Is carrying a full size 1911 feasable for a relatively small frame guy?

This is a discussion on Is carrying a full size 1911 feasable for a relatively small frame guy? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hey guys i just got a new 1911 springfield armory and was wondering how many carry it and with what holster Im 5'9 and 180 ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is carrying a full size 1911 feasable for a relatively small frame guy?

Hey guys i just got a new 1911 springfield armory and was wondering how many carry it and with what holster Im 5'9 and 180 but loosing the weight so I will be down to 165 soon.
    "I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use."
    - Galileo Galilei (1564-1642)

I'm 5'9 170 pounds so i am just about your size. I have carried my full colt series 80 1911 in a crossbreed supertuck concealed fairly well with just a t-shirt as cover. It wasnt exactly what I would call comfortable because of the weight but it is doable. The crossbreed helps to distribute the weight because of the surface area of the holster. If comfort isn't a primary concern the only think you have to worry about is making sure your t-shirt isn't to tight. Other then that you should be fine.
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

I'm 5'7, 150#. I gotta carry at 3:00 so the handle doesn't stick out. I carry IWB with a holster from Little Bear Holsters.
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

I am 5'9" 180lbs, I carry a full size XDm in a Pure Kustom holster all day long. The XDm is just about the same size as most 1911's, maybe a bit fatter. Contrary to popular belief, the size of your body does not matter when concealing a firearm. What does matter are clothing options, you want to look comfortable, be comfortable without wearing obviously over sized clothes. The other things are a good quality holster that will hold the firearm tight to you, a gun belt to help support the weight, and probably the most important thing, CONFIDENCE. Trying to hide a firearm that feels like a cinder block in your pants will make you feel just like that. You think that everyone will notice, but trust me, no one does.

Take a look at how I carry.
    IWB

OWB

Same holster, the Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro is both IWB and OWB.

1911s are flat and easy to conceal. I don't see a problem. Just get the right rig.
    Sig 226, 228. Glock 19, 23. Smith Model 60,and 1911. XD45 Tactical. Mossberg 930 SPX.

How we behave as gun owners is important. Posturing and threatening does not serve us well in the public eye.

I've wondered the same.

My problems are 6', 165, 30" waist.

Never have been seen in public not wearing a button down oxford shirt. I've done the 5.1.1 tactical undershirt with 9mm's and could do the 1911.

yes. See pics of Lima......she's like 95 lbs and carries a 1911.....
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Quote Originally Posted by SIGguy229 View Post
    yes. See pics of Lima......she's like 95 lbs and carries a 1911.....
    I don't think she carries a full size.
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

Distinguished Member Array TerriLi's Avatar
    Lima carries several different 1911s, I know one is full size, also I'm about her size and I carry a Sig P220, which is thicker and just as big as a 1911. Also I carry sometimes a 4 inch S&W model 65 .357mag.
    I know not what this "overkill" means.

Honing the knives, Cleaning the longguns, Stocking up ammo.

Quote Originally Posted by mrm View Post
    Hey guys i just got a new 1911 springfield armory and was wondering how many carry it and with what holster Im 5'9 and 180 but loosing the weight so I will be down to 165 soon.
    Go find a pic of Limatunes carrying her 1911s... if that girl can conceal one, you certainly can.

Photos
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Quote Originally Posted by mrm View Post
    The challenge with concealing this, like many guns, is the butt. When you lean forward it can print. When you sit in a chair it'll clunk into it.

Lots of forward cant will help with that. 5'11" 170. I had a comp-tac ctac for carrying IWB @ 3:30, replaced the small leather outriggers with my own leather outriggers to relocate the clips so it carried with about 30-35 degrees of cant. Worked alright but creaked. After sending it back it dawned on me why it creaked and how to fix it; however, that's the point where I got into building my own holsters.

Unless you're in a sensitive easy-to-get-made situation, it can be done, especially if you're dressing around the gun.

Check out Lima's Holster talk videos... YouTube - limalife's Channel

You aren't smaller than she it.

I'm 5'7" and about 165lbs and I carry a full size 1911. The right holster will keep it out of sight, but you might have to try a few to get the right one.
    One of the most dangerous political philosophies afflicting America today is the belief that we canít allow anyone to suffer the natural consequences of their own stupidity.

Distinguished Member Array Rugergirl's Avatar
    With the right holster, belt and clothing combination you should have no problem.
    If I at a towering 5'4" and a whopping 125 pounds can successfully hide a S&W N-frame revolver, the little 1911 should not be a problem.
    If you want to conceal a firearm badly enough and have the determination...
    Disclaimer: The posts made by this member are only the members opinion, not a reflection on anyone else, nor the group, and should not be cause for anyone to get their undergarments wedged in an uncomfortable position.

cmb
    Yes with a good belt and the right clothes. I am 6' 205 we may be proportional if you don't lose to much more! I have no trouble at 3-3:30 with a little cant!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links