PPK/s or Sig P232??? HELP

This is a discussion on PPK/s or Sig P232??? HELP within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have a P230 (the older version of the P232), and it's hands down the best .380 I've ever used. It's heavy for it's cartridge, ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: PPK/s or Sig P232??? HELP

VIP Member
    I have a P230 (the older version of the P232), and it's hands down the best .380 I've ever used. It's heavy for it's cartridge, but that makes it a very comfortable gun to shoot. It's accurate, it has a great trigger, and is easy to carry and deploy. The mag release is an issue if you're used to the "normal" position, but if you learn it, it's not all that much worse...

All in all, I much prefer the Sig.
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

2. Remove Ads

Sig ... or 9mm

I would go with the Sig. You have already had one "problematic" pistol, a PPK could be your second. The Sig has a much better reputation.

But I would also take a long hard look at compact 9mm pistols, like the Glock 19 and similar guns made by S&W and others. These are about the same size as the PPK and P232 but load a better round and more of them.

Distinguished Member Array GWRedDragon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CharlieP View Post
    But I would also take a long hard look at compact 9mm pistols, like the Glock 19 and similar guns made by S&W and others. These are about the same size as the PPK and P232 but load a better round and more of them.
    No offense, but a G19 is not even CLOSE to the same size as a PPK.

That said, I do think it would be worthwhile to take a look at these larger options if you haven't already.
    "Trust in God with hand on sword" -Inscription on my family's coat of arms from medieval England
    ---Carry options: G26/MTAC, PF9/MiniTuck, PPK/Pocket, USP40/OWB---
    ---NOTE: I am not an expert. If I ever start acting like a know-it-all, please call me on it immediately. ---

Thanks All.....I am not looking for a 9MM (have plenty) but looking specifically for a 380 that will have great reliability for my wife, that is easy to shoot...not a small 380 like my LCP but a bigger, heavier framed gun that is pleasant for her. I have Glocks and others but this is for a specific goal. Thanks again.
    "I would rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy!" - Dorothy Parker

VIP Member
    As far as a "comfortable to shoot" 380, I personally don't think anything compares to the comfort and recoil management of the Sig P232 with a stainless steel frame. The extra weight of the gun makes the recoil easily manageable for (nearly) any shooter.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
    Thomas Jefferson

Distinguished Member Array ripley16's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by harley2007 View Post
    Thanks All.....I am not looking for a 9MM (have plenty) but looking specifically for a 380 that will have great reliability for my wife, that is easy to shoot...not a small 380 like my LCP but a bigger, heavier framed gun that is pleasant for her.

In that case, you may also want to seek out the Beretta 85 or 84 and possibly a CZ83. These are about the same size, similar weight and recoil and all are known for reliability. Not easy to find, but the Sphinx AT380 is a particular favorite of mine. Here's a pick of these along with the P232.

Last edited by ripley16; March 2nd, 2010 at 05:04 AM.

VIP Member
    I'm drooling all over the keyboard ripley16. Nice collection.

Go with the P232. Having owned 3 of the Walther PPK and PPK/s variants, the quality just is not there. I've also owned the P232, and a Beretta 85F. Both are excellent. Regretted having sold the Sig.

I am changing the search to either a Beretta or a Sig, abandoning the PPKs
    "I would rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy!" - Dorothy Parker

I like the PPK, and really like the PPK/S better than the SIG. Either is a good choice, but it's true that the PPK or PPK/S can give you a "slide bite" if you're not careful. My PPK/S just points more naturally for me and feels better in the hand than the SIG. It's also flat and conceals well and it's a darned fine looking gun too.
    Attached Images

Another PPK fan here... Had both and still have the PPK. IMO the pre S&W PPK and PPK/S can stand on their own merits as far as quality and reliability with any pistol maker out there period. If I had to make a call on it, I'd honestly say the Interarms and earlier Walthers are dead even in the quality ranking. The slide bite and weight would be marks against um, but in every other area of evaluation it's either a tie or chalk it up to preference. My answer to the OP question would be; if you're looking for a new pistol go with the Sig; if a quality used pistol is an option, go for the older PPK, pre S&W. i.e. Interarms or earlier.

GBK
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

the P232 Hands down!!! It is a awesome firearm. I prefer the SL cuz it's all SS and comes with N.S. Some complain of slide bite, but using the Hogue grips will cure that. Although nothing is sexier than a P232 with a set of Nills on them!!
    When Seconds Count, The Cops Are Just Minutes Away!!
    Carry On!
    NCHornet

Easiest question ever, Sig 232!

Quote Originally Posted by OPFOR View Post
    I have a P230 (the older version of the P232), and it's hands down the best .380 I've ever used. It's heavy for it's cartridge, but that makes it a very comfortable gun to shoot. It's accurate, it has a great trigger, and is easy to carry and deploy. The mag release is an issue if you're used to the "normal" position, but if you learn it, it's not all that much worse...

All in all, I much prefer the Sig.
    I share in this opinion. I love my 230

You might be able to save a little bit of money by getting the 230 instead of the 232. Basically the same gun. I've only shot the 230, but have handled the PPK/S. I'm a much bigger fan of the Sig. Good luck!

Distinguished Member Array ripley16's Avatar
    I am changing the search to either a Beretta or a Sig

Tough, tough choice. Both are world class CCWs. However, when I honestly ask myself, which one would I choose if I were certain it would be used, then the Beretta wins. It exudes quality and competence. I carried this one and it never let me down. It sports the hard to find Farrar rubber grips which are best I've found. The gun is all work, meant to be used, often and hard. A duty quality firearm.

Now, if I want to enjoy a night at the ballet or opera... the Sig takes the day, I mean ... the night.

I love them both.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links