Tell me about your P9 or P45

This is a discussion on Tell me about your P9 or P45 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am on the fence and cannot decide which one of these to get. I have a PM9 that works great for several things, but ...

Thread: Tell me about your P9 or P45

I am on the fence and cannot decide which one of these to get. I have a PM9 that works great for several things, but I want a full size three finger grip and longer barrel for IWB carry.

I know the P45 had it's issues in the beginning, I think they have the bugs worked out. I also hear a lot of people say that the Kahr line seems to work best in 9mm. If I had my druthers I would get the P40 but have heard horror stories so I excluded it from my search.

So to you that have them, what is your story?

Well...I have both and have to say that I also heard the P45 had issues before I bought mine. Sure enough I had problems from the get go. Now to Kahr's defense they worked it out and made it. To date of all the Kahrs I have, the P9 is my most favorite. One because of the way it feels in my hand, two because it's so darned accurate.

I am currently carrying the P45 to see how it feels and though it will not replace my P9 for EDC it may take away some playing time for sure.
    "Get out of my dreams and into my Kahr"

http://designlinetx.com/

If you don't need a polygonal barrel, go cw9. Thinner too, but one cannot beat the grip on the P9.
    Better to die on your feet, than to live on your knees.

you cant go wrong with a PM9 they are excellent for carry and deep concealment, i held one at a gun shop i like the feel in my hands but i dont know how well they shoot- i have heard they are accurate and the triggers felt good. If you have the $$$ get the PM9
    Bushmaster XM15 E2S Shorty
    Walther P99 .40 S&W
    Romanian WASR GP 10/63
    Remington model 700 30-06
    Savage Model 62 .22lr
    Glock 19 gen 3 TALO

The p9 is the most natural feeling handgun I have ever handled or shot. What the 45 gives up in capacity vs power is not worth it to me. I woudl go for the P9.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

I have a P9 as my BUG now that I carry my Walther P99 9mm fullsize 100% of the time. Check out the KahrTalk.com forum :-)
    My P9 was circa 2000 and had to go back to the factory once, very good service. The newer ones are excellent from what I'm hearing on the Kahr Forum.
    My main love now is the Walther P99 AS.

Mel
    Walther P99 AS full size 9mm
    Kahr P9 compact 9mm

NRA
    Michigan Sheriff's Association
    “The key is to hit them hard, hit them fast, and hit them repeatedly. The one shot stop is a unit of measurement not a tactical philosophy.” Evan Marshall

My P9 was an early model, circa 2001. It would catch spent shells horizontally in the ejection port at least once per mag, jamming the gun. Several trips back to Kahr could not fix it. The gun shop gave me a refund.

Fast forward a year or two, and lo and behold, there are some Kahr engineers shooting at my range. I asked them about the issues I experienced, and they said the early P9 pistols had too much flex in the polymer frames, which was causing the problem.

Unfortunately, I also experienced numerous issues with an early PM9 - and another newer PM9 they finally gave me to replace my original one. Based on my experience, I will not own another Kahr - but I acknowledge that others have had better luck with them than I have.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

Distinguished Member Array AutoFan's Avatar
    I like my P9 as a carry piece, it has always been reliable and accurate (I bought it in 5 years ago). It is pretty flat, but I wish some of the contours were a little more rounded. I put an A-Grip on it and it has been good to go.

Now a shooting buddy of mine bought one a couple of years ago based on my experience, and his took 3 trips back to the factory to fix a problem with light primer strikes.

Well I went to the gun shop yesterday and handeled both the
    P9 and P45. The P45 fit me meat hooks better, they both point
    well I just kept reaching for the P45. I have not found a range
    that has either to rent so I'm at an inpass. My hand wants the
    bigger gun and my body wants to carry the smaller one.

So get the PM, and a larger P sized magazine, voila, best of both worlds!
    Better to die on your feet, than to live on your knees.

Quote Originally Posted by Napa Nick View Post
    Well I went to the gun shop yesterday and handeled both the
    P9 and P45. The P45 fit me meat hooks better, they both point
    well I just kept reaching for the P45. I have not found a range
    that has either to rent so I'm at an inpass. My hand wants the
    bigger gun and my body wants to carry the smaller one.
    I'm not a big guy, 5'-7" 155lbs, and I'm concealing the P45 rather well. I personally think the only this better in .45acp would be the PM45. So far I'm loving my P45.

Here's my two together for reference.

"Get out of my dreams and into my Kahr"

http://designlinetx.com/

Save some money and get the CW9 instead. Same gun as the P9 but in plain clothes. I have shot both the P9 and CW9 and can't tell any difference in accuracy with the poly barrel vs the rifled barrel. My CW9 has been trouble free so far and I don't expect things to change much. They are great guns.

I'm looking at a possible CW45 later, but for now I'll stick with my tuned 1911's in 45 ACP.

I have the PM9 and like it very much, and know the P9 would do everything I want it to do, I just can't get past the way the P45 feels in my hand.

If I could shoot both I would have my answer.

Thanks for all the input.

Sponsored Links