Help on picking out a new .45 for carry - Page 3

Help on picking out a new .45 for carry

This is a discussion on Help on picking out a new .45 for carry within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Stay away from the Hi-Point .45. I had one and it was totally useless....

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Help on picking out a new .45 for carry

Stay away from the Hi-Point .45. I had one and it was totally useless.
    Festus
    in omnia paratus

Distinguished Member Array fed_wif_a_sig's Avatar
    Kahr 45 is sweet. Wont do you wrong and a great company to back ya up. However the Tarus is also neat but I'd go with the Kahr.

Steve
    Steve
    "Respect all ... Fear none!!!

It is the G36 that has been problematic. Also some G22s when a light is mounted on the rail.

The Taurus PT-145 MilPro is a good pistol. I have had some problems with mine, and it's currently back in Florida for "repairs" but I would probably buy it again due to its features, ergonomics, capacity, and the fact that I am seemingly the only one on the planet having serious problems with it. I probably got a lemon, but there don't seem to be many of those around. I just hope it's OK when I get it back.

Fow CCW I would stick to the proven platforms that have been out for a while, such as most of the Glocks, or the Taurus PT-*45. The Kahr 45 has also had its share of problems, it probably needs some more time on the market for debugging (IMHO).

If the Glock 30 fits your hand and you can conceal it well, that would probably be a good choice for you.

Quote Originally Posted by warwagon
    Just a thought, but after doing some looking, I picked up a S&W CS.45 for $400.00 out the door!
    Was that new or used?

One of the LGS tried to sell me a "slightly used" one for $500 a couple months ago.

save your money and buy a glock or a colt

Quote Originally Posted by PAPACHUCK
    Next month there is a gun show in my area, and I want to get a .45 for CCW. With a budget of $300.00-400.00 my initial choices are a
    Taurus PT745 or Bersa Thunder 45. I would appreciate any suggestions and comments if you have experience with these two models. Also if there are any other .45's that fit the CCW criteria and are in my price range, please let me know. So far these are the only ones I've found.

Thanks and happy packing!
    PAPACHUCK

After much internal debate, I have decided to part with my much beloved Marlin Camp Carbine (.45 ACP ) to help fund my .45 CCW. The next firearm I am considering is a Para-Ordnance CTX1345G, which is a OD 4.5" Para LDA with the carry treatment.
    pix773303750.jpg
    Any comments or suggestions?
    PAPACHUCK

Quote Originally Posted by SimmCity3
    Why is that? I currently have the Taurus PT745 and I haven't had any problems with it other than it shooting a little bit low. But I don't know if this is a problem with all of the PT745 models or just mine. I am no gun expert by any means at all. I am far from it honestly. I like the size of it and the fact that it is a .45
    I just personally haven't had good luck with them...I had a factory grip "explode" in my hand, multiple failures to feed, and trigger issues. May have been a stream of bad luck but it left a bad taste in my mouth.
    -Bill

"Better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it."

Quote Originally Posted by tegemu
    Initially Taurus developed a reputation for poor quality firearms. In recent years they have proven to be making an excellent product. I wouldn't hesitate to buy one, and have in the past.
    Maybe that's the issue then. The Taurus' I've owned were manufactured about five years ago.
    -Bill

"Better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it."

PAPACHUCK:
    I know Artz has an LDA, though I'm not sure which model, he seems pleased with his. I've fired a few rounds through a 3" LDA at the range a while back, the trigger was pretty smooth but the muzzle jump was a bit much for my taste. I prefer the Commander sized 1911s and up, they just work better for me and absorb enough recoil to be fun shooters. The model you're looking at could be a nice gun but no way to say for sure.

Ya' might try the Para Ord folder over on the 1911Forum to see if any owners can give their input. Generally speaking, I'm a SA 1911 purist but the LDA seems to work well and I've heard some promising user reviews. Good luck, let us know what you decide on.
    Jack

I can't say anything about a Taurus 745, but I have the Taurus 945 and the Bersa UC-45. I REALLY like both guns. The 945 is a full size .45 auto. Just like the full size 1911 (there are many here that will take issue with this statement), I wouldn't consider it a concealed carry gun personally, but it is an outstanding gun. The Bersa Ultra Compact's (9mm, .40 S&W, and .45 ACP) - in my opinion - are the most under rated compact pistols on the market today. Their Thunder 380 gets most of the publicity as an outstanding clone of the PPK - probably because the 380 has been around for decades and the big caliber compacts only since around '02 - but they are all oustanding guns. I have several Bersa compacts and would put them up against any other compact gun you can find... at twice the price.

