your thoughts: trading am M1 Carbine for NIB Colt Officer?

This is a discussion on your thoughts: trading am M1 Carbine for NIB Colt Officer? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Folks--I'd like your thoughts here: I have an old WWII re-worked M1 Carbine--it is not in mint condition--seems to be a run-of-the-mill spruced up old ...

Distinguished Member Array Chaplain Scott's Avatar

Folks--I'd like your thoughts here:

I have an old WWII re-worked M1 Carbine--it is not in mint condition--seems to be a run-of-the-mill spruced up old M1. I have about 5 10 rd mags and one 20 rd mag with about 200 rds of ammo. I have a friend in church who has a NIB Colt series 80 Officers' model. When I mentioned the M1 his eyes lit up

I'm thinking straight trade. I have a 70's vintage Commander, and my EDC is a Kimber Ultra. I'd like the Officers as a second carry gun.

Thoughts on equity of a straight trade???

Thanks,

Scott
    Scott, US Army 1974-2004

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children what it was once like in the United States where men were free.
    - Ronald Reagan

IHS
    I owned one for a while, then I heard there had been problems with recoil spring plugs shearing, I traded it away. Not reliable for defensive carry, IMO.

There is a fix, however:

http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...l-upgrade.html

My wife and I wouldn't trade either of our M1 Carbines for anything, but that's just us.
    Samwolf

"One of the ordinary modes, by which tyrants accomplish their purposes without resistance, is, by disarming the people, and making it an offense to keep arms."

-- Supreme Court Justice Joseph Story, 1840

A shooter quality M1 Carbine is a decent general purpose close range tool. The Officer's Model is probably worth more - cash in hand. IHS commented on problems. Take that into consideration.

It boils down to what would serve you better? You're the one making the trade, so you're going to live with yourself if you live to regret the trade.
    Anyone Worth Shooting Is Worth Shooting Well
    Please take a look at my Blog: http://oldmanmontgomery.wordpress.com/

Yep if you get it trade out the plug for the para ordnance setup,My friend got one gifted from his dad who carried it on duty,after less than 200 rounds downrange the plug flew out never to be found again,It would of been really bad if it was a SD situation,
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

who knows--maybe the BG would have had TWO holes from one shot (one bullet and one plug)
    Scott, US Army 1974-2004

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children what it was once like in the United States where men were free.
    - Ronald Reagan

I personally would not do it....but you have to decide if its worth it to you.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

I'd be pretty reluctant to part with the M1 carbine if I was in your shoes, but it doesn't sound terrible unequal to me if the rifle is only in so-so condition. Just a matter of which gun will serve you better.

thanks for the thoughts guys. In the near future I will be buying a new Ruger ranch rifle to take the place of the M1 as a personal defense/general purpose high capactiy small caliber rifle. (but haven't told my wife yet, but pretty sure that she will be supportive)

While there is a great deal of general nostalgia around the M1 carbine, I prefer the reliability of the Ruger platform and increased performance of the 5.56/.223. over the whimpy .30 carbine.

So, for me, the M1 would be a safe queen, and I'd prefer another .45 as backup EDC.
    Scott, US Army 1974-2004

- Ronald Reagan

Links