A little review on the Gen 4 G22

This is a discussion on A little review on the Gen 4 G22 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I've been itching to try one for a while now and finally got a chance. My BIL bought one this week and invited a couple ...

Thread: A little review on the Gen 4 G22

A little review on the Gen 4 G22

I've been itching to try one for a while now and finally got a chance. My BIL bought one this week and invited a couple guys over to shoot it. We had some nasty weather today with wet snow falling all day. The first thing you notice after being in that stuff for 5 minutes is the RTF finish. Everything got covered with wet snow in minutes and that grip texture keeps it glued in your hand during drawing and firing. My G19 and my G30 didn't feel nearly as sure in the hand, nor did his buddy's USP. We tried the pistol with the 2 smaller inserts and all 3 of us liked the smallest the best. Even moreso when we wore gloves.
    Shooting it side by side with a Gen 2 G22, felt recoil seemed subdued. I wouldn't say it was substantially less but definately had less snap to it. It also seemed to have less torque during recoil when firing one hand & weak hand only.
    We didn't really do any accuracy testing, just stuck to 8" steel plates out to 20 yards. Accuracy was fine for that. Mag changes seemed a bit faster and MUCH easier with gloves on. Between the 3 of us, we put 260 rounds of WWB FMJ and Gold Dots through it without a bobble of any kind.
    It's a nice pistol and I will buy a Gen 4 sometime in the future. Either a 19 or a 34 or both, who knows. It's still very much a Glock and those that like them or are on the fence with them should give them a try. If you just don't like Glocks, I don't see them changing too many minds..
    "In a republic this rule ought to be observed: that the majority should not have the predominant power." -
    -- Marcus Tullius Cicero

2. Remove Ads

Do you have any pictures of the Gen4 with the smallest insert compared to a previous generation? I'm curious on how they compare.

I just bought a Gen3 with RTF and it's the best texture I've ever felt on a handgun.

Thanks for the review! I may in the future get one of the RTF Glocks, but I'm not entirely sold on the 4th generations yet. I love my Glocks each and every one 3rd generation. Specifically in the 4th generation G22, the recoil rod/spring system was specifically redesigned to mitigate issues seen with the 3rd generation G22s and rail attached lights/lasers possibly causing FTFs. I could see why the felt recoil would be different between the previous G22 models and the 4th generation G22. I think it's mainly a matter of harmonics and vibration. Glocks are after all hybrid pistols with the frame being totally made of polymer. Some concepts we don't fully understand, but of course.....Glock is and always has been on the cutting edge of technology, and over-engineered. The redesigned recoil system in the 4th gen G22 simply tells us that Glock is keeping the end user in mind, and to be totally reliable under any circumstances possible. Glock perfection? It's a phrase, a slogan, and not a word. Thing is, anything of this earth and made by humans will always be less than perfect, but Glock comes so close, it's hard to believe........and they are getting closer every day. What do you want when your life is on the line? A pistol, or a combat handgun? How many pistols do you know of that you can still shoot with a broken trigger spring? Glock.....it's what's for real.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Good to hear you liked the Gen 4 (and the RTF grip). I hear so much griping about the new Gen, which I feel is mostly resistance to change. Heck, we're not still driving Model Ts, are we?

Tokerblue--The smaller (standard) backstrap is built into the grip; the other two are added to increase grip size to med or large.