A note of caution, the Bersa Ultra Compacts (they're also sold under the FireStorm name with a few cosmetic differences) in general have had no problems to speak of, but the early UC-45's, '03 or earlier, did have weak recoil springs and some problems with the extractors on some .45's also being weak. The situation has since been taken care of and the US Bersa importer (Eagle Imports) will replace the parts on request free of charge.

My personal Bersa favorite is the UC-9, with a 13rd magazine, if you decide to try something other than a .45. It's the gun I used the last time I qualifed for my CC permit. Even the instructor, a retired Texas ranger, was impressed by it. He initially thought it was a compact SIG or new compact Walther.
    "... Americans... we want a safe home, to keep the money we make and shoot bad guys." -- Denny Crane

Talking Ooooooooh TAC-4!

After much internal debate, I have decided to part with my much beloved Marlin Camp Carbine (.45 ACP ) to help fund my .45 CCW. The next firearm I am considering is a Para-Ordnance CTX1345G, which is a OD 4.5" Para LDA with the carry treatment.
    pix773303750.jpg
    Any comments or suggestions?
    PAPACHUCK
    Oh I LOVE the TAC-4 and how it feels in my hand! I may even get one eventually. But I'm not sure how I feel about using the LDA as a primary carry gun as I'm not sure how STURDY the action is itself. The trigger pull is sweeeeet and smooooth and maybe even a tad light for a crisis. Still better IMHO than a S.A. 1911 for me (hold the FLAMES folks!) although I have two of them. One thing is for sure, the 1911 design is best suited to a minimum 4" barrel. The ability to still set the safety is nice if you're going to have a gun with such a light trigger pull. Still, I really can't knock this as a choice. Give us a full report. With pics!
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Next month there is a gun show in my area, and I want to get a .45 for CCW. With a budget of $300.00-400.00 my initial choices are a
    Taurus PT745 or Bersa Thunder 45. I would appreciate any suggestions and comments if you have experience with these two models. Also if there are any other .45's that fit the CCW criteria and are in my price range, please let me know. So far these are the only ones I've found.

Thanks and happy packing!
    PAPACHUCK

I GOT IT!
    Not really CCW, but I couldn't help myself. As I was drooling over all the .45's at my local gun store yesterday, I found something that I couldn't put down. Springfield XD45 5" Tactical. Wow, what a Gun!
    Now is the tough part, waiting to shoot it!. It looks great next to my Glock 22 and KelTec P11. Kinda like Papa Bear, Mama Bear and Baby Bear! Finally I have my 9mm, .40S&W, and .45ACP Trio!
    Happy Happy Joy Joy...

P.S. I still need a .45 CCW

Congratulations on the XD, good guns. I got the chance to handle a Kahr 45 today when I went to make a payment on my Commander, it's definitely going on my "gonna get" list. It could actually replace my 642 as a BUG or deep concealment gun, it weighs next to nuthin' and packs 6+1 ACP rounds ... plus the grip profile fit me great and the front and back strap textures offer a really positive grip without feeling like a cheese grater.
    Jack

Ok, time for me to put in my .10 worth (inflation). I have several Taurus firearms. A PT-92 that I've owned for over 14 years, a PT-911 that I got last year, and a Model 617B that I got late last year. ALL three have worked flawlessly. The two automatics have never jammed, never failed to fire, and shoot pretty much on target. The 617B (7 shot .357 mag revolver) also works great, and I use it for a BUG when working Excutive protection details.

My latest pistol however, is the EAA Witness .45ACP full size steel. It holds 10+1 rounds, is no bigger than the PT-92, and no heavier than it. It works without fail, and I picked it up brand new for well under $400.00. I hope to get the 10mm conversion kit for it soon.

It's well to say that we should look to spend more money on a CCW gun, but I spend what I can afford. Fortunately for me, most of what I want is in my budget.

The problem I have with Glocks...well, call me old fashioned, but when I have to pull the trigger to disassemble a firearm, SOMETHING is wrong in Denmark!

Isn't that how that DEA agent ended up shooting him self in the leg?

As my first post and a carrier of a firearm for some 35 years I will say "good choice sir"! The XD9 Tactical is what I carry now.

I measure what is and is not acceptable by what works in competition. Which guns produce the most reliability and best times. Not just the name brand, specific guns mind you. The XD's are coming on strong. I find none better in my hand when I compete save a good custom 1911 than the XD.

Congrats and happy carrying!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links