Help on picking out a new .45 for carry

This is a discussion on Help on picking out a new .45 for carry within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Next month there is a gun show in my area, and I want to get a .45 for CCW. With a budget of $300.00-400.00 my ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Help on picking out a new .45 for carry

Help on picking out a new .45 for carry

Next month there is a gun show in my area, and I want to get a .45 for CCW. With a budget of $300.00-400.00 my initial choices are a
    Taurus PT745 or Bersa Thunder 45. I would appreciate any suggestions and comments if you have experience with these two models. Also if there are any other .45's that fit the CCW criteria and are in my price range, please let me know. So far these are the only ones I've found.

Thanks and happy packing!
    PAPACHUCK

2. Remove Ads

Does it have to be new? Because for that money you could probably get a good deal on a used Glock M30.

Welcome to the forum!
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Quote Originally Posted by ExSoldier
    Does it have to be new? Because for that money you could probably get a good deal on a used Glock M30.

Welcome to the forum!
    Great idea! I currently have a G22 and absolutly love it.
    I do have some reservations about the G30 though, as I believe I've seen some posts about the reliability of it, or am I confusing it with something else(G36?)?

Thanks for the reply.
    PAPACHUCK

Personal preferance...I would stay far away from Taurus semi-autos.
    -Bill

"Better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it."

RIA or Norinco 1911s are great values, my RIA is a great shooter and has never given me a reason not to trust it, $330 with 2 mags shipped and transferred.

You can also pick up a used Sig P220 from CDNN Investments in that price range.

My advice would be to save up more money and buy a higher quality firearm if you're looking for something new.

Good suggestion, save some money and get a better quality .45 for CCW (if you want a new one). Options may be the new Kahr PM45, Springfield XD, Para Ordnance are great ( I have their CCWX745S).
    MY GUN, MY RIGHT!!

JT
    Quote Originally Posted by PAPACHUCK
    I do have some reservations about the G30 though, as I believe I've seen some posts about the reliability of it, or am I confusing it with something else(G36?)?

Thanks for the reply.
    PAPACHUCK
    The G36 is the one with some questions about reliability. I have never heard any complaints about the G30 as far as reliability. Or anything else for that mater.

The G36 being the one and only single stack Glock had some design changes that may have led to some reliability problems. Even those seem pretty rare, but it seems to have had the most problems of any Glock.
    Blessed be the Lord my rock who trains my hands for war and my fingers for battle. Psalm 144:1

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Quote Originally Posted by WJP9
    Personal preference...I would stay far away from Taurus semi-autos.
    Why is that? I currently have the Taurus PT745 and I haven't had any problems with it other than it shooting a little bit low. But I don't know if this is a problem with all of the PT745 models or just mine. I am no gun expert by any means at all. I am far from it honestly. I like the size of it and the fact that it is a .45

Administrator

My G36 is 100% Reliable

No function problems with mine so far.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Quote Originally Posted by PAPACHUCK

Thanks for the reply.
    PAPACHUCK
    Well before I got my H&K USP 45 (present from the wife for taking a more dangerous but more lucrative teaching assignment deeper in the inner city) I'd have said that if I could only have ONE handgun and take it to a war....it'd be a Glock M30 w/tritium sights. Possibly the worst thing I have ever done in my entire life when it comes to selling a gun was to sell that baby. One of the best was to pick the H&K for a dedicated home defense gun. She just got me a SureFire X200 gunlight to hang underneath, so it's off my hip as a CCW gun.

Anyway, if you can pick up a Glock M30 you can't go any better for the money. Best, it will take the M21 hi-cap 13rd mags without trouble. Get one of the plastic "spacers" to provide a seamless grip.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Love my Model 30. No malfunctions, accurate, controllable, just ugly; but then, so am I, so we sorta fit...

VIP Member
    I really like my Kahr P45, but it will cost you more than $400 new.

If you can find one, I wholly recommend Beretta's outstanding Cougar or MiniCougar 8045F. If you want it in DAO, then get a 8045D. Awesome guns.
    USAF: Loving Our Obscene Amenities Since 1947

Distinguished Member Array fotomaker57's Avatar
    PAPACHUCK
    I have a question for you. What do you feel your lacking in your Glock 22 that you will make up for with a 45? Now I don't want this to turn into a 40 vs 45 war but just curious why he wants to leave the 40 for a 45. I swap back and forth between the 40 and 45 GAP and feel very comfortable with either.
    Mike
    The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.
    Thomas Jefferson

I'm not really a big Taurus fan, mainly from an innovative point of view. I'd look for a used Glock G30, Ruger P345, an EAA Witness compact or maybe one of the CZ pistols. The Bersa line has gotten rave reviews too so I'd have to see how it fit my grip and idea of concealability.
    Jack

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links