I've been sitting on the fence between a Gen 4 G22 (or G35) and a M&P .40. I want the versitility of having 9 mm and .357 Sig conversion barrels. I've "heard" the Gen 4 has some FTE issues with low-power ammo in 9mm and I'm waiting to see how that pans out. The Glock would be cheaper overall but not significantly so.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    Thanks for the review! I may in the future get one of the RTF Glocks, but I'm not entirely sold on the 4th generations yet. I love my Glocks each and every one 3rd generation. Specifically in the 4th generation G22, the recoil rod/spring system was specifically redesigned to mitigate issues seen with the 3rd generation G22s and rail attached lights/lasers possibly causing FTFs. I could see why the felt recoil would be different between the previous G22 models and the 4th generation G22. I think it's mainly a matter of harmonics and vibration. Glocks are after all hybrid pistols with the frame being totally made of polymer. Some concepts we don't fully understand, but of course.....Glock is and always has been on the cutting edge of technology, and over-engineered. The redesigned recoil system in the 4th gen G22 simply tells us that Glock is keeping the end user in mind, and to be totally reliable under any circumstances possible. Glock perfection? It's a phrase, a slogan, and not a word. Thing is, anything of this earth and made by humans will always be less than perfect, but Glock comes so close, it's hard to believe........and they are getting closer every day. What do you want when your life is on the line? A pistol, or a combat handgun? How many pistols do you know of that you can still shoot with a broken trigger spring? Glock.....it's what's for real.
    Yep, you can...we did that this week: Glock Armorer Course!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Thanks for the review. I don't have any "excess" money in the budget right now for a new toy, but maybe in the future a 4th may be on the list.

Retsupt, how did you like the class? I went in 2008. I thought that it was well done and very valuable. Plus, they give a pretty decent lunch. I know that you went right home and broke down all of your Glocks. LOL, that is what I did.
    Police Defensive Tactics, Firearms, Carbine Rifle and Taser Instructor
    Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member
    It is better to have your gun and not need it, than to need it and not have it!
    You cannot choose the conditions for a gunfight, so train in all conditions!

Quote Originally Posted by tokerblue View Post
    Do you have any pictures of the Gen4 with the smallest insert compared to a previous generation? I'm curious on how they compare.

I just bought a Gen3 with RTF and it's the best texture I've ever felt on a handgun.
    No pics but I'm sure there are some on the net. The smallest insert isn't an insert at all, it's the grip frame itself. My too tired post from last night wasn't real clear on that. The backstraps that come with it are added over the frame. All 3 of us liked the smallest insert (no insert) best overall but that might have been because of conditions and using gloves after a few minutes out there.
    "In a republic this rule ought to be observed: that the majority should not have the predominant power." -
    -- Marcus Tullius Cicero

Quote Originally Posted by NY27 View Post
    Thanks for the review. I don't have any "excess" money in the budget right now for a new toy, but maybe in the future a 4th may be on the list.

Retsupt, how did you like the class? I went in 2008. I thought that it was well done and very valuable. Plus, they give a pretty decent lunch. I know that you went right home and broke down all of your Glocks. LOL, that is what I did.
    The class was well worth my time and money. I'm anything BUT an expert, but I now have a much better understanding on how and why the Glock works, and I can strip it right down the last spring.
    I would take the class again, just to learn a 'second time'.
    Glocks !
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    Tokerblue--The smaller (standard) backstrap is built into the grip; the other two are added to increase grip size to med or large.
    Quote Originally Posted by kpw View Post
    No pics but I'm sure there are some on the net. The smallest insert isn't an insert at all, it's the grip frame itself. My too tired post from last night wasn't real clear on that. The backstraps that come with it are added over the frame.
    - Thanks. I guess there are people out there with very large hands. The Glock grip is quite thick already.

VIP Member
    Good review. Thanks for taking the time.
    "Mind own business"
    "Always cut cards"

Distinguished Member Array GWRedDragon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    How many pistols do you know of that you can still shoot with a broken trigger spring? Glock.....it's what's for real.
    A guy carrying an old SAA did exactly this in a SD situation here awhile back...saved a bunch of people.

Just goes to show you never know what stupid stuff will go wrong when you most need everything to go right.

Now if only they would make a single stack Glock!
    "Trust in God with hand on sword" -Inscription on my family's coat of arms from medieval England
    ---Carry options: G26/MTAC, PF9/MiniTuck, PPK/Pocket, USP40/OWB---
    ---NOTE: I am not an expert. If I ever start acting like a know-it-all, please call me on it immediately. ---

Haven't fired one, but did get to handle a G22. I can actually manipulate the mag release w/o adjusting my grip - I have an extended mag release on my G23, but still no joy. May have to pick one up someday.

Links