Glock 22 Issues at the Range

This is a discussion on Glock 22 Issues at the Range within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I had made a prior post about a modified Glock 22, gen 2, my father picked up at a pawn shop a couple weeks ago. ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Glock 22 Issues at the Range

I had made a prior post about a modified Glock 22, gen 2, my father picked up at a pawn shop a couple weeks ago.
    http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...ger-guard.html

We finally got together to try it out at the range today, and had several FTF occurances with Federal FMJ (Wal-Mart), Blazer, and Winchester PDX1. I had 2 casings fail to extract from the chamber even though they were quite loose and I had 2 jams where they did not feed properly and were jammed against the edge of the ramp (the PDX1 hollow tips did this) My father had 2 FTF. So that's 6 FTF in about 100 rounds.

I don't think its from limp wristing. I ran 150 total of the 3 kinds through my Glock 27 and had no issues as usual. He fired some too and no FTF's for him either.

Being that it was modified for the laser system mentioned in the above thread, does anyone know if Glock will decline to check it out if we stop by their facility in Smyrna?
    Glock 22 (G2) & 27 (G3)
    S&W 686 .357 4" Stainless Pre-lock
    Ruger 10/22
    Marlin Model 65 .22LR - 1968
    Remington Model 31 16ga - 1932
    Remington 1900 12ga - 1904

Quote Originally Posted by Biomortis View Post
    I had made a prior post about a modified Glock 22, gen 2, my father picked up at a pawn shop a couple weeks ago.
    http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...ger-guard.html

We finally got together to try it out at the range today, and had several FTF occurances with Federal FMJ (Wal-Mart), Blazer, and Winchester PDX1. I had 2 casings fail to extract from the chamber even though they were quite loose and I had 2 jams where they did not feed properly and were jammed against the edge of the ramp (the PDX1 hollow tips did this) My father had 2 FTF. So that's 6 FTF in about 100 rounds.

I don't think its from limp wristing. I ran 150 total of the 3 kinds through my Glock 27 and had no issues as usual. He fired some too and no FTF's for him either.

Being that it was modified for the laser system mentioned in the above thread, does anyone know if Glock will decline to check it out if we stop by their facility in Smyrna?
    I'm sure that they will check it out for you.

But when you start making aftermarket changes to a Glock, you're asking for difficulties in basic function...depending upon the change.OMOYMV
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

change the extractor, rod & spring. also, change magazine springs. very easy to do.

glockparts.com has them cheap. good folks to deal with too.

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    I doubt there will be a problem with the modified trigger guard as that doesn't affect function.

Sounds like a spring problem somewhere, mag or recoil (or both).
    The G22 did have a feed problem with a light mounted, which is part of the reason the Gen 4 has a dual recoil spring. I'm sure the company will straighten it out.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

VIP Member
    A. It's a GLOCK - they will check it out. No problem.

B. IIRC it is an older gun. Ditto on the spring issue. This is the most likely problem and SHOULD fix it. Don't forget the extractor!

Good luck.
    If you have never broken your gun or bled on your gun in training, you're doing it wrong!
    Train hard, live easy.

Thanks for the tips. Hopefully we're going to be able to get out to Smyrna pretty soon. If not, I'll take a chance and order the parts.
    Glock 22 (G2) & 27 (G3)
    Ruger 10/22

One more symptom. I'm sitting here with it field stripped, and there are tons of little metal scraps from bullets. I cleaned it before we went to the range so I knows its from this weekend. No such shards in my G27 so it wasn't lousy ammo.
    Glock 22 (G2) & 27 (G3)
    Ruger 10/22

Hi there. Are you using a tactical light with the G22? I myself just bought a G22, and was reading a whole lot of stuff on (irrelevant issues) and contacted an industry professional, who told me that the Glock 22 3rd generation and before had been having a a lot of issues with Failure to Fire when being used in conjunction with tactical lights and lasers.

He gave me the following links to threads to do further reading. All of these (I have not read everything are filled with accounts of Glock 22 owning LE departments not just having FTF issues with the G22 but also with having unbelievable difficulties trying to communicate to Glock, Inc. regarding their problems.

Just some further reading for you. I hope you are able to get some good information from Glock when you contact them.

M-

The links:

Lightfighter Forum - Powered by Social Strata

10-8 Forums: Glock/X200 issues
    People who like this sort of thing will find this the sort of thing they like.
    - Abraham Lincoln

A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject.
    - Winston Churchill

No light Merischino. This G22 does not have the accessories rail. Thanks for the thought though. It could have certainly been a cause if it had applied.
    Glock 22 (G2) & 27 (G3)
    Ruger 10/22

it could be limp wristing. yes i know you said you did not have any problems with the g27, but you will hold the g27 different than the g22. could be a weak mag spring. could be a dirty mag. could be a dirty barrel and extractor area. clean it good. brake down the mags and clean them inside real good. glock will check it out for you and will change all small parts for free. i have stopped by myself and they have done several for me. but clean the inside of your mag, this will help.

i know you don't have a rail on your glock, but for the tactical lights statements that is going on here. the problem that glock had with the g22 with tactical lights having ftf was a problem with the mag springs. glock replaced the mag springs with a longer mag spring. this stopped the problem. how do i know this? we were having problems with all our g22 and tact lights. so glock sent new mag springs, problem solved. over the years the only weak link that i have seen with glocks are the mags.
    An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Red State State of Mind

Sure frankmako, it could be limp wristing, that always a possibility. It is unlikely though. As far as grip goes, I actually use a pinky extension on my G27 so the grip isn't that different.

I am more inclined to go with weak mag springs, or the other worn parts as suggested above. Being that he only has one full 15 rd mag, we're going to get some new ones anyways.
    Glock 22 (G2) & 27 (G3)
    Ruger 10/22

Distinguished Member Array razor02097's Avatar
    say it aint so! A Glock with issues?

emmm.. yeah I don't think Glock will care about the mods. They will most likely still work on it.
    There is something about firing 4,200 thirty millimeter rounds/min that makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

Administrator
    I'll weigh in...

Since the Glock has obvious exterior modification, I'll bet a box of donuts that it has some amateur interior modifications as well. Who knows what was done to that gun. I've seen a lot of crazy stuff done to Glocks over the years.
    But, the sliver lining is, Glocks are easy to work on and parts are cheap. I'd do a complete rebuild, starting with new magazines.

Also, Glock will not allow you in its Smyrna facility. They do not accept "walk ins". Unless they have changed recently, they are very strict about this. You will have to send it in if you want Glock to work on it.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Distinguished Member Array Rexster's Avatar
    Amen to the spring replacement! This is a good first step for ALL pre-owned autopistols. Buy factory stock replacement springs.

In my Glock days, I bought a tricked-out pre-owned G29. Malf-malf-malf. I installed stock springs, and it became 100% reliable.

Regarding the G22 specifically, a local armorer advised me (in early 2002) that G22 factory magazine springs were too weak, and should be replaced with high-quality aftermarket springs. This cured one of my G22 pistols of being a drama queen. (occasional failures-to-feed) Shortly thereafter, Glock themselves upped the spring weight of their factory G22 magazine springs, proving the armorer right.

Biomortis, I just went out and shot about 130 rounds through my own new-ish G22 and had one FTF myself.

This was the first time I'd ever used my new non-Glock uber hi cap magazine (33 rounds). I had heard that these huge magazines were reputed to have FTF problems and I certainly found that to be true quicker than I'd have liked.

That said, I had only the one FTF from that entire magazine (about 30 rounds) and thus do not know necessarily that the problem was due to the magazine. I just have good reason to believe that to be the case.

Have about 750 rounds through the G22 now. In that time I seem to have loosened the very tight springs on my 2 15 round mags. Now I'm able to load them by hand much easier/less painfully than in the beginning. The 33 rd. capacity mag, however, has springs so dang tight that even using 3 different varieties of auto loaders does not make loading the sucker any much easier. Possibly the too-tight spring mag problem rather than too loose? Just a thought.

M-
    Last edited by merischino; March 5th, 2010 at 11:30 PM. Reason: tone down my word choice a teensy bit
    People who like this sort of thing will find this the sort of thing they like.
    - Abraham Lincoln

A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject.
    - Winston Churchill

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links