Honest opinons needed...

Honest opinons needed...

This is a discussion on Honest opinons needed... within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Any of you guys own or owned a Bond Defender in .410/.45? I ask because I am pretty close to getting one. I have watched ...

View Poll Results: BOND ARMS RANGER?

Voters
59. You may not vote on this poll
  • YES

2 3.39%
  • NO

57 96.61%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Honest opinons needed...

Honest opinons needed...

Any of you guys own or owned a Bond Defender in .410/.45? I ask because I am pretty close to getting one. I have watched youtube videos and read online reviews but what say you, the real guys who cc everyday?
    Last edited by SIXTO; March 2nd, 2010 at 01:10 PM.

Distinguished Member Array Spec's Avatar
    I know that it is a different gun but same ballistics i would image.. read this

The Box O' Truth #41 - The Taurus Judge Vs. The Box O' Truth - Page 1
    I would say NO the .410 round is not good for stopping 2 legged things for self defense..
    NRA Certified Rifle/Pistol Instructor
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G18CFw0lnD8

Accuracy ALWAYS WINS! So carry what you can hit with.

If you find yourself in a fair fight your tactics stink.

I voted no, if there was a 'no way' option I'd have gone for that. For the money, there are significantly better weapons available.

I have 2 friends that carry them and swear by them.. I have thought about carrying one before but I cant draw one and cock it onehanded... plus I want more than 2 shots...for the money that one of these costs there is a lot of better choices out there. 410's do not carry much punch...I have seen deer shot at close range with a 410 slug and not even act like they were hit. Neat guns for snakes tho...Just my opinion..thanks robbie

Thats what Im thinking. For the snake cornered by the dogs... I am able to get it from a friend for 225.00.

Senior Member Array mr surveyor's Avatar
    if all you want is a snake gun, find a used (but serviceable) .38 revolver. With CCI shot shells it will be very reliable for snakes (that's what I carry for an every day "field gun"), and have many more uses. Actually, a .38 snub isn't much larger than the Bond Derringer. They are fun to shoot, but very heavy, have limited round count, and with the super short barrel they really don't offer a lot of real punch for the amount of recoil. The revolver would do just as well and be much more versitile.

just my opinion

surv

VIP Member
    Not just no but HECK no! You can find plenty of decent used firearms in that same price range. You just need to shop around.
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

Not here in NM. 225 really won't buy you much here. Prices seem to be out of wack here lately.... Every review I have read today oonline says that they are a quality peice. What is wrong with them in your opinion?

They are well made but large and clunky. The gun is primitive even if it is a modern adaptation of 19th century designs. Two shots and you are done. The .410 is best served up in traditional shotguns, not in stunted handguns.

Get it for fun if you like but recognize it as a novelty item in a firearms battery.

Don't have one, don't want one...an OK weapon if in the 'timbers' and will be visiting 'Diamondback' habitat, but I can also put snake shot in my S&W 637 for that...and still have a great CCW firearm. OMO

The Bond Defender... http://www.bondarms.com/gunRlarge.gif
    Required Bond Defender additional equipment... http://www.bengay.com/ ...for your wrist.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    I'm going to hit you with two views:

1. There are much more versatile firearms on the market for that price that will do a better job at anything and everything. I think the recoil would be a handful (no pun intended) and it's not something you'd enjoy taking to the range and running a box of shells through. The range of the .410 would be limited at best, effective in a measure of feet in lieu of yards. A snake at 10 feet--sure, but any snake is pretty harmless at ten feet.

2. The gun is obviously intended for upclose and personal SD. I defy anyone out there to take a load of .410 birdshot in the face at arms length and still want a piece of me! The gun is not meant for taking down a dozen gang menbers carrying semis, so why make out it's useless for that purpose. We know that much. BGs are not armor-plated and immune to pain as so many think. They are, for the most part, cowards and opportunists and will avoid confrontation.

So if you want a novelty firearm that you can drop into your backpack or fanny pack while you out on a hike through the local woods and trails, assuming you're not in Griz country, then by all means, get it. Many Alaskan bush pilots keep one of these in their acft for emergencies. It might come in handy if they're down and need to pop a ptarmigan for survival (the dumb birds will walk up to you) or a bunny.

But if you're looking for a serious CW that will protect you in most circumstances, keep looking.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

cmb
    Novelty gun for sure, well made, interchangeable barrells but to carry. No way, for one you must cock the hammer, secondly they are costly, third the one I picked up at the gun shop weighed as much as a compact pistol like a Glock 26. In fact you could carry 2 lcp's have less weight, less thickness and 85% more ammo. The person who said they are as big as a snub are correct.

You want honest... I wouldn't get one unless I had the money and every other gun I could imagine and as Han Solo said, I can imagine alot!

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cmontrose1 View Post
    Not here in NM. 225 really won't buy you much here. Prices seem to be out of wack here lately.... Every review I have read today oonline says that they are a quality peice. What is wrong with them in your opinion?
    Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    I'm going to hit you with two views:

1. There are much more versatile firearms on the market for that price that will do a better job at anything and everything. I think the recoil would be a handful (no pun intended) and it's not something you'd enjoy taking to the range and running a box of shells through. The range of the .410 would be limited at best, effective in a measure of feet in lieu of yards. A snake at 10 feet--sure, but any snake is pretty harmless at ten feet.

So if you want a novelty firearm that you can drop into your backpack or fanny pack while you out on a hike through the local woods and trails, assuming you're not in Griz country, then by all means, get it.

.But if you're looking for a serious CW that will protect you in most circumstances, keep looking
    I was going to reply but this (in bold) was what I was going to say.

If you are willing to shop around you can find something better at at similar price.

Armscor 206 38 spl snub nose revolver NEW : Revolvers at GunBroker.com

Rossi M88 .38 cal revolver : Revolvers at GunBroker.com

Armscor 200 4" Barrel 6 Shot 38sp .38 - NIB! : Revolvers at GunBroker.com
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

Quote Originally Posted by cmontrose1 View Post
    If prices are out of whack in NM, simply go to gunbroker.com or Summit Gun Broker on the 'net and order what you want. Sure, you'll pay shipping and the FFL fee, but no state sales tax.

I am assuming you own a computer and have an internet connection since you posted this thread.

It sounds to me like you're trying to talk yourself into this purchase. Is it a friend or relative who wants to sell it to you? Do you feel a little pressure to buy this gun?

Administrator
    I own a lot of guns. I don't own one of those... and there is a reason for that.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links