Charles Daly Hi-Power Range Report

This is a discussion on Charles Daly Hi-Power Range Report within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I recently picked up a LNIB Charles Daly Hi-Power clone, and finally got out to the range with it today. This is my first Hi-Power, ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Charles Daly Hi-Power Range Report

Charles Daly Hi-Power Range Report

I recently picked up a LNIB Charles Daly Hi-Power clone, and finally got out to the range with it today. This is my first Hi-Power, and it certainly did not disappoint! The gun has steel Novak's on her, and I found them to be easy to use and they seem to fit the look of the gun well. Light recoil, more accurate than I am capable of shooting her, and a great trigger (no mag safety); what's not to like?

Winchester 147gr personal defense loads shot to point of aim, the lighter rounds were about 2 inches high at 10yds. Now I just need to find some more magazines.I've already started carrying her, anybody else carry a Hi-Power?
    WHEC724 and kahrcarrier like this.

2. Remove Ads

hbc
    Nice looking pistol. Enjoy.

Distinguished Member Array pirate's Avatar
    No other handgun feels as good in the hand as JMB's High Power.
    When I leave the home port:
    S&W 642 Airweight, Ruger SP 101, Colt Detective Spec., CZ RAMI, Kahr PM9, Kahr CW40, S&W Model 10-7, Glock 30, 19, and 26, Browning Hi Power, CZ82, Colt Commander, Dan Wesson PM7, Ruger LCP

jyo
    I carried a 1978 built Belgium Browning P35 for about 10 years until the boss said "no more single-action auto pistols" after another employee had a AD with a "home gunsmithed" 1911 .45 (took the safety off, followed by loud noise---nobody hurt)---I then switched to a Walther P5 9mm for a brief time and then carried an HK USP full-size 9mm which I favor to this day.

Quote Originally Posted by jomo04 View Post
    I recently picked up a LNIB Charles Daly Hi-Power clone, and finally got out to the range with it today. This is my first Hi-Power, and it certainly did not disappoint! The gun has steel Novak's on her, and I found them to be easy to use and they seem to fit the look of the gun well. Light recoil, more accurate than I am capable of shooting her, and a great trigger (no mag safety); what's not to like?

Winchester 147gr personal defense loads shot to point of aim, the lighter rounds were about 2 inches high at 10yds. Now I just need to find some more magazines.I've already started carrying her, anybody else carry a Hi-Power?
    I wasnt aware that Daly had a BHP clone. If you dont mind me asking what did you pay for it?
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

Yep, Daly made a Hi-Power clone, but sadly they are out of business as of January of this year. I probably gave more for it ($350) than it was worth, but the wood grips and Novak sights won me over. I really like how slim they are compared to the newer full-size pistols (Glock, etc.).

Yep, Daly made a Hi-Power clone, but sadly they are out of business as of January of this year. I probably gave more for it ($350) than it was worth, but the wood grips and Novak sights won me over. I really like how slim they are compared to the newer full-size pistols (Glock, etc.).
    If it functions well 350.00 seems plenty fair to me. I would have no issue paying that.
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

CD HP

I have a Charles Daly Hi-Power and a Browning Hi-Power. I paid about the same price. Mine came with XS big dot sights. Its a great pistol. It now has over 3,000 rounds down range. It shoots every bit as accurately as the Browning. You have a great bargain. Enjoy and shoot safe.

-- Richard
    "A gentleman will seldom, if ever, need a pistol. However, if he does, he needs it very badly!" -- Sir Winston Churchill

Distinguished Member Array pirate's Avatar
    The Charles Daly Hi Power frames as well as most parts and components were manufactured by FEG in Budapest, Hungary and only assembled here in the US. FEG is known to make some of the best HP clones. Charles Daly is (was) only basically an importer and rebadger of firearms not a manufacturer. If you go to their web site it lists where their guns are made.
    When I leave the home port:
    S&W 642 Airweight, Ruger SP 101, Colt Detective Spec., CZ RAMI, Kahr PM9, Kahr CW40, S&W Model 10-7, Glock 30, 19, and 26, Browning Hi Power, CZ82, Colt Commander, Dan Wesson PM7, Ruger LCP

The frame actually appears to be either imported as a casting and finished here, or cast here in the US and then finished, but I could be (and most likely am :) ) wrong. It was my understanding that Magnum Research handled the final machining/fitting and assembly of the Hi-Power clones for Charles Daly. I've compared my Charles Daly clone to my father-in-law's FEG Hi-Power clone, and the two do appear to be different both in their casting and their machining. Wish I knew somebody at Magnum Research that could confirm...
    Last edited by jomo04; February 28th, 2010 at 12:30 AM.

GM
    Congrats on the new beauty!
    I did not know that Charles Daly made a BHP clone! My primary carry is a BHP and I truly love that gun! IMO, the BHP and the 1911 are the best guns ever made. I am not familiar with the Daly Hi-Power, but let me tell you that a BHP is something totally amazing. You just made me realize that I “need” other gun. Bad you!
    tdave likes this.
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

Distinguished Member Array Colin's Avatar
    Charles Daly had a booth at SHOT show, are you sure they are out of business? I don't believe they have a Hi-power in their current lineup.

GM

BHP, it has been said about BHP and other wonderful pistols that "you need a pair and a spare"! I have a pair and i'm working on the spare.

-- Richard
    "A gentleman will seldom, if ever, need a pistol. However, if he does, he needs it very badly!" -- Sir Winston Churchill

Quote Originally Posted by GM View Post
    Congrats on the new beauty!
    I did not know that Charles Daly made a BHP clone! My primary carry is a BHP and I truly love that gun! IMO, the BHP and the 1911 are the best guns ever made. I am not familiar with the Daly Hi-Power, but let me tell you that a BHP is something totally amazing. You just made me realize that I “need” other gun. Bad you!
    The BHP still amazes me to this day. That thing is a tack driver.

You have a great looking 1911 there, congrats on the purchase!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links