S&W 442 vs Ruger LCR

This is a discussion on S&W 442 vs Ruger LCR within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Just did some measuring on the 442 and LCR and low and behold they are almost identical twins. Length 442--6.325" ,,,,,,,LCR--6.5" Width 442--1.30" ,,,,,,,,LCR--1.28" Barrel ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: S&W 442 vs Ruger LCR

S&W 442 vs Ruger LCR

Just did some measuring on the 442 and LCR and low and behold they are almost identical twins.

Length 442--6.325" ,,,,,,,LCR--6.5"
    Width 442--1.30" ,,,,,,,,LCR--1.28"
    Barrel 442--1.875",,,,,,,,LCR--1.875"
    Heigth 442--4.25" ,,,,,,,,LCR--4.5"
    Weight 442--15oz ,,,,,,,,,LCR--13.5oz

Other than 1 1/2ozs of weight the 442 is a little smaller than the LCR but essentially they are twins. Both are from great manufacturers of pistols but the LCR is nothing new just a copy of an existing design. I also own a LCP .380 and a S&W 442 which are my carry guns. I am going to buy full hand grips for the S&W as I think the sting would go away a little with full +P rounds. As long as I have the 442 I will never need to purchase a LCR.

The pictures I see of the LCR look as if they have full hand grips on them. I own 5 different Rugers but they are a little to big to conceal carry unless you wear and overcoat all the time. The LCP I believe would be a really great carry gun if Ruger kept the same size and put three or four more ounces of weight in its frame. So I carry the 442- 90% of the time and LCP only 10%- only indoor occasions that require real concealment. How many owners out there carry the S&W 442 and what round do you use?

fknipfer1

2. Remove Ads

I carry the Ruger LCR because of its smooth trigger and I did have a 442 but,,,,,, I didnt like the trigger and ils lock. My LCR shoots the .38 rounds and grains from 125 on up to the 158. Some say it recoils kinda stiff but for me,I love shooting mine. richgp100z

I carry several different weapons depending on attire and situation, and one of them is a 442. I carry it more often in warm weather (almost exclusively in the summer). I'm currently carrying Hornady Critical Defense 38+P in it.

I have the factory grips on it and I shoot it a lot with +P and standard. I shoot it 50 to 100 rounds per trip to the range and I don't find it brutal in the recoil department. Snappy, but manageable. I have very thick hands and wrists with short fingers, so the 442 fits me well. Fols with long thin hands, wrists, and fingers seem to have more difficulty, which makes sense from a fit standpoint. To me, it's fun to shoot and super easy to carry. It takes practice to get used to shooting a snub...especially an airweight. The LCR does have a lighter smoother trigger, but it's all what you get used to.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Distinguished Member Array razor02097's Avatar
    smith hammerless snubbies do have a heavy trigger pull I admit. $8 will get you a wilson combat spring set that will fix it right up.

the 340PD with CT grips loaded with five 158 grain .357 magnum weigh the same as the LCR unloaded

Ruger did a good job offering a revolver to compete with the smith and wesson airweights. Its cheaper and a little bit lighter. I don't dig the bulky grip or the size of the frame. Just like Glock the LCR isn't for me.
    There is something about firing 4,200 thirty millimeter rounds/min that makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

"...the LCR is nothing new just a copy of an existing design."

Which design did they copy?

Its typical ruger innards with a polymer frame. The cylinder is gutted to save weight.

I wouldn't say Its a "copy" its just another snub nose, hammerless snubbie on the market. The use of polymer instead of alloy is creative to be sure.
    There is something about firing 4,200 thirty millimeter rounds/min that makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

I own both of them. The Ruger has a better sight picture and the grips are larger and seem to take up the recoil better. The 442 has smaller grips. But, Midway has two larger sizes for it. I purchased both and stayed with the slightly larger than factory ones. It is a little easier to conceal than the Ruger, but the Ruger is a better shooter.

The LCR has a much better trigger out of the box. The new J-frames I have tried lately do not have very good triggers.

I have a 642 that I sent back to S&W for a trigger job and I am well pleased with the results. The trigger is much improved. But then I had to pay $75 bucks to get it that way, plus shipping.
    3/5 Cav, BlackKnights, Vietnam, 1969

NRA-life member

Distinguished Member Array clarkston_cz's Avatar
    Cheaper, lighter, and way smoother than my last J-frame that froze up on me after only 5 rounds of factory ammo.

My LCR shot the rest of that box of ammo!

Unlike the J-frame, the LCR doesn't pound my hand as much.

Carry loads are Glaser +P and Hornady FTX 125 gr.

I paid $125 less for the Ruger!

www.czforum.com

Go RED SOX!

I'm liking that Ruger more and more! No slights to Smith,but that LCR trigger is NICE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    "We deal in lead friend">Steve McQueen The Magnificent Seven
    82d Abn(1983-86)OIF 2007-08
    Glock 19&26/ Colt Gov't & OM/Ruger SP101
    Retired NYS LEO / NRA Life Member
    Still Love Ya Sarah !
    "no kidding,gun slinging,spurs hitting the floor"

I guess I'm the only person that isn't fond of the ruger trigger? I've dry fired a few at gun stores and didn't find the trigger very consistent. I guess it wouldn't matter since its a snub... you probably arn't going to target shoot with it.

What really bugged me though was the hammer block rattles and the cylinder has an awful lot of horizontal motion when not in full lock up... I even ask the guy if it was new. He said yes. The revolver had no marks on it and its a reputable shop so I know he didn't lie. I tried one at target world and it had the same things... now I don't trust target world as much but since it was similar to the other one I would believe it was new.

I guess being that it goes boom and the low price makes it a popular choice. But it doesn't pass my scrutinizing QC tests so I wouldn't bet my life on it. I'll stick with my J-frames thanks.

Is there a lighter trigger spring available for the LCR yet? I wouldnt mind going down a couple of lbs.
    I carry a .357mag because no one bickers about the .357mag being "enough".

LCR and J frame Smith and Wesson are similar, both snubbie handguns but not the same. The LCR is not a clone. The LCR will not fit my IWB J frame holster as it has a larger trigger guard. I have both, like them both as they are very easy to conceal. Neither is a range gun that is fun to shoot. I would rather carry the LCR. Easier stock trigger, less perceived recoil due to the cushioned backstrap. Put Hogue rubber grips on the J frame and that reduces the perceived recoil thereof but greatly increases the size.
    JMO,
    oldogy
    Government is out of control
    "If gun laws in fact worked, the sponsors of this type of legislation should have no difficulty drawing upon long lists of examples of crime rates reduced by such legislation. That they cannot do so after a century and a half of trying -- " Sen Orrin G. Hatch

Quote Originally Posted by razor02097 View Post
    smith hammerless snubbies do have a heavy trigger pull I admit. $8 will get you a wilson combat spring set that will fix it right up.
    I've got to get a set of those springs. Do you order them off the internet? Is this a DIY switch or should I take it to a g-smith to get it done?
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by BugDude View Post
    I've got to get a set of those springs. Do you order them off the internet? Is this a DIY switch or should I take it to a g-smith to get it done?
    BugDude,

Google Wolff Springs and you will find a bunch of options for lightning and smoothing the trigger pull on your J frame. I think I may lighten the pull a few pounds. on my 442 after I get back home at the end of June. As far as shooting it the trigger pull is a bit heavy for my liking but I love my Smith!! It shoots nice even with +P ammo, but I also have a set of Hogue Monogrips on it.
    Libertas Vel Mors

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links