FN P45 looking for input

FN P45 looking for input

This is a discussion on FN P45 looking for input within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am thinking about picking up a new FN P45 this weekend. I have read many good reviews but I am a bit concerned about ...

Thread: FN P45 looking for input

FN P45 looking for input

I am thinking about picking up a new FN P45 this weekend. I have read many good reviews but I am a bit concerned about buying a new model, ie; P238, LCR ,recalls etc. Wondering if anyone here has one and what they think about it?

Thank you,

Ilikeguns

You might want to pay a visit to the FN forum (FNP :: FN Forum.NET). Some FNP-45s seem to be ammo picky, but you'd find better information there. The owners seem to like it, though.

I have one. It's a great gun, eats everything I feed it. Very accurate and controllable. It's not really a "new" model, they have been around for awhile. FN makes fine weapons, I think you will be happy with it. I know I am.
    Ignorance can be cured. Stupid is forever.

AzB
    It's been around a couple of years.

I've had exactly one FTF in several hundred rounds, including WinWhite hollow points, which have been reported to cause problems.

There are several things I like about the gun... first and foremost is the accuracy. I can hit the bullseye every time at 25yds and I'm not an especially good shot. Secondly the ambidextrous controls. I shoot with both hands (not at the same time!) and really enjoy having a pistol that swings both ways. Lastly, the capacity. With 2 clips and one in the chamber, I have plenty of ammo for a small skirmish. With all three clips, I have nearly an entire box of ammunition (46) to deal with. That's incredible capacity for a large caliber defense weapon.

The gun is built well, has a lifetime warranty, and feels good.

The only downside is that it's big. But that kinda comes with the territory. (Accuracy and capacity)

Az

I have an fnp-40 and love it.
    Blessed be the LORD my strength which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight. PSALM 144:1

I CLING to my guns and my Bible.

In doing some more research I see they offer a USG version that has a manual safety and so can be carried Locked and cocked. I did not realize until now that this model had been around for 2 years. Lastly is $640.00 a good proce for the USG package with 3 mags, case, and lock?

I have both the FNP-9 and FNP-40. I love both and am a huge FNH fan. Not sure if I'm gonna get the FNP-45 as its a little on the big size for my hands. The FNPs are very well built guns. I wouldnt hesitate to buy anything from FNH.
    I carry a .357mag because no one bickers about the .357mag being "enough".

Quote Originally Posted by Ilikeguns View Post
    In doing some more research I see they offer a USG version that has a manual safety and so can be carried Locked and cocked. I did not realize until now that this model had been around for 2 years. Lastly is $640.00 a good proce for the USG package with 3 mags, case, and lock?
    You can probably do better if you shop around a little. $640 isn't bad though.
    Ignorance can be cured. Stupid is forever.

$640 is average. I am getting the 45 USG as soon as the funding comes through. I have had my eyes set on it for a very long time. I have done more research into the firearm, the company, process in making the firearm, etc. I have found nothing wrong other than a few problems early on that have been permanently fixed. With the feeding problems others have posted on the wonderful FN Forum, these are isolated problems found with only some manufactures of JHP. Simple solution to this, if your particular firearm does not like that ammo, dont shoot it. Another problem I have found through research is the slide look not releasing on the left side. Again, the is not a big deal for most people and FN is working on a solution.

All in all, I cant wait to get mine. The FNP 45 USG is one of the hottest pistols on the market, we (gun shop) cant keep them on the shelves. After all the research I have done and I still want it, its a good pistol.

Great feedback thanks. I have also done a fair amount of research now and feel this gun offers more features that I am looking for than any other manufacturer. It looks like a no brainer to me. I will pick one up in the next couple of days and report my findings and post some pics. Thanks again

I just wanted to follow up with what I had written previously about some FNP-45 users experiencing ammo issues. It may be pistol specific, but as far as ammo is concerned Winchester White Box seems to be the most common problem. Some attribute the problem to the magazine follower, but that won't do anything about a round being out of spec.

Finally fired Gold Dots and Federal HSTs through my 45, FTFs :: FN Forum.NET

FNP-45 Magazines Absolutely will not feed 230 Grain WWB Ammo :: FN Forum.NET

FNP45 range report: many FTL :: FN Forum.NET

FNP45 FTFs :: FN Forum.NET

FNP-45 900+ rounds, first FTFs. :: FN Forum.NET

BTW, I have the FNP-9 and it has fed/fired/ejected everything without issue. The only issue I've had has been with the hammer pin wiggling out after a range session, but I haven't bothered sending it in. I've inspected the FCG and it looked good so no worries. The 9 is a great pistol.

Can't Go Wrong, Buy It!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Own 1. Love it, and so does everyone that shoots it. Dead accurate and no FTF/FTE issues. Very manageable, my wife can even shoot it. FNH makes a very great gun, and if you go on any brand specific forum, you will find people that have issues. The people that aren't having issues are out shooting and having fun.

I just looked at one yesterday at the range/gun shop....It was sweet! I'm a lefty and a big fan of the controls on both sides. Also came with three MAGS...but no clips.
    Russell
    XD9 Service
    XD9 SC

Magazine <> clip - know the difference

I was wondering if someone caught 'clips' in reference to the 'magazines'
    Walther P99 AS full size 9mm
    Kahr P9 compact 9mm

NRA
    Michigan Sheriff's Association
    “The key is to hit them hard, hit them fast, and hit them repeatedly. The one shot stop is a unit of measurement not a tactical philosophy.” Evan Marshall

Sponsored Links