NEW Kel-Tec PF-9: initial report

This is a discussion on NEW Kel-Tec PF-9: initial report within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have been carrying a G26 in an MTAC ever since I got my CHP a bit over a year ago. Recently though I have ...

Thread: NEW Kel-Tec PF-9: initial report

Distinguished Member Array GWRedDragon's Avatar

I have been carrying a G26 in an MTAC ever since I got my CHP a bit over a year ago. Recently though I have lost 50lbs and plan to continue, and as that has happened the G26 has seemed thicker and thicker. I had been wearing particularly oversized clothes and concealment was no problem, but I find myself wanting to wear smaller ones now and with them the G26 really stands out. It's not bad with a coat on, but summer is coming up and I decided I needed another plan.

I already owned a PPK, and my original thinking was to order a MiniTuck and carry that. There are a number of things I don't like about the PPK though: weight, unforgiving DA trigger for the first shot, requirement to carry with the safety on to prevent possible drop-discharges, and of course the underpowered (and overpriced!) .380acp caliber.

The other day I stopped by one of the local stores and they had a new Kel-Tec PF-9 in the display case for $300...I couldn't resist. Ever since I first read about it, I really wanted a PF-9: the same size as the PPK, but 9mm, polymer, and no extraneous safeties to worry about. I just had to get it

(The new pistol, with chapstick for size comparison)

I have never handled a $300 pistol before, and I had read threads were people said the "fit and finish" would not be the same as a $500+ pistol but I never knew exactly what that meant. Now I understand. Unlike the Glocks, the slide on the PF9 is only lightly coated and appears easily scratched (it is the parkerized model). I also noticed that the mag would 'catch' on the release about halfway in if you push it in slowly, but it is no problem if you slam it home the way you should probably do anyway.

When I got home I immediately did a field strip and cleaned out the factory grease. With only a couple drops of oil (the way I lube the Glocks), the PF9 parts grated against each other like sandpaper. It was the opposite of the smoothness of action I was used to from my other pistols (Glock, PPK, HK). I was a little worried but I ended up just putting a whole lot of oil on everything and packing it up to try out later.

I did go ahead and order a MiniTuck for the PF9 a couple days ago, but it of course hasn't arrived yet. I couldn't wait to shoot the PF9 so I took it out this weekend. I managed to get some Federal FMJ (150rnds) at Walmart and also brought along Blazer Brass FMJ (50rnds) and some of my G26 carry load, Gold Dot 124g+P. I ended up shooting almost all of it...

At the range, I set up an 8" swivel plate at approximately 15yds and started out with the FMJ loads. The trigger pull is extremely long (as I had already learned online and with snap caps) but I had no problems with that. I was extremely impressed with the PF9's accuracy (despite the seemingly wafer-thin barrel) and was easily hitting the plate on every shot by the 2nd or 3rd mag.

Switching to 124gr+P carry loads, I only had one thing to say: "WOW!". The amount of kick was truly shocking. With the G26, I can barely tell the difference at all between 115gr FMJ practice loads and 124gr+P loads. With the PF9, it was such a huge difference that my hand was sore after the first mag. My accuracy suffered a lot due to the kick as well. I am considering getting some standard pressure carry rounds to maintain better accuracy in the case of a SD situation.

The PF9's trigger reset also slapped my trigger finger pretty hard after each shot, and it did cause a little pain after repeated firing. It's not horrible, but it is clear that the PF9 is not designed to be a range gun (nor did I plan to use it in that capacity). For CC practice, I can certainly live with it.

In all, the PF9 was a joy to shoot (with the standard pressure loads). It worked flawlessly; I did not get a single malfunction in 250 rounds. Accuracy was quite impressive, the sites and trigger were just fine, and I had no trouble hitting the target again and again.

I really love the PF9, now. The 'gritty' action, relatively poorly protected slide, and long trigger don't bother me at all for what I get: a tiny, accurate, extremely low price, reliable pistol in a full-power caliber.

(The PF-9 and its bigger brother, the good old G26)

In heavy/loose clothing I will probably still prefer the 10+1 of the G26 to the 7+1 of the PF9, but I expect the PF9 to carry well. I haven't owned a Crossbreed before but I expect it to be pretty similar to the MTAC (but smaller) so I anticipate no problems. I can't wait to get the holster now, so I can try carrying the PF9
    "Trust in God with hand on sword" -Inscription on my family's coat of arms from medieval England
    ---Carry options: G26/MTAC, PF9/MiniTuck, PPK/Pocket, USP40/OWB---
    ---NOTE: I am not an expert. If I ever start acting like a know-it-all, please call me on it immediately. ---

cmb
    similar impressions to what I had, though I have parted ways with my PF 9. I did have a little trouble with 124 grain HP's but not with 115's. The soreness was mutual also.

Hope it serves you well, that little guy is thin and is light, that's for sure!

Yeah I carry one most of the time. It does kick some but not that bad. That is a result of the small size and light weight. It goes bang when the trigger is pulled and thats what is important.

A friend of mine has a S&W J-frame 357 that is made from the light weight scandium. He says rather than taking it to the range, he just goes out to the garage and hits his hand 4 or 5 times with a ball-peen hammer. He says its about the same effect.
    3/5 Cav, BlackKnights, Vietnam, 1969

NRA-life member

Distinguished Member Array Diddle's Avatar
    I bought a PF9 because of the deal offered. While I don't carry it, I do like it.

