Walther PPS: Warning!

This is a discussion on Walther PPS: Warning! within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; The PPS has a removable backstrap that disables the gun when it's removed. Mine fell off while shooting it. I put a Hogue grip on ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Walther PPS: Warning!

Walther PPS: Warning!

The PPS has a removable backstrap that disables the gun when it's removed. Mine fell off while shooting it. I put a Hogue grip on it to make sure it didn't happen again, but when the backstrap was off, I noticed that the lever that disables the gun sticks into the backstrap between two pieces of plastic and if one or both should break off, it would disable the gun and you wouldn't even know it till you went to use it. BAD THING TO HAPPEN IN AN EMERGENCY.
    This is a very bad design flaw on the part of Walther engineers.
    You can read about all the problems with this gun at the site below:

PPS Owners Forum

BTW: Mine was the newer edition.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    You most likely did not have the back strap properly aligned with the dots when installing and tried to force it into position. This is not uncommon but not a design flaw.
    If you understand, things are just as they are... If you do not understand, things are just as they are....
    - Zen Saying

Quote Originally Posted by SIGP250 View Post
    You most likely did not have the back strap properly aligned with the dots when installing and tried to force it into position. This is not uncommon but not a design flaw.
    I had it perfectly aligned. It looked like the tab that holds the backstrap didn't have enough tension.

This is a known issue:

Go to PPS Talk: PPS Owners Forum

and do a search for "backstrap" and start reading.
    Keep yours if you wish. I didn't feel safe carrying a gun that would disable in this way.

Yea that was all speculation on that site. I don't think anyone actually had one break. Now if I am wrong please point me to a direct thread where someone had one fall off/break, not to the home page of a site.

I did a search on Backstrap and nothing popped out to me. Please direct me.

I think that it was people being worried for nothing. I'll continue to carry mine.

I'm not trying to flame anyone, but after my backstrap came off and reading other peoples opinions about it, I just lost faith in mine.
    I also thought the tab that holds the backstrap in place was not made well and the tabs in the backstrap that hold the decocker in place seemed rather small.

Look Here: http: //ppstalk.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=243&SearchTerms=backstrap
    and scroll down to the second to the last post. Apparantly some have had the backstrap wear out.

I have a lot more confidence in the gun I now carry.
    Anyone can carry whatever they want; it's their life.
    Last edited by agksimon; February 28th, 2010 at 08:11 AM. Reason: Changes

2 years, daily carry, 3000+ rounds - not an issue. I have read that it has happened but extremely rarely. Even Glocks have some issues. All thing mechanical will have a issue. I will need more 1st hand data to make a decision not to carry or use.
    "Being PARANOID is just plain smart thinking when they are really out to get you!"

This was the only thing I wish they had changed when they made the gun. Mine never had a problem with it, but it seemed like a lot of unnecessary pieces to add to a firearm.

VIP Member
    I was a little skeptical about the grip strap as well....my fix was to install a Limb Saver grip sleeve....problem solved...........cg
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.-Seneca

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. If I have a gun, what do I have to be paranoid about?" -Clint Smith

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Jeff Cooper

Thanks for the info. I appreciate people sharing their observations with their firearms. The fact that yours fell off while firing seems to indicate a first-hand account to me and not speculation. At least it gives people something to look at or think about if they own one or are looking to buy one...and if they don't want to consider it as a potential issue, they are welcome to give it no thought.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

I don't see how the back strap could fall off while firing. It is captured on both ends. Unless your modifying the magazine.

Lead Moderator
    How did yours fall off? broken part? Any idea?
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

I had ordered a third magazine that had a little more gap above the floorplate than the two that came with the gun and that's the one it happened with. The retainer tab at the bottom that holds the backstrap in just never seemed to grab the small backstrap very well. It didn't actually fall on the ground; it came loose in place and the top of the backstrap that slides into the frame didn't have much of a lip on it to secure it. The larger backstap seemed to fit in place better, but the smaller one fit my hand better. At that point, I started reading about others having the problem and decided I no longer had confidence in the gun and traded it in.
    I still have a Walther P-22 and absolutely love it and my daugter has one also and carries it for CCW; though I feel it's underpowered even with Stingers, she feels confortable with it.

Distinguished Member Array Siafu's Avatar
    I have taken my back strap off and put it back on hundreds of times. As long as you do it right there is no chance of damaging tabs.

JB Weld. That way it will never fall off!

Here's an animation showing the Mechanism.
    Walther PPS - Entspannfunktion

My backstrap is very solid and there is not enough gap between it and my mags to allow excess movment.

You need to send your mags back there should not be that much of a gap. And the teeth on the baseplate should go into the backstrap.

If you watch the animation the backstrap has to move down a bit before it can move outwards. So there is something not normal about your gun. Send it in.
    Last edited by dsee11789; February 28th, 2010 at 07:36 PM.
    Exodus 22:2 "If a thief is caught breaking in and is struck so that he dies, the defender is not guilty of bloodshed"

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links