17HMR for self defense? - Page 2

17HMR for self defense?

This is a discussion on 17HMR for self defense? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; No....

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: 17HMR for self defense?

No.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Zaria View Post
    USMC Rules of Gunfighting Rule # 24: Do not attend a gunfight with a handgun, the caliber of which does not start with a ".4" (I suggest appending, "or ends with Magnum")

Save the birdshot, .410 revolvers, .17 HMR, Etc... for small game. That's what they're made for.

The smallest caliber I'd trust my life to is 9mm in a semi or .38spcl in a wheelgun, and only with modern JHP ammo. I'm not confident in the ability of anything smaller to stop a 230 pound gangster on PCP or steroids (which I hope I'll never run into, but preparedness is good).

Peace,
    Pete Zaria.
    Very wise words, my sentiments exactly
    Led By Love Of Country

Think of this round as a laser beam because that is exactly what its going to do. Fly very fast, very straight, and burn a hole right through pretty much everything within reason... including your BG leaving a small hole with little to non-existent expansion which means no wound cavity which means BG keeps coming and the bullet will over penetrate into the little 'ol lady crossing the street. 17HMR for defense, a no go. Use it for target practice and varmint hunting, nothing else.

Find yourself a nice .38 and work up from there.OMO
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by searcher 45 View Post
    checkout this website about shooting ballistic gel with a 17HMR note this was shot from a rifle barrel and did not give much penetration.

17 grain Federal V-MAX
    Well, I've never actually seen a balistic gel in the wild, or been attacked by one, so I usually take gel tests with a grain of salt. But, that round sure didn't do much.

I've seen and heard horror stories of perps being shot multiple times with good SD guns and ammo and act like they aren't even hit til they finally drop from blood loss etc.If your being attacked by mighty mouse then maybe the 17 hmr,but human sized targets need manstoppers,For HD get a 12 gauge with buckshot
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Quote Originally Posted by claybreaker0 View Post
    ... 8 shot 17HMR revolver ... for self defense?
    .17 HMR specs show a 20gr bullet at 2350 fps and 250 ft·lbf.

That's roughly similar "force" as a .380 ACP, though at over twice the velocity and with a smaller hole. Uncertain what the difference would be in terms of the shock/cavity impacts. I'd bet it would cause a real mess, internally, but it would also likely take quite a bit of time for a violent attacker to stop being violent ... which is the point of the exercise.

Unless clearer data becomes available, I wouldn't use it for my own defense, no.

Chambered in .327 Federal Magnum, the 6rd Ruger .327 mag seems a reasonable option for self defense, if you're considering revolvers. Though, if .327 catches your eye, why not simply do .357 mag? It's available, well understood, and has a long and proven track record of good performance when it matters. If doing a revolver, a .357 mag would be my choice.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Quote Originally Posted by TX-JB View Post
    As a fun gun I'll bet it's a blast to shoot... but I'll pass on it for SD usage...
    Me too!
    USMC 1984-1992
    To err is human.
    To forgive is divine.
    Neither of which is Marine Corps policy.

"It's all about shot placement."- David (Slayer of Goliath)

Quote Originally Posted by Avenger View Post
    Think of this round as a laser beam because that is exactly what its going to do. Fly very fast, very straight, and burn a hole right through pretty much everything within reason... including your BG leaving a small hole with little to non-existent expansion which means no wound cavity which means BG keeps coming and the bullet will over penetrate into the little 'ol lady crossing the street. 17HMR for defense, a no go. Use it for target practice and varmint hunting, nothing else.
    You wouldn't have to worry about an 17HMR rounds overpenetrating (other than FMJ which will punch through 3/16" steel), the Vmax and XTPs can't even make it though a bird/rodent, they expand very quickly and violently.. I'd certainly take a 17HMR 20gr XTP over a .22 for SD but I'll stick to my .40s...
    "You can't stop insane people from doing insane things by passing insane laws."-Penn Jillette

Cool .17 hmr

The .17HMR is a nasty round, most people don't even realize that it is a .17 caliber bullet harnessed on a 22 magnum cartridge! All that power pushing a round 2400-2600 fps has a devastating effect on targets. Not to mention the TNT rounds readily available for the .17 and the tumbling effect the bullet has upon impact. Is it a good SD round? Yes, in my opinion! A few shots at a quarter inch grouping of this nasty round would stop anything short of a Horse after unloading all your rounds. Plus you can have more accuracy from further away to make crucial shots if thats the scenario. But don't get me wrong my first choice of hand gun would be a 10mm or F&N 5-7 loaded with elite ammunition!

in a handgun/revolver, i'd rather have a 22LR high velocity. in a rifle, i'd take the 17 HMR.

claybreaker0, if you want a 17 HMR revolver to play w/, then go ahead and buy it. BUT, DON'T try and make it into a self defense gun. A few months ago I went on a ground squirrel hunt in northern CA. The majority of the shots taken by our party of 4 was done w/ the 17 HMR. We went through probably close to 1500 rounds. My observation....... it is a FINE small game, rodent round, but I wouldn't recommend using it for SD except as a last resort. In a rifle, I'd expect the wound on a person to be superficial without significant penetration. In a pistol, the round would lose a lot of velocity, so it might penetrate slightly deeper, but would probably still make on a superficial wound. The jackets on these rounds are very thin. Someone mentioned that CCI makes w/ the Speer TNT bullet. You can guess what the abbreviation stands for, and it ain't deep penetration. Of course, a FMJ 17 HMR would probably penetrate a little deeper than the other bullets, but I doubt it would be much deeper. Plus, we haven't even mentioned that rimfire ammo is not normally as reliable ignition wise as is centerfire ammo.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links