Craig
    Diddle
    Indusrtrial Machine Tool Technician - Certified Refrigeration Technician - CET
    NRA Life Member

I've had a PF9 for about 9 months, and I really like it...but, It does kick HARD and the blued finish is going to get Dura-coated! I've added a Hogue Hand-All Jr. grip sleeve and replaced the stock mag floor plates with finger rest/mag extensions made for a Hahr PM9(by Pearce). These 2 changes have made a real difference in shooting the little cannon. I can get my pinky finger on the grip now, just barely, but enough to make it manageable! The grip sleeve is not too thick so the gun is still concealable. The mag extensions make it a bit harder to pocket carry, but I prefer my Thunderwear and am looking to get a tuckable IWB soon.

And that's why I sold my PF9 as soon as I could
    Colt New Agent, Dan Wesson V-Bob, Glock 19,20SF, 23, 26, 27, 29, 30SF, 36, Kahr P380 w/CT, PM9, PM45, CW9(SOLD), Kel-Tec P32, P3AT, PF9(SOLD), Kimber Ultra Crimson Carry II, Stainless Pro TLE/RL II (SOLD), Rohrbaugh R9s, Ruger LCP w/CT, LCR, SP101 S&W J-Frame 638 w/CT, M&P 340 w/CT, Walther PPK/S

I added a trigger stop to prevent overtravel.... details on this modification are at the ktog website (basically you glue a pencil tip eraser to the frame, behind the trigger). Does not sound like a very useful improvement, but made mine a better shooter for sure.

Despite its complete POS appearance and feel, I carry the pf-9 more than any gun I own. It is thin and has never malfunctioned.

VIP Member
    Good for you!!

I have the p-11, and really like it . They are not range guns, they are a practice a little, carry alot firearm. People seem to not understand that when they buy it.
    I also have other weapons, but for a specific reason, This is the one I carry on the days I work.

"You may find me one day dead in a ditch somewhere. But by God, you'll find me in a pile of brass." - Trooper M. Padgett
    I would rather die with good men than hide with cowards
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.
    Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy."

M&Pc .357sig, 2340Sigpro .357sig

Distinguished Member Array GWRedDragon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DistantHorizon View Post
    I added a trigger stop to prevent overtravel.... details on this modification are at the ktog website (basically you glue a pencil tip eraser to the frame, behind the trigger).
    Thanks. I'll look at this, but I don't think I'll do it. The trigger doesn't seem to hurt my accuracy with the gun, so I don't think I really need to modify it.

Quote Originally Posted by DistantHorizon View Post
    Despite its complete POS appearance and feel...it is thin and has never malfunctioned.
    I think "POS" describes the finish pretty well. Honestly though, as long as the function is unaffected I will be happy. I got it to be a CC gun; I don't care if it feels super cheap, all I want is for it to WORK.

So far, so good
    "Trust in God with hand on sword" -Inscription on my family's coat of arms from medieval England
    ---Carry options: G26/MTAC, PF9/MiniTuck, PPK/Pocket, USP40/OWB---
    ---NOTE: I am not an expert. If I ever start acting like a know-it-all, please call me on it immediately. ---

Glad to hear you are pleased with your new PF9. Those ultra light guns aren't everyone's cup of tea. I've carried the slightly larger Kel Tec P-11 for about 10 years and the PF-9 off and on for 2. Based on that experience, I would suggest you use grease , not oil, on the PF-9's slide. You need the gun to be well lubricated to function properly. Another thing to remember is to frequently check the tension on the bolt the holds the extractor on ( and retains the firing pin as well). It is supposed to be locktighted on at the factory, but it will eventually loosen and can then create failures to extract. Be very carefully not to overtighten it though, since stripping the screwhead is a real pain.

Personally I would also suggest you go with the standard pressure GD's. I've tried both and went to the standard pressure rounds because the difference in recovery time between the two is significant. The PF9 will beat you up up enough with standard practice rounds that I don't shoot more than 50 rounds at a time. Plus P is brutal. Even though there is only 3 ounces weight difference between the P-11 and the PF9 , the PF9 has significantly more felt recoil for me. I think the narrow grip has a lot to do with that.

enjoy- conwic

Congrats on your sub-compact 9mm. They are indeed practice a little and carry a lot. They aren't range guns. They also have tight tolerances and need cleaning every couple hundred rounds. I have a Taurus 709 Slim (similar in size) and I find I carry it more than others (IWB and pocket). I've been carrying the Hornady Critical Defense and have found it a good shooter round. Easy to get back on target. Enjoy your new thin 9mm...you'll carry it a lot.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

I'm with BugDude on the 709, holding the 2 side by side my money went to the 709. I just couldn't make myself like the pf9 although I heard a lot of good about it. The gritty action I hear goes away after some break in.
    NRA Endowment Member
    USCCA Member
    Certified Glock Armorer
    Patriot Guard Rider

I had shot a pf9 before and several other small 9mm and 380s. When I went to buy one I took a chance on the 709 because it fit my hand better and I liked the striker fired SA trigger. I was pleasantly surprised. It's been buttery smooth, very accurate, flawless 600 round performance, and doesn't kick nearly as bad as other small semi-autos I've shot. Easy rapid fire on target. It works for me, just like the PF9 and Kahrs work best for some. It's all in what fits you and you become comfortable and proficient with. I also shoot a S&W 442 snub and I've gotten used to the kick and become fairly accurate with it as well. Each gun is different and takes practice. Hope all goes well with your new sub compact 9mm...once you are comfortable with it, it will become one of your most carried handguns.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

I absolutely love mine (as everyone here probably knows by now) you are spot on with your post. I sanded down my seams and got a mini hogue slip on grip, u got to get you one of them, it makes a huge difference in felt recoil. Whats crazy is that i am starting to like the kick of it. I must say though I have not shot any +p yet.
    You may not like guns. You may choose not to own one. That is your right.
    You might not believe in God. That is your choice.
    However, if someone breaks into your home at 3AM the first two things you are going to do are:
    1) Call someone with a gun.
    2)Pray they get there in time." - A wise man

Sponsored Links