G19 and a PM9

G19 and a PM9

This is a discussion on G19 and a PM9 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My current EDC is a G19 and I am thinking about getting a Kahr for summer carry or when I need to be more descrete. ...

Thread: G19 and a PM9

G19 and a PM9

My current EDC is a G19 and I am thinking about getting a Kahr for summer carry or when I need to be more descrete.

I am debating between the P9 and the PM9.

I would love to hear from folks that carry a Glock and any of the Kahr's on holster choices, carry methods, thoughts about the Kahr et cetera.

As a point of discussion I carry the Glock in an Mtac and would likely get one for a Kahr too, but I would also like to hear, non-uncle mikes, pocket carry suggestions.

The Kahr P9 is one of themost natural feeling 9mm I have ever handled. That being said. The PM9 is a great pocket gun, and would be much more discreet on the belt or in the pocket. I would go for either but if you want to arry in your pocket for summer time, I would go for the PM9.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

EW3
    Compared to the Glock, the P9 or PM9 will feel flat as a pancake.

I owned the all-steel MK9 and it concealed just great in a Crossbreed Supertuck, similiar to the MTAC, but traded it as I found it just a bit too heavy for only 6+1. I've heard of people doing the pocket carry thing with the MK9 with a Nemesis pocket holster.

The polymer Kahrs are much lighter and the DAO on them is one of the best DAO triggers you'll ever see. Nice and smooth and not too heavy.
    "Naked and Starving as They are We Cannot Enough Admire the Incomparable Patience and Fidelity of the Soldiery" – George Washington, Valley Forge, 1777.

Whitch ever one you choose, Practice,Practice & more Practice untill your as good as the G-19 ; )
    H/D
    A Native Floridian = RARE

IT'S OUR RIGHTS>THEY WANT TO WRONG
    H/D

The Kahr PM9 is the best of its kind on the market, IMO. Amazingly accurate, for such a little thing. With practice, it might turn out to be as accurate as most other 9mm's you're used to. While you'll hear of numerous instances of people having reliability troubles with them, many have the PM9 and love it. It rides fairly flat against the body. With the slim holster designed with the curve in mind, a PM9 can completely disappear.

Word to the wise: be prepared to send 750-1000rds through it, and to find the gun's "preferred" ammo, prior to carrying. Once you prove its reliability, then it should be fine.

I had a PM9 myself. Ended up having to send it back to Kahr until it was cured of its failures to cycle properly (failure to feed [nose down], failure to eject, stovepipes, second jammed under the first). Even though cured, I had simply lost confidence in it and thus sold it. Though, there aren't any good alternatives to the PM9 on the market, yet, so I will likely get one in the future. That is, unless the upcoming Boberg XR9-S 9mm proves to be highly reliable. That one might well turn my head from the PM9. We'll see.

The larger Kahr P9 fits my hand probably the best of any firearm made. But, being as large and heavy as it is, in my opinion there are better options on the market. Still, they're known to be reliable, durable, with amazing ergonomics. Won't slip into the pocket, no, but it's perfect for IWB or OWB. If it fits well ...
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Administrator
    I've had my PM9 for a long time now, 7 years I guess. Its a great little gun, but as with all micro guns it can be fickle. You must learn how to run it right. The P9 is a little less so, but, it still has some quirks you will need to learn. The PM9 does pocket carry well, I don't see a P9 doing that well at all.

For a pocket holster, I can't say enough good things about Mika. Its simple, effective and inexpensive. What more can you ask for?
    "Just blame Sixto"

Mic
    Timid people sleep peacefully at night because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Molôn Labé!

Here is a pic to show you the size differences between a G19, a K9/P9 (in the pic is a K9) and a MK9/PM9 (threw in a LCP for size comparison to the PM9). The second pic shows the size difference between a K9/P9 and a MK9/PM9. I carry my G19 and K9 in Comp-Tac Pro Undercover Kydex IWB holsters and carry my PM9 and LCP in DeSantis Nemesis pocket holsters. Like already mentioned, if you have no plans to pocket carry the Kahr, then I would suggest the P9 (you will have a better purchase grip while carrying IWB, than you would a PM9), but if you think you will want to pocket carry it as well as IWB carry it, then get the PM9 (the P9 is too big for pocket carry IMHO). Hope this helps some.

AZ that has to be one of the best comparison pictures I've seen to date!
    Better to die on your feet, than to live on your knees.

Thanks.

I own a Glock 19 and 27 (for another month). I also own the Kahr MK9, PM9 and P380. The weight difference between the PM9 and P9 is only about an ounce. As others have mentioned, Kahrs are VERY thin. If you can conceal it comfortably, the P9 is a better gun. It can carry one more round and is a little less fickle than the PM9. I was actually going to get a P9 to replace my MK9 (too heavy), but there were no stores around me with the DLC finish, so I went with the PM9.

I added a Crimson Trace LG-437 and I can shoot very tight groups at 50'. Not much more I could ask for.
    http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...ge-report.html

Distinguished Member Array pirate's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    The Kahr PM9 is the best of its kind on the market, IMO. Amazingly accurate, for such a little thing. With practice, it might turn out to be as accurate as most other 9mm's you're used to.
    I agree, and the PM 9 while light and small shoots like a much larger handgun. I also own a G19 and both are exceptional carry guns. I carry the PM9 (with CT laserguard) in a Crossbreed Mini Tuck or a pocket holster. I have had zero issues with my PM9 to date.

When I leave the home port:
    S&W 642 Airweight, Ruger SP 101, Colt Detective Spec., CZ RAMI, Kahr PM9, Kahr CW40, S&W Model 10-7, Glock 30, 19, and 26, Browning Hi Power, CZ82, Colt Commander, Dan Wesson PM7, Ruger LCP

Sponsored Links