks, my friend, but I do the cutting. If we cut down my percentage... cigar? Liable to interfere with my aim.

Links