17HMR for self defense?

This is a discussion on 17HMR for self defense? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So I was just bopping around to different websites, looking at revolvers because I don't have one yet, and I came across an 8 shot ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: 17HMR for self defense?

17HMR for self defense?

So I was just bopping around to different websites, looking at revolvers because I don't have one yet, and I came across an 8 shot 17HMR revolver that Taurus makes. Seems like it would be a fun gun, but for self defense? Um.......
    "Being armed gives you options"

Kimber Pro Carry II; S&W M&P; S&W M&P9c; Walther PPS: Ruger SP101 357: Kahr P380 w/ CT; NAA 22mag; Rock River AR-15; NEF Pardner Pump; Benelli Nova

2. Remove Ads

It's better than nothing, I suppose. But I can't imagine anybody recommending it as a good idea.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Sure, as long as you back it up with a BB gun.
    9mmHP likes this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

checkout this website about shooting ballistic gel with a 17HMR note this was shot from a rifle barrel and did not give much penetration.

17 grain Federal V-MAX
    NOT LIVING IN FEAR, JUST READY!!!
    I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness,
    nor the arrow for its swiftness,
    nor the warrior for his glory.
    I love only that which they defend.
    -J.R.R. Tolkien

Distinguished Member
    What's the matter??? Are you having problems with those pesky pigeons trying to drop on you????

Far better tools in the tool barn.

Z
    An ounce of lead is worth 200lbs of cop.

Small projectile with a ton of velocity. I wouldn't want to get shot with one, but I would think the relatively short barrel of a revolver would diminish the high velocity characteristics of the 17HMR. No expansion capabilities, small wound channel, and possible over penetration. More negatives than positives to me, but I'm not a ballistics expert. Too many better SD rounds and weapons out there. Does the site explain the thought behind it? Is the design intended for SD?
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

The little 17HMR Vmax is devastating..... Out of a rifle. Out of a handgun, probably not so much, either way, .380 is minimum IMO. Leave the HMR to critters/target shooting..

Here's a picture of a 17HMR wound to someones leg, point blank, 17gr Vmax from a rifle...

Warning, this is graphic..

http://pirate4x4.com/forum/attachmen...1&d=1265951301
    "You can't stop insane people from doing insane things by passing insane laws."-Penn Jillette

VIP Member
    As a fun gun I'll bet it's a blast to shoot... but I'll pass on it for SD usage...
    "Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas!".... Sam Houston

Retired LEO
    Firearms Instructor
    NRA Life Member

no, not nearly enough penetration... do yourself a experiment....take a milk jug...even a soda(2 liter or what ever) jug and shoot it with a .17 hmr and give me the results....I did this and know the results. its not ballistic gel but it will give you a idea...honestly I am envisioning a nasty shallow wound about 2-3" deep but not a "kill....

http://www.artifex.ws/hummer.html

the bullet didnt even go through the bottle it went through the front wall of the bottle and then fragmented/blew up without exiting the back of the bottle those were recovered inside the bottom of the bottle....the red part in the middle is the plastic ballistic tip

to me this would indicate a very devastating round for smaller woodchuck,ground squirrel,prairie dog type animals but not so much for a human....probably a Nasty wound but no kill...obviously I dont know. ive never shot anyone with one :)

Quote Originally Posted by HahnsXD View Post
    The little 17HMR Vmax is devastating..... Out of a rifle. Out of a handgun, probably not so much, either way, .380 is minimum IMO. Leave the HMR to critters/target shooting..

Here's a picture of a 17HMR wound to someones leg, point blank, 17gr Vmax from a rifle...

about what I expected...enough to look nasty and POSSIBLY take the fight out of someone but with a dead on determined attacker, someone in a jacket or thick clothes a fat person or a person on drugs...probably just make them REAL mad.

All of your posts are exactly what I was thinking myself. So why make this revolver? A fun gun to shoot, or maybe for a child to learn on....but if thats the case, 22lr is less expensive...
    "Being armed gives you options"

Kimber Pro Carry II; S&W M&P; S&W M&P9c; Walther PPS: Ruger SP101 357: Kahr P380 w/ CT; NAA 22mag; Rock River AR-15; NEF Pardner Pump; Benelli Nova

Quote Originally Posted by HahnsXD View Post

I agree out of a rifle its devastating a freakin laser beam i enjoy shooting my Savage a would not hesitate to take a Coyote with it Ive seen pics of 250lb hogs taken with it , I would say could easily take a deer but ethically wouldnt do it. In hand gun dont know much about.. V-MAX kick ButtIts mainly rabbits to coyotes.
    "If you want peace, prepare for war." Si vis pacem, para bellum.

Old Paratroopers never die , we just regroup!!
    82nd ABN DIV.. GOD Bless our Troops!!
    Foward Observer 3/505thPIR - A/319thAFAR
    87-91 "Just Cause - Desert Sheild/Storm"

Distinguished Member Array razor02097's Avatar
    I agree with the above... 17HMR is a wonderful rifle round but maybe get a .22mag or higher for self defense instead.
    There is something about firing 4,200 thirty millimeter rounds/min that makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

USMC Rules of Gunfighting Rule # 24: Do not attend a gunfight with a handgun, the caliber of which does not start with a ".4" (I suggest appending, "or ends with Magnum")

Save the birdshot, .410 revolvers, .17 HMR, Etc... for small game. That's what they're made for.

The smallest caliber I'd trust my life to is 9mm in a semi or .38spcl in a wheelgun, and only with modern JHP ammo. I'm not confident in the ability of anything smaller to stop a 230 pound gangster on PCP or steroids (which I hope I'll never run into, but preparedness is good).

Peace,
    Pete Zaria.
    Last edited by Pete Zaria; March 3rd, 2010 at 03:18 PM. Reason: correct typo
    Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has.
    - Margaret Mead

"Booger Hook Off the Bang Switch" - unknown

Senior Member Array Sportsterguy's Avatar
    The least powerful weapon I carry is my old .38 S&W model 36. I just swapped to a stainless Colt Combat Commander in .45 ACP, my all time favorite SD caliber and platform as my EDC weapon.

I'd never carry a .17 for defending my life when there are much better choices in self defense ammo available. The .17 is great on taking out groundhogs but your chances of being attacked by one are very unlikely :-).
    Sportsterguy-NRA Life Member

Molon Labe!

Join the NRA today, or don't complain when your guns are taken away!